Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our early January trip. I still have a good feeling about them opening *knock on wood*. I just realized tonight about the transportation from LAX to DL. I don't know if I feel comfortable with Uber/Lansky. I'm half tempted to just rent a car for us to be on the extra safe side, but can't imagine driving in traffic lol Three lanes I can handle, but 5 or 6!!!

Yes, we will be in an airplane for ~2 hours, but something still seems different about a 30 minute car ride with a stranger :confused3Decisions, decisions.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our early January trip. I still have a good feeling about them opening *knock on wood*. I just realized tonight about the transportation from LAX to DL. I don't know if I feel comfortable with Uber/Lansky. I'm half tempted to just rent a car for us to be on the extra safe side, but can't imagine driving in traffic lol Three lanes I can handle, but 5 or 6!!!

Yes, we will be in an airplane for ~2 hours, but something still seems different about a 30 minute car ride with a stranger :confused3Decisions, decisions.
I would imagine any driver would be wearing a mask and very cautious? you have to take a shuttle bus to the car rentals at LAX. I am assuming every driver is masked up?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for our early January trip. I still have a good feeling about them opening *knock on wood*. I just realized tonight about the transportation from LAX to DL. I don't know if I feel comfortable with Uber/Lansky...
Uber, Lyft, and Lansky should have their safety protocols posted on their websites. I know that Uber has strict safety rules for drivers and passengers. I would imagine that holds true for Lyft, too. Lansky has been very good with customer service throughout this lockdown mess. Check their website for information and call if you have any questions.
By the way, will you be needing car seats or boosters? If so, then Lansky's is your best option or rental car and bring your own car seat/booster.

For those traveling to LAX, Van Nuys Airport, or Union Station:

https://www.flylax.com/travelsafely
ATTENTION ALL PASSENGERS ARRIVING INTO LOS ANGELES
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, Los Angeles is requiring all travelers entering the city from another state or country to fill out an online form, acknowledging that they have read and understood California’s travel advisory, which states that “Persons arriving in California from other states or countries, including returning California residents, should practice self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival.”

Travelers over the age of 16 must submit this form online prior to or upon arrival at Los Angeles International Airport, Van Nuys Airport, or Union Station. The form can be found at travel.lacity.org. Failure to submit the form is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Persons arriving in California from other states or countries, including returning California residents, should practice self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival. These persons should limit their interactions to their immediate household. This recommendation does not apply to individuals who cross state or country borders for essential travel which includes work and study, critical infrastructure support, economic services and supply chains, health, immediate medical care, and safety and security.

For those traveling to LAX, Van Nuys Airport, or Union Station:

https://www.flylax.com/travelsafely
ATTENTION ALL PASSENGERS ARRIVING INTO LOS ANGELES
To help stop the spread of COVID-19, Los Angeles is requiring all travelers entering the city from another state or country to fill out an online form, acknowledging that they have read and understood California’s travel advisory, which states that “Persons arriving in California from other states or countries, including returning California residents, should practice self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival.”

Travelers over the age of 16 must submit this form online prior to or upon arrival at Los Angeles International Airport, Van Nuys Airport, or Union Station. The form can be found at travel.lacity.org. Failure to submit the form is punishable by a fine of up to $500.
Interestingly, nobody mentioned this form to my friend and me this weekend. Not from the airline, not at LAX, not at the hotel... nowhere. If I hadn't seen it here, I wouldn't have even known about it. But I forgot all about it and didn't actually fill it out myself.

Interestingly, nobody mentioned this form to my friend and me this weekend. Not from the airline, not at LAX, not at the hotel... nowhere. If I hadn't seen it here, I wouldn't have even known about it. But I forgot all about it and didn't actually fill it out myself.

wow really, goodness, so I guess its not being enforced then,

Planning a trip to Disneyland this summer (hoping its open by then). We usually fly into Long Beach because its so close and we love that airport. There are some flights that are quite a bit cheaper into Burbank. Looks like its about 30 miles farther from Disneyland than the Long Beach airport. Has anyone had experience with using the Burbank airport for their Disneyland trips? What are your thoughts?

Burbank is much closer to Universal Studios. That being said, I've flown into it a few times to access DLR for the same reasons you're considering it - namely, price when LGB was too high or didn't have flights at the time of day I wanted to fly. Burbank might be a good if you want to do 1 day at USH, then go down to DLR, too.

Consider also that Ontario airport is closer with less traffic usually (depending on day of week/time of day) and often has cheap fares. The main issue with going to Burbank is LA traffic, in spite of there being 20 different freeways that will get you to DLR, frequently all of them will be parking lots (although I haven't flown there since the pandemic which has changed a lot of the traffic patterns as many Californians are working from home).

A lot of whether or not it is worth it to go for the cheaper flight fare depends on how many people you're flying because the transportation cost to get from Burbank to Anaheim will be a lot higher than from LGB. Usually I can get a Lyft for $10ish from SNA, $15-20 from LGB ... from Burbank the fare estimator you're looking at at least $70-80.

Last edited:
Burbank is much closer to Universal Studios. That being said, I've flown into it a few times to access DLR for the same reasons you're considering it - namely, price when LGB was too high or didn't have flights at the time of day I wanted to fly. Burbank might be a good if you want to do 1 day at USH, then go down to DLR, too.

Consider also that Ontario airport is closer with less traffic usually (depending on day of week/time of day) and often has cheap fares. The main issue with going to Burbank is LA traffic, in spite of there being 20 different freeways that will get you to DLR, frequently all of them will be parking lots (although I haven't flown there since the pandemic which has changed a lot of the traffic patterns as many Californians are working from home).

A lot of whether or not it is worth it to go for the cheaper flight fare depends on how many people you're flying because the transportation cost to get from Burbank to Anaheim will be a lot higher than from LGB. Usually I can get a Lyft for $10ish from SNA, $15-20 from LGB ... from Burbank the fare estimator you're looking at at least $70-80.
From either airport, we'd be renting a car, so the ground transportation cost isn't really an issue. We'll be arriving on a Saturday morning, and leaving mid-day on Wednesday, so hopefully traffic wouldn't be a huge issue. Thanks so much for your insight!!

From either airport, we'd be renting a car, so the ground transportation cost isn't really an issue. We'll be arriving on a Saturday morning, and leaving mid-day on Wednesday, so hopefully traffic wouldn't be a huge issue. Thanks so much for your insight!!
I have used BUR only a few times and really liked it. The first time was right after USH opened the Harry Potter Zone. My DGD is a huge fan of Harry Potter. For her graduation surprise, the two of us flew PDX to BUR for a day trip so she could experience everything it had to offer. I can still see the smile on her face!

Renting a car makes BUR a fine choice for a DLR trip. Especially if air fare is lower and the flight times are good for you. Be prepared for a LONG walk from the terminal to the rental car desks. But if you're going to DLR I'm sure you'll be ready for lots of walking.

Thanksgiving 2019, I took two grandkids (17 & 15) to Universal 2 days and Disney 5 days. Flying into BUK was very easy and flights were less expensive. Once we got to DLR we returned the car and use a taxi to SNA when it was time to go home.

Have a fun trip, hopefully Covid guidelines will be fading away by then.

Geemo

Have you looked into the Orange County Airport? That’s the closest one to DL but I know it can be pricier. I’ve flown into Burbank and it’s definitely better than flying into LAX. But, it’s further from DL and like others said, much closer to Universal Studios.

We lived in Pasadena for a couple years while we were local APs, so we did that drive to and from Disneyland (kind of, Pasadena is a little closer), a lot. If it’s a big savings and you’re coming on a Saturday, I think you could make Burbank work. Just leave LOTS of time to get back to the airport on Wednesday. 30 miles difference is not ever going to be 30 minutes with those routes, except maybe at 2am....unless there’s road construction. We once hit bad traffic at 7am on a Sunday morning headed to DLR due to road work.

I really like the Burbank airport. It’s small and easy to deal with, like Long Beach.

I agree with the recommendation to check Ontario. Flights to that airport are often inexpensive, and I’d much rather drive from there than from Burbank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter