Aladdin

luvflorida

DIS Veteran
We went to see Aladdin this evening, and I have to say, we really enjoyed it! When I got home, I read some of the reviews that have come out, and I was surprised at how negative they are. Most critics are not giving the movie very favorable reviews.

I know it would be very hard to top the original animated Aladdin, which is indeed a masterpiece. Although the new live action movie doesn't surpass the original, we thought it was very enjoyable and entertaining!:) We even heard a bit of applause at the end from a few people in the theater.

Has anyone else seen it yet? I say don't listen to the critics! Go see the movie!

I wasn’t going to see it when I heard Will Smith was the Genie. I was on the fence when I saw the first trailer and Genie was blue. It’s now on my hell no list due to seeing the Prince Ali song. It’s so slow, and flat, and just..ugh.

It’s hard to remake something that was built around such a legend the first time.

I am excited to see it. I have enjoyed all the live action remakes. I like to see the changes they make.

Loved Robin Williams and I love Will Smith. I am sure Will has made the genie his own without trying to be like Robin.

I wasn’t going to see it when I heard Will Smith was the Genie. I was on the fence when I saw the first trailer and Genie was blue. It’s now on my hell no list due to seeing the Prince Ali song. It’s so slow, and flat, and just..ugh.

It’s hard to remake something that was built around such a legend the first time.

I wasn't too crazy about Will Smith taking on the role of the Genie, either. I just couldn't see it. However, we thought he did a great job!

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the Prince Ali number, too! I agree, I don't think anything can top the original Aladdin, but this version is still enjoyable!

I saw it tonight and thought it was pretty good. Mena Massoud was great as Aladdin. Will Smith didn't try to be Robin Williams and he did a good job. It wasn't perfect but I really enjoyed it :)

I wasn't going to go see it. But I will need to get out of the house on Sunday so I will likely go see it then.

We just got back. My husband thought it was good. My daughter hated it. I thought it was okay. This is one Disney film that we will not be buying for our collection.

No thanks. Not a fan of either Will Smith, Disney live action remakes or political correctness.

I have a question for you. It’s not snarky or meant in a bad way, I’m genuinely curious.

As a gay man, why aren’t you happy with political correctness? Would you rather have same sex marriage banned? Would you rather all the horrible stereotypes be allowed on tv, and in movies? Would you like if the boards allowed us to use gay slurs?

I don’t want to argue with you, so if you are looking for a fight just ignore this.

I saw the preview in DL, and I thought it looked terrific. I was feeling meh about it beforehand. The bad review from the NYT is a bummer, but I plan on watching it anyway. I didn't care for Dumbo, but my daughter liked it. I really like Tim Burton, so I was really disappointed that is wasn't a better movie.

DD18 texted me last week to ask if I wanted to see it. I told her that after seeing it on Broadway with Michael James Scott as Blue Genie - the movie will be a let down. She wrote back "true" I saw James Corden's Crosswalk (the extended 11 minute version at it was cute.

political correctness.

This is literally the first I heard this term used for this remake. I'm curious where it comes from.

Personally, I'm not going to see it because I don't see a point in watching the remakes. It's the same story, only without cartoons.

My 8YO went with some of her friends last night - yes there was an adult there - and she LOVED it, she said it was really funny. Maybe 8YO girls is the target audience?

We saw the extended trailer at Disney Studios last month. I didn’t have any interest until we saw that. We really liked the trailer & it made us decide to see the movie this weekend.

This is literally the first I heard this term used for this remake. I'm curious where it comes from.

Personally, I'm not going to see it because I don't see a point in watching the remakes. It's the same story, only without cartoons.

I think they changed the story from Jasmine looking for a husband to Jasmine fighting for women's rights.

I think they changed the story from Jasmine looking for a husband to Jasmine fighting for women's rights.
Yeah, I had to read an article to get to the part where I found out that Jasmine went from "not wanting to marry a prince" (and ends up marrying a prince) to "wanting to be Sultan" and just happens to fall in love with Aladdin.

Is that @L&Lfan's issue?

Maybe I'm remembering the original wrong...it has been a really long time since I watched it, but I thought Jasmine was kind of feminist in the first movie, so having her be interested in women's rights in the new movie wouldn't be straying too far from the original. She was NOT looking for a husband in the orignal. Didn't she run away to actually avoid being married off to some random prince? Her dad was looking for her to get married, but she wasn't the least interested in it until she met and fell in love with "Prince Ali". Then if she *had* to get married, she wanted to marry him. I think she mostly didn't want to marry a stranger, or worse, Jafar. That's not the same thing as she was looking for a husband.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter