AKV Resort Trip Report

apollosdad

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone, with AKV still being pretty new and me being new to the Dis I figured I'd give an AKV trip report. I plan to only discuss the room/resort and stay away from the park half of it

My wife and i stayed in room 5413 from 9/12 to 9/18. The first Savannah View room from the lobby on the 5th floor. Great room. LCD TV and DVD player were nice. There were 2 remotes for the TV and neither worked all that well, the TV was very slow to respond. Bed was better than expected, my wife and I slept fine. Fridge was great and if i remember correctly from last year at BWV, the AKV fridge seems a little larger. Vanity and kitchenette area was nice. Bathroom and Shower were also fine, no complaints at all with the room itself. Also, there was not a peep of construction noise. I think that whole issue has been way blown out of proportion.

The view from the room was absolutely amazing. I had been to AKL a few times to eat but had never stayed there. Everytime I looked outside I saw Ankole Cattle and Zebra's. About 70% of the time I saw giraffes and Kudu's. Also, some other birds and Bongos were around. Once again, i was VERY impressed and happy with the view and the amount of animals we saw. I wish i could put up pictures I took from the Balcony.

I think everyone is familiar with the dining options at AKL so i'll keep this part short. Simply that Boma was good as usual and Mara was very efficient. For a relatively small place i was surprised how uncrowded it was. Also, you can get a small (12 oz) refillable soda there for $1.25. Not a refillable mug, but fine for eating in the area.

Bus service was also very good. Never waited all that long for any bus (15 mins max). One thing I was a little worried about was the valet parking. I had heard of DVC members being charged by the Valet for parking. However, the valets immediately asked me when I pulled up if i was a DVC member and every time I valeted or picked up my car they were sure to confirm i was a DVC member. Sure enough, i did not get charged for valet, so I was happy.

I'm stretching to think of some things I would change. We did borrow a DVD one night, from the gift shop. I remember BWV having a much larger supply of movies. AKV seemed to just have Disney movies. Also, I thought the DVC merchandise at AKV was pretty sparse. I'm sure that will improve with the new building.

Overall it was a great trip and I certainly see myself returning once the new building is up. Please, ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Welcome to the Dis Boards!!

I'm glad you had a great trip. My sister and I will be arriving this Sunday (23rd) for a week at AKV:cool1: . We will be staying in a Savannah view studio(is that what you stayed in? It sounds like it). I understand there isn't a closet, but a armoire for your clothes - is that right? Also, is there a ironing board and iron?

TIA

Sandy, I'm jealous that you are going then. I'm sure the parks will be even quieter in late september than they were last week. Yes, there is an armoire type thing. I would equate it more to a standalone closet. There is still a dresser which the TV is on where you can put clothes. The Armoire is pretty large but not obtrusive. Yes, there is an ironing board and iron in it. Also, yes, I was in a studio Savannah View. Have a great trip

Thanks for posting the report.

Did you happen to see how they were coming on the new building?

Hi Everyone, with AKV still being pretty new and me being new to the Dis I figured I'd give an AKV trip report. I plan to only discuss the room/resort and stay away from the park half of it

My wife and i stayed in room 5413 from 9/12 to 9/18. The first Savannah View room from the lobby on the 5th floor. Great room. LCD TV and DVD player were nice. There were 2 remotes for the TV and neither worked all that well, the TV was very slow to respond. Bed was better than expected, my wife and I slept fine. Fridge was great and if i remember correctly from last year at BWV, the AKV fridge seems a little larger. Vanity and kitchenette area was nice. Bathroom and Shower were also fine, no complaints at all with the room itself. Also, there was not a peep of construction noise. I think that whole issue has been way blown out of proportion.

The view from the room was absolutely amazing. I had been to AKL a few times to eat but had never stayed there. Everytime I looked outside I saw Ankole Cattle and Zebra's. About 70% of the time I saw giraffes and Kudu's. Also, some other birds and Bongos were around. Once again, i was VERY impressed and happy with the view and the amount of animals we saw. I wish i could put up pictures I took from the Balcony.

I think everyone is familiar with the dining options at AKL so i'll keep this part short. Simply that Boma was good as usual and Mara was very efficient. For a relatively small place i was surprised how uncrowded it was. Also, you can get a small (12 oz) refillable soda there for $1.25. Not a refillable mug, but fine for eating in the area.

Bus service was also very good. Never waited all that long for any bus (15 mins max). One thing I was a little worried about was the valet parking. I had heard of DVC members being charged by the Valet for parking. However, the valets immediately asked me when I pulled up if i was a DVC member and every time I valeted or picked up my car they were sure to confirm i was a DVC member. Sure enough, i did not get charged for valet, so I was happy.

I'm stretching to think of some things I would change. We did borrow a DVD one night, from the gift shop. I remember BWV having a much larger supply of movies. AKV seemed to just have Disney movies. Also, I thought the DVC merchandise at AKV was pretty sparse. I'm sure that will improve with the new building.

Overall it was a great trip and I certainly see myself returning once the new building is up. Please, ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Welcome to the DIS boards, and welcome home. Thanks for the great report, please keep any other input coming. Keep watching the boards so that you can help other newcombers (to AKV especially).

Thanks again, Rob

I did take a look at where the new building was being constructed. At this point not too much to report. A large fence up around the area (that you could see through). A good amount of earth has been dug up and moved along with a lot of construction vehicles in place. However, no real structure at this point to report on. I hope it comes up soon.

Welcome to the Dis :thumbsup2

Glad to hear things are ship shape at AKV. I can't wait to give it a try!

Sandy, I'm jealous that you are going then. I'm sure the parks will be even quieter in late september than they were last week. Yes, there is an armoire type thing. I would equate it more to a standalone closet. There is still a dresser which the TV is on where you can put clothes. The Armoire is pretty large but not obtrusive. Yes, there is an ironing board and iron in it. Also, yes, I was in a studio Savannah View. Have a great trip

Apollosdad, thank you so much for responding to my question, 3 more days, I can't wait:cool1:

Welcome to the DIS and thanks for the report. Were you on Zebra Trail?

Can you tell me if the shop has the standard DVC supply of milk, bread, and eggs?

yes. butter and donuts, juice. not much else, though. A down sized selection to go with the downsized fridge, perhaps?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter