Alamo vs Dollar

mbethel

Mouseketeer
Alamo or dollar? Would you pay $35 more to go with Alamo? I have the membership programs with both-do they both allow you to pick out your own car at MCO?

Only Alamo allows you to pick your car. You can skip the counter with Dollar, but they assign you a car.

Last time I rented from Dollar (admittedly, years ago), the assigned the car.

Just my opinion, but if I can afford the vacation, I can afford the (grumble, grumble) extra cost :)

I agree with kaytieeldr and have paid more for Alamo because of getting to pick out my car. I absolutely love picking out my own car and torture my family looking at the different options on potential vehicles; trying to get exactly what I want. :crazy2:

They are both good, I'd go with the cheaper one. It's only a means to get where I need to go.

We always rent from the cheapest.(main stream company) All the same cars basically.

Love Alamo. I check in online at home and print the documents at home. Walk out get in the car and show the paperwork license and credit card at the exit booth. So streamlined and easy. Look on the disboard and see if you can find a coupon for Alamo

I will say..most often...Alamo is one of the cheapest. We just dont rent to often, Usually fly and use DME.

Also check Hertz, especially in the last two weeks before departure. Surprisingly, I've found their rates to be pretty competitive and if you sign up for their free #1 club, you get to go straight to the garage and pick from a row, similar to Alamo.

I've used both and would go for the best rate. As long as I get the car type I want I don't care if I can pick the exact vehicle. I noticed some downward action on Budget today, anyone ever use them? Skip the counter?

Bill From PA

I've used both and would go for the best rate. As long as I get the car type I want I don't care if I can pick the exact vehicle. I noticed some downward action on Budget today, anyone ever use them? Skip the counter?

Bill From PA
Yes, used Budget last time. Be sure you have FastBreak, which is their free "Insiders". That way you can skip the terminal line and go to the garage. You do have to report to a counter in the garage, but the line there for FastBreak members is usually pretty short.

I'm sure most of you know this stuff, but a few things to remember when looking at car rates:
- Remember your coupons/discounts. Costco, AAA, Entertainment, etc. Generally speaking, you're not asked to provide membership info at MCO (I think Alamo now asks for Costco membership when you're booking online), but its best not to use a code that you can't support. As I said, generally they don't ask, but if they do, you're stuck with rack rates, unless you have a backup reservation.
- Don't look at just the base rate. Go all the way thru the reservation and see what the total is. For example, my experience has been that Budget has more fees than Alamo.
- If you're planning on using the rental car companies toll, be it PlatePass, SunPass, etc., instead of providing it yourself (cash, bringing your Ezpass, etc.), be aware that the rental companies charge differently. For example, Alamo charges $3.95/day that you use the toll, Hertz $4.95. Budget and Dollar charge something like $3.95/day, but each day you have the rental, whether you use the toll or not. There is a ceiling somewhere around $20, but you get the picture. The amounts I show were from early this year and may not be accurate and certainly may have changed. Just be sure to check it out.
- You can generally save time somehow by joining the agency's frequent renter program, which is free. You will likely get to skip the in-terminal counter and in the case of at least Alamo and Hertz, go straight to the car and pick from the row.
- And most importantly, stay away from prepay rates! Most will let you change within the same company, but if you cancel, you get dinged. And keep checking, right up to the day of departure. Often the best rates are in the last two weeks (but, book something when you know your dates/times...car rental rates are wacky sometimes)

I had a 10 day Alamo rental, mid size, for $349. Just booked same car for $314 from Dollar. Still hoping for better.

Bill From PA

Where do I find the discount codes for Costco, AAA etc?
With Costco, one way is to start booking thru Costco travel, then look at Terms and Conditions and the codes are listed there. Of course, you can continue to book at Costco travel, or take those codes over to Alamo.com and book there. Personally, I like to book at Alamo, but sometimes at Costco travel executive members might get a rebate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter