AKL / MNSSHP August 2018 (and Gatorland)! My first PTR!

So with flights booked, ADR's are only about a week away!! My mother takes charge of that, and with our selections we usually don't have trouble, or maybe just need to change one place.

However, for the HEA dessert party, which I am really into, this idea is still up in the air. I am absolutely interested in this, however I casually brought it up to my sister (I was considering doing tickets for her birthday as a surprise), and she responded, "no offense but don't waste your money". I get a bonus from my work for being at the company for five years in May, which comes out to the tickets for the three of us. I totally forgot about this, and indicated I could use it and it basically wouldn't cost anything, and was told, "just put it in saving's, don't worry about it." (She means well just has strong opinions)

... so, I am on the fence about the dessert party. If my mother is still really into the idea, I may just do it. I have only heard good things about the dessert party. My attitude at this point is if I can get tickets I shall go for it, but won't lose sleep over it. We'll see.

The other thing is MNSSHP (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party), which we went to the first night last year. We will also try to get tickets for this, if it is open on our last night. My mother and sister LOVED it!! I had mixed feelings, but would go again. I chalk this up mostly to the fact that is was MUCH more crowded than I thought it was supposed to be. In my opinion, it was not much less crowded than a regular night and it was SEARING HOT.

I do not do well in the heat, and even the Podcast crew said the heat was bad. However, it was less crowded than I thought at the time, and in hindsight a very nice time.

I thought the way they decorated the station was incredibly cool!!!

Therefore, pending matters right now are ADRS, HEA Dessert Part, MNSSHP, and FP's!

Hopefully as I can start running the Art Museum steps (in Philadelphia) again as the weather warms up, and the time will start to go faster!

22449893_1729172133821210_6368526337587557938_n.jpg

22141037_10214104803157179_1002168203092656652_n.jpg

I am happy to report that all ADR's requested have been successfully booked (see post #7) and also for the preferred time of 5:00pm-ish!!

Also, for the 16th since we are in a day early, we snagged an ADR for Chef Art Smith's in Disney Springs!

Chef-Arts-Florida-Fish-Camp_Full_28390.jpg

We love that sort of cooking and are looking forward to it!!

Also in the works, is a possible visit to Gatorland on the 17th (which was the day we were supposed to arrive). I have heard amazing things about it, and my sister is enthusiastic about it!! (I'm guessing my mother will not go for it!)

gatorland-tickets.jpg

Has anyone gone? Thoughts on it! I get a small cash bonus for being at my company for five years in May and thought I would use the money to go! I'm still thinking about it, but will probably go for it!

What is it that you like about Cape May and Olivia's? Are they both buffets?

We did go to Whispering Canyon and were not big fans either. However, we did enjoy Hoop dee doo's food and I have read that trail's end is similar.

I didn't even consider Gatorland...we were looking at Discovery Cove (we thought it might be nice to have some downtime) but decided to just stick to the Disney bubble since we have a friend coming with us this time. Are you considering the zip line over the gators?

What is it that you like about Cape May and Olivia's? Are they both buffets?

We did go to Whispering Canyon and were not big fans either. However, we did enjoy Hoop dee doo's food and I have read that trail's end is similar.

I didn't even consider Gatorland...we were looking at Discovery Cove (we thought it might be nice to have some downtime) but decided to just stick to the Disney bubble since we have a friend coming with us this time. Are you considering the zip line over the gators?

Cape May Cafe is a seafood (but they have a wide variety of dishes) buffet at the Beach Club. It is about a ten minute walk from the WorldShow Case and I highly suggest it! We thought we would try a few new places, and my sister picked Olivia's which I do not believe is a buffet, and is at the Old Key West resort. It looks seems to have pretty light, casual fare. Also, my sister LOVES the old Florida/ Keys sort of theme.

I probably will not try the zip line due to the cost (its $70 a person)! My sister HATES Seaworld after the Blackfish documentary, therefore I was shot down. Since we have an extra day I thought it might be nice to get out of the Disney bubble for at least an afternoon.

Hey fellow August traveller. The title of your PTR caught my eye. We will be staying at Kidani village at the end of August, for my daughter's graduation trip. I noted your comment about hoping for the first Halloween party on Saturday 25th. I think, judging by park hours, it will be Friday 17th, with another on Friday 24th and a third in August on the 28th. I could be wrong though, just based on MK closing at 6pm those nights.

As far as suggestions for activities around Fort Wilderness, the Segway tour is great fun but kinda pricey. It is a nice area just to walk around, there is a lovely walking trail from FW to WL so you could check out that resort too.

Will be following along with your plans :-)

Hey fellow August traveller. The title of your PTR caught my eye. We will be staying at Kidani village at the end of August, for my daughter's graduation trip. I noted your comment about hoping for the first Halloween party on Saturday 25th. I think, judging by park hours, it will be Friday 17th, with another on Friday 24th and a third in August on the 28th. I could be wrong though, just based on MK closing at 6pm those nights.

As far as suggestions for activities around Fort Wilderness, the Segway tour is great fun but kinda pricey. It is a nice area just to walk around, there is a lovely walking trail from FW to WL so you could check out that resort too.

Will be following along with your plans :-)

Thanks for following along!!

Last year we went to the first one on the 26th, and rumors abound that the first one this year will be one week earlier! We'll see!

I have heard the Fort Wilderness Area is very old Disney and am looking for it!

We had added a day at Gatorland, which certainly looks very cool. I have heard excellent things about it. Anyone have any tips or experiences related to Gatorland they might care to convey?

We had added a day at Gatorland, which certainly looks very cool. I have heard excellent things about it. Anyone have any tips or experiences related to Gatorland they might care to convey?

We have been to Gatorland numerous times. It's very laid back, not crowded and just a nice casual day of walking around and seeing the cool gators. They also have a few shows that are pretty cool also. They have a few snack bars that you can get fast food but you might be better off getting a bite to eat and then eating someplace after you leave. I would say it's a half day park, probably 4 hours is enough to see most things. We might go this August also. Don't forget to see the white albino gator, really neat.

We have been to Gatorland numerous times. It's very laid back, not crowded and just a nice casual day of walking around and seeing the cool gators. They also have a few shows that are pretty cool also. They have a few snack bars that you can get fast food but you might be better off getting a bite to eat and then eating someplace after you leave. I would say it's a half day park, probably 4 hours is enough to see most things. We might go this August also. Don't forget to see the white albino gator, really neat.

I am glad to hear you liked it! I have not gotten much feedback on different boards and pages, but most people seem to have the same view as yourself. Thanks!!

If I may ask one follow-up question, are you available to advise about how much of a drive Gatorland is from WDW property (AKL)? I have looked at Google Maps on various days at the times we would go, and it seems to be about a 25 minute drive each way. However, some told me it is substantially longer (i.e. 45 minutes).

If I may ask one follow-up question, are you available to advise about how much of a drive Gatorland is from WDW property (AKL)? I have looked at Google Maps on various days at the times we would go, and it seems to be about a 25 minute drive each way. However, some told me it is substantially longer (i.e. 45 minutes).
We never actually went from WDW. The times we went we were staying in the Orlando area and one time we were coming from the SeaWorld area. I know it is not in a busy/congested area. It was quite easy to get to, so maybe the traffic was from the WDW area. Hope you have a great time![/QUOTE]

I am happy to report that all ADR's requested have been successfully booked (see post #7) and also for the preferred time of 5:00pm-ish!!

Also, for the 16th since we are in a day early, we snagged an ADR for Chef Art Smith's in Disney Springs!

Chef-Arts-Florida-Fish-Camp_Full_28390.jpg

We love that sort of cooking and are looking forward to it!!

Also in the works, is a possible visit to Gatorland on the 17th (which was the day we were supposed to arrive). I have heard amazing things about it, and my sister is enthusiastic about it!! (I'm guessing my mother will not go for it!)

gatorland-tickets.jpg

Has anyone gone? Thoughts on it! I get a small cash bonus for being at my company for five years in May and thought I would use the money to go! I'm still thinking about it, but will probably go for it!
I have not been, but I have a cousin who went with his family and loved it! Love your zebra-dome tagline, btw. Thanks for linking your trip report in Jambo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter