AK rope drop with stroller - where to park for FOP?

lucky978

Mouseketeer
We will be visiting AK in March and are hoping to rope drop FOP. Our party consists of 5 adults and one 7 year old. We are planning on bringing an umbrella stroller for the 7 year old to make the trip easier for all of us (less walking, less tired, less cranky haha!).

How will this work with us trying to get to FOP quickly at rope drop? Where is the location to drop off the stroller for FOP?

Thanks!

Between FOP and the store in Pandora, there is a stroller parking lot to the left. There is also one to the left before the entrance to Navi River Journey. But I don't know how that would work with rope dropping, as I've never rope dropped anything with a stroller unless we were doing rider swap (so we didn't have to park the stroller before riding).

Are you planning to be in Animal Kingdom until close? If not, consider skipping the stroller for the morning. All kids are different, of course, but my youngest has been stroller-free since he was 4, and it's been mostly fine. Occasional whining, but not too disruptive. It was extremely freeing to not have a stroller between that time and baby #3 (who is a toddler now).

Between FOP and the store in Pandora, there is a stroller parking lot to the left. There is also one to the left before the entrance to Navi River Journey. But I don't know how that would work with rope dropping, as I've never rope dropped anything with a stroller unless we were doing rider swap (so we didn't have to park the stroller before riding).

Are you planning to be in Animal Kingdom until close? If not, consider skipping the stroller for the morning. All kids are different, of course, but my youngest has been stroller-free since he was 4, and it's been mostly fine. Occasional whining, but not too disruptive. It was extremely freeing to not have a stroller between that time and baby #3 (who is a toddler now).

we will be doing rider swap as I don’t think my niece will ride fop. How does that work? Could I sent the other adults to do fop at rope drop while I take my time with my niece, then they tell the cm they are with a child who isn’t riding? Doesn’t the child need to be with them?
Sorry for all the questions! This is the first tim I’ll be visiting with a small child in a very long time!

All of you will go to the ride entrance. There will be cast members there with tablets to help with rider swap. After they scan the bands of the second riders, the non-riders can do what they want while they wait. The stroller never needs to enter the main part of the queue. When party 1 finishes riding, the non-riders will use their rider swap to enter the fastpass line.

I have never done this at FOP, in particular, but here is what we do at Space Mountain. My husband takes the baby in the stroller ahead to the cast member setting up rider swap, which is right at the entrance to Space Mountain, while I hang back in the rope drop line. He tells the cast member we need rider swap. When I get up to the official line, he points me out, and the cast member scans his band and my kids' bands so they can ride with him while I watch the baby. I recommend sending the non-riders ahead to the rider swap cast member in this way because sometimes they're not as straight forward to find. For example, at Smuggler's Run, they're off to the side on a ramp. Sometimes FOP has it set up across the walkway from the ride, but it's usually right at the entrance.

A seven year old will almost certainly meet the height requirement for FOP. Reports are VERY inconsistent on whether CMs allow rider swap when the child meets the height at popular attractions, because it is a system that can be easily abused (e.g., party of 5 is only able to book 2 FPs, so uses rider swap to get "extra" FPs for the remaining 3). I know that's not what you're trying to do here since you are all rope dropping with no FPs, but I just want to flag the issue so you're aware it might not be allowed with a 7 year old.

If I were you, I'd park the stroller somewhere in the central discovery area outside of Pandora before you get in the queue for rope drop that forms at the Pandora entrance. That way, you don't have to mess with finding a spot for it once the rope drop crowd starts moving, and you can return to it after finishing the Pandora rides.

it might not be allowed with a 7 year old
Oh ok. I wasn’t aware of that. She probably does meet the requirement but she most likely will not want to ride. We will give it a try and see what happens. Could she wait in the line with us and then not go on the ride?

She can wait in line with you but if she decides not to ride, one of the adults will have to leave the ride and wait outside with her. It's really a very fun ride, a little thrilling but not scary. My four year old loved it!

edit to add: if she decides to bail, the CM*may* give you a FP for your trouble, but it's not guaranteed.

She can wait in line with you but if she decides not to ride, one of the adults will have to leave the ride and wait outside with her. It's really a very fun ride, a little thrilling but not scary. My four year old loved it!

edit to add: if she decides to bail, the CM*may* give you a FP for your trouble, but it's not guaranteed.

I'm hoping she does! The 7 year old is my niece, this is her first trip to Disney (and this will be our first day/first ride). I just don't want to ruin the week by scaring her by convincing her to go on a ride she may not like. Her parents won't be with us...so I'm not exactly sure what to expect LOL!

I would be surprised if a 7 year old would not like this ride, unless they were very timid or easily afraid of new things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter