AKV - Kidani Village Please Help!!!!!

Polynesian27

Mouseketeer
My wife and I and our 1 year 4 month old son are planning a trip for this coming July or Aug for 1 week in a 1 bedroom. My mother-in-law is now joining us for the trip which we are both excited about, but is the reason we have to look for a 1 bedroom besides a stuido. We need 2 bathrooms so our choices are limit with only BLT and AKV(Kidani), however we are looking at renting points and it seems like the BLT is booked solid. Can you guys help me answer some question about Kidani?!! I know this is a lot so please don't think you have to answer all my questions LOL!!

1. I hear complaints about the distance to all the parks (beside AK of course), is it really a long trip? Are there stops along the way (AKL first then AKV?)....

2. My wife says that QS is a must, how long of a walk is it from Kidani to the Qucik Service/Food Court at AKL? Is the walk nice?

3.Is the pool at AKV Kidani a good place to splash around for my little guy? Are the Jambo pools better for toddlers?

4. Is the Savannah view really worth it and does it stink lol?!?

5. Is the bed in the 1 Bedroom a King or Queen?

6. Is there a place to refill your resort mug at Kidani?

7. What are your top 3 biggest PROs of Kidani?

8. What are your top 3 biggest CONs of Kidani?

Buses going to a Theme Park from Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge will start at Kidani Village and make a stop at Jambo House and then go direct to the Theme Park. There are no other stops. Downtown Disney buses run in the opposite order (Jambo House then Kidani Village). Honestly, I don't feel the distance is that far from any of the Theme Parks.

As for the walk to Jambo House for QS, it's maybe 10 minutes. Bell Services also runs a van between the buildings.

There is a king bed in the master bedroom and the living room has a sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair.

The gift shop in the lobby has a mug refill station as does the pool bar.

My wife and I and our 1 year 4 month old son are planning a trip for this coming July or Aug for 1 week in a 1 bedroom. My mother-in-law is now joining us for the trip which we are both excited about, but is the reason we have to look for a 1 bedroom besides a stuido. We need 2 bathrooms so our choices are limit with only BLT and AKV(Kidani), however we are looking at renting points and it seems like the BLT is booked solid. Can you guys help me answer some question about Kidani?!! I know this is a lot so please don't think you have to answer all my questions LOL!!

1. I hear complaints about the distance to all the parks (beside AK of course), is it really a long trip? Are there stops along the way (AKL first then AKV?)....

2. My wife says that QS is a must, how long of a walk is it from Kidani to the Qucik Service/Food Court at AKL? Is the walk nice?

3.Is the pool at AKV Kidani a good place to splash around for my little guy? Are the Jambo pools better for toddlers?

-----------------------------------
1. We've only stayed at Kidani - we had no issues with the buses. They stop at Kidani first then Jambo for parks and at Jambo then Kidani for DTD. And, we never had to wait long for trips to/from parks, etc. We didn't mind the bus rides, but we are the "go with the flow" type of people when on vacation. Even at other resorts - no bus problems that we'd complain about.

2. The walk to QS at Jambo isn't bad IMO. The walk isn't "nice" in the sense that there's pretty scenery. (It's along the parking lot area). But we personally didn't mind the casual stroll to and back when we used the QS. Not sure if there is more than one walk area to get there. And, there is a shuttle that goes between the 2. In addition, you can always hop a park bus and get off at Jambo.

3. Sorry, we only used Kidani pool. Didn't even check out Jambo...we loved our pool. Hopefully others can help you out here.

4. We love the Savannah view. We saw lots of animals when we were there. It seemed peaceful to watch them graze around. And, no, it didn't "Stink."

5. King Bed in the master BR.

6. You can refull mugs in the gift shop (lobby) and at the pool.

7/8. Since we have only stayed at Kidani - have no other comparison right now. But we loved it so much, we are taking family back with us in January and have booked a 2 BR and a studio.

I would suggest you request a room near the lobby. As some of the rooms can be a hike to the lobby area... some people don't like that. But again, we are just happy to be on vacation so we pretty much just enjoy the time together and being at WDW.

Teri
:tink:

1. I hear complaints about the distance to all the parks (beside AK of course), is it really a long trip? Are there stops along the way (AKL first then AKV?)....I just don't understand the complaints. I love Kidani. 20 mins tops if that.

2. My wife says that QS is a must, how long of a walk is it from Kidani to the Qucik Service/Food Court at AKL? Is the walk nice? Its a nice walk. About 10 mins. They do have a shuttle. Just ask out front.

3.Is the pool at AKV Kidani a good place to splash around for my little guy? Are the Jambo pools better for toddlers? To me Kidani is better. They have a splash area. Its like a water jungle gym. He will love it. The pool is zero entry.

4. Is the Savannah view really worth it and does it stink lol?!?Savannah view does not stink. It is worth it.

5. Is the bed in the 1 Bedroom a King or Queen? Its a King.

6. Is there a place to refill your resort mug at Kidani? Yes it is located in the gift shop. Closes at 11pm.

7. What are your top 3 biggest PROs of Kidani?1. The buses stops there first going to parks. 2. The pool area is better for younger kids. 3. The intimacy. Jambo can be overwhelming.

8. What are your top 3 biggest CONs of Kidani1. No counterservice. 2. Walking to Jambo. But really no biggie. 3. Just like Jambo.....the long hallways.

I hope you have a great time. Kidani is one of my favorites.

IMO, it is better to stay at Kidani than Jambo. I really liked having the bus pick us up first especially with young kids and a stroller. The splash area is fun for kids; my kids loved it! The zero entry is great also. I think the savanna view is definitely worth it- great for young kids.

The Kidani 1BR gives you the two bathrooms, ideal for your group. It is also a large room, larger than Jambo and other DVC 1BRs except for OKW. We have found the bus system to be good, better than others. The trip to AK is about 8 minutes, to the other parks 20 to 25. The distance is longer than from other DVC resorts but it is often quicker because you only have two resort stops and no stops at other resorts.

We do not stay at AKV without savanna view. It is worth the points as long as you are going to spend some time at the resort. In other words, if you intend to get up in morning, immediately leave and then don't come back until after dark each day, then savanna view might not be worth it because you may never see animals. Otherwise, it is well worth having.

For Kidani, consider a request for close to lobby or close to community hall. Those are essentially the same request, putting you near the lobby, restaurant, pool, bus stop and store. You want to try to avoid being far from lobby. The walk from lobby to rooms at the end of the north wing is extreme, about 1/3 mile and you don't want to be doing that carrying a little one after spending a day in the park. The pool is fine with a toddler, there is also the kids water play area with a mini pool.

If you are renting a car, be aware that parking at Kidani is ideal, on the ground floor under the building and with two elevators down each wing, you can always find a parking space that is fairly close to your room no matter where it is.

The walk from front door to front door Kidani to Jambo is about 1/2 mile, you can also take bus and they run a shuttle between the two (ask people at valet for shuttle). If counter service is an absolute must you might want to consider staying at Jambo because it does take some time to make the trip. The walk is OK but still takes 10 minutes, although much less if staying near end of south Wong of Kidani since you can take elevator near end to street level and walk becomes only a 1/4 mile.

Kidani has no quick, counter service restaurant, Jambo does, Sanaa is table service and one of the more impressive restaurants at WDW. Boma at Jambo is an excellent buffet and Jiko's at Jambo is also good table service place.

Three best things about Kidani are resort design including theming and having parking right under the building, large 1 and 2BRs which are also excellently designed, and savanna view with the animals. The three worst things are an extremely long walk if you end up with room far from lobby, only a table service restaurant though it is excellent, and not enough places around the pool to find shade.

At the beginning of this month we did a split stay AKV Kidani/OKW with my mother, my wife and two kids (age 1 and 3). I know you did the OKW post so you are basically in the same position as me: going with the mom and your family together and looking at Kidani or OKW.

I'd strongly advise you to do Kidani. We loved Kidani, we disliked OKW. Kidani has two bathrooms, OKW has one. Don't underestimate the benefit of this second bathroom. Kidani balcony experience: The animals were amazing; OKW balcony experience: you will see a tree, a building, and a fairway.

The bus stops at Kidani first, then Jambo, then the park with no more stops. It takes maybe 20 minutes to get to MK, 10 minutes Epcot/HS, 5 minutes AK. Buses were frequent and we never had to wait long.

The walk from Kidani to Jambo can be long depending on where you are. We were in the Pumbaa section (the top of the E) so we had the longest walk. Honestly it was like 10-15 minute walk. But you could jump on any park bus and get to Jambo quickly (less than 2 minutes on the bus). But I'll tell you this much: QS is a problem at both Kidani and OKW so you're kinda hosed no matter which one you choose.

Kidani's child splash area is AMAZING. Just look it up on YouTube and you will be amazed. There is also a zero entry main pool. Kidani's pool area for a 1.5 year old is in a completely different ballpark (much better) than OKW. OKW is like a 90 year old minor league park and Kidani is Camden Yards.

The Savannah view was amazing. We saw Giraffes, Zebras, Ostriches, Giant cow looking things with huge antlers. There is no odor so don't worry about that. One morning I woke up early and sat on the balcony when the sun came up and it was amazing watching the animals appear.

King. And the master bathroom is amazing.

Gift shop in the Kidani lobby (5-10 minute walk for us and we were as far away as you can get) and pool.

It was so amazing we are considering buying there for our next DVC points (right now we own at VWL). For your situation (Mother-in-law + family) the biggest pro is the second bathroom. Don't underestimate this. Your wife will love not sharing a bathroom with her mother. Layout of the unit is very good. The animals are amazing. The Master Bathroom is amazing. It's huge, has the whirpool tub and a separate shower, the toilet is in a little closet thing so someone can be "going" while someone else is showering or whatever. I think it had two sinks. The master bedroom is large and comfortable. We fit the pack in play in the master bedroom and still had tons of extra room to walk around.

Most importantly: Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani "feels" like you are in a wonderful resort hotel. Old Key West "feels" like you are in a retirement community.

Quick Service is an issue. But if you're choosing between Kidani and OKW you're kinda hosed on quick service no matter which one you choose. The kitchen is smaller than OKW so if you plan on having two people in the kitchen at once it will be uncomfortable (not sure how much cooking you'll do). It is "dark" as in dark wood and dark curtains so during the day it can feel dark in the rooms. OKW feels bright and cheery in the living room.

Just have a quick question what time does Johari open the the morning? I know it closes at 11p. But I need my coffee fix in the morning:). Thanks!!

My advise: don't over-think it. Book Kidani Savanna View and don't look back. I'm 99% sure you and the kids will love it.

If you dwell on it and get too much feedback you may take some of the wonderful surprise elements of the resort away.

I know most of your questions have already been answered. But, I just wanted to add that we stayed at Kidani in Nov. 2011 and LOVED it. We did not have a savannah view, but we went outside to the viewing areas and loved looking from there. We also enjoyed the feel of the resort. It truly is a unique experience and it feels like you are in another world. Also, for us it was the most peaceful resort. We are going back this November!

1 more for do it and don't look back, we are going again saturday for 9 nights it will be our 6th time at Kidani and we love it. Always do the savanna view when you can. Last time we had 4 giraffes sleeping out side our window 2 nights in a row, toui never know what you will see

Larry

I just wanted to extend a big thank you to everyone for their feedback! Do the animals stay out all night or can you only see them from 8am-5pm say?

I just wanted to extend a big thank you to everyone for their feedback! Do the animals stay out all night or can you only see them from 8am-5pm say?

The animals are out all day, sleep and eat outside, except when bad weather (read: hurricane) is expected. They do bring them in in the morning hours for daily checks to make sure they're all healthy and use that time to do any work needed with them. You'll see all the giraffe disappear for an hour or so, same with the cattle, zebra, etc - but they rotate and they're not all inside at once.

I agree with the poster who said just book Kidani and don't look back. We have stayed there three times and all have been fabulous! The walk to Jambo is not bad and remember you also have some quick food items down in the giftshop that could hold you over in emergencies....microwaveable kids meals and such. My kids preferred the Kidani pool area a million times over the Jambo area too!

Do the animals stay out all night or can you only see them from 8am-5pm say?
The animals are out all night. The savannas are lit, like what you would see with a full moon. We enjoy sitting out on the balcony watching the animals after dark. The staff continues to put out food as late as 10:30pm-ish, so you will see giraffes, zebras, etc. walking around late at night. It's also interesting to see who sleeps near your balcony. On our last stay at Kidani, the ankole cattle slept near our room every night. We didn't see them much during the day but our section of Kidani seemed to be their preferred sleeping spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter