Airport Transportation on Oahu and Maui

tgropp

DIS Veteran
My wife and I are taking our family to Hawaii in Feb 2021. We have been there before but this time with a larger group ( 6 adults, 3 children ages 9, 6 and 1 Needing transfers. We are looking for return transfers from Maui OGG airport to Marriott Maui Ocean Resort at Kaanapali Beach and then from Honolulu airport to Wakiki Beach, Wakiki Beach to Aulani and the Aulani to Honolulu airport. I am paying for everything so I am looking for someone who can steer me in the direction to save a little bit of money through their experiences. Thanks

Given the size of your party that will need transportation, I’m not sure how to save you money. Your best option will be to book a van or shared ride van for your transfers. Below are some tips:

1) OGG airport to Ka’anapali Beach is about 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on traffic. I don’t know what you plan to see on Maui, but you will need to rent a car or Uber to go anywhere on the island. There are several car rental places at the airport. If you have a Costco membership, you may be able to save some money on the car rental by booking through Costco Travel.

2) Waikiki Beach is about 15 minutes from HNL airport. You should easily be able to book a shuttle van rather inexpensively. Depending on where you’re staying, you may be able to walk to most sites or take the bus or trolley.

3). Hele Hele Transportation is the preferred service for Aulani; however, they only transport to/from the airport. You will have to call them to see if they will pick you up in Waikiki. The cost is $24 per person. You could also try Charley’s Taxi. If you decide to rent a van, Alamo is at Aulani.

Hope this information helps with your planning.

Thank You. We have been to and toured both islands before so at Maui I don’t need a car. I am seeing transportation for 6 adults and two children at approx. $450-$500 round trip from Maui OGG airport to Marriott Ocean Club at Ka’anapali Beach. Our children will do some tours while we babysit. Through Groupon, I found transportation for everyone from Honolulu airport to Wakiki Beach for under $100. I was thinking about renting two vehicles in Wakiki Beach for two days when we go to Aulanai. That would get us there and then we would have cars to tour the North Shore the next day. Being a DVC member I got free parking at Aulanai last visit but I am wondering if I get free parking for the second car since we have 8 people and a 2 BR. Then we will take your advice for Aulanai back to the airport. Again, Thanks for the advice!

You should be ok with the 2nd car at Aulani, but you may want to call to verify. This is from their website:

Parking for Disney Vacation Club Members and RCI Members
Disney Vacation Club Members can enjoy convenient self-parking at no daily charge for up to 2 vehicles. Here’s how it works:

If You Booked Using Your Vacation Points: You’ll automatically receive self-parking at no daily charge.
If You Booked a Vacation Rental Through Member Services in a Disney Vacation Club Villa or Studio: Please provide your Disney Vacation Club Membership Card information at the time of booking. When checking in at the Resort Front Desk, be sure to show your Membership Card and corresponding photo ID for validation.
(If you booked through the Disney Reservation Center, simply show your Disney Vacation Club Membership Card at the Front Desk to have the parking charge removed.)
If You Booked as an RCI Inbound Guest: You will receive self-parking at no daily charge.

Policy: Disney Vacation Club Members will not be charged an overnight parking fee when using their Membership to stay at a Disney Vacation Club Resort, regardless if they paid Vacation Points or cash, as long as their reservation was booked by Member Services or online at disneyvacationclub.com. This is also true for Guest-of-Member reservations and RCI Inbound Guests. Members also will not be charged an overnight parking fee when using Vacation Points to stay at an Aulani Resort hotel. This is also true for Guest-of-Member reservations. Disney Vacation Club Members will be charged for standard overnight parking when staying on a reservation booked through a travel agent, the Disney Reservation Center or disneyaulani.com.

Enjoy your trip.

Check out SpeediShuttle on Maui. I believe they have vans that can handle your party size. Unsure of cost though. Check out their website. Good luck!

We also used SpeediShuttle on Maui. They were easy to locate, right outside baggage claim, with a representative walking around that we could check-in with. We had changed our flight time a few months prior and changed our SpeediShuttle arrival time at that time as well, but they still had our old arrival info when we arrived. We had to wait about 30 minutes before they could fit us on the van, which was a little frustrating. We stayed at the Westin in the Kaapnapali area and the shuttle was a good hour drive, maybe a little longer with the other drop-offs it made in the area. On the return, they picked us up right on time. But the only other con I had was that I had to remember to call them the day before our departure to confirm our pick up time, and as I recall, I was on hold for a good 20 minutes for a 2 second call.

All that said, we'd probably use them again because their price point is good. If you can find a cheap van rental that fits your party, I would probably opt for renting car if the price is right just to give you more flexibility. Even though the drive was long-ish, we encountered very little traffic and it was an easy drive, straightforward drive to make.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!