Alaska 2021 - help out a newbie

DopeyDame

DIS Veteran
We've done a few short Caribbean cruises with other lines, but we've never done a Disney cruise and never been to Alaska. We're consider a mini-family reunion on an DCL Alaska cruise in summer 2021. (3 families, 12 people total)
What should we be doing at this point? I understand that the cheapest rates are if you book early, right? When do cruises usually open up for the year? (I have a Disney visa and one of the other families are Florida residents, in case that matters)
We never use travel agents, but the Dreams onboard credit seems appealing - is there any down side to going through them?

Basically... give me the readers-digest version of what I need to know to book this, or point me towards the best resources. Thanks!

Don't know when the Alaska cruises for summer 2021 will come out, but here are a couple of things you might consider when you book. First, when we did the DCL Alaska cruise we had three families (11 total). Be sure you are all linked so that you eat together and that you get early or late seating nailed down, if you care. Now, concerning price, do you want interior staterooms, ones with portholes or a verandah? You may also check on adjoining staterooms, if that is important. If you get verandahs, don't get ones forward on the port (left) side. We had 8006, which was just below the designated smoking area. When the ship is moving it is not a problem. However, during the glacier day, when the Wonder stops and rotates while everyone views the ice, and it is calm, you will have smoke and ashes rain down on your verandah...we did...yuck! If this is a bother for you folks, check the smoking areas when you select your staterooms.
Of the nine DCL cruises we have been on, we have only used a TA for one. The rest we have booked on the computer or by calling DCL. They are very friendly and helpful in making your cruise memorable...they will also handle any unique situations...special needs, service animals, weird diets, etc.
Aside from this, you will love this cruise. Alaska is very unique and worth a cruise or two to see it. Good luck!

I don't think the AK cruises tend to get Florida resident discounts.

Be aware you will need passports to fly into Vancouver for an Alaskan cruise. For everyone.

We save about 10% off the cruise cost by booking via Costco (or booking via DCL then transferring to Costco within 30 days). 8.5% of the base cruise cost comes back in the form of a Costco cash card, which most Costcos will completely cash out for you, and 2% back in the form of a check at the end of the year, since I have an executive membership. The Costco membership easily pays for itself when you book Disney cruises through Costco.

We sailed in a Navigator's Verandah stateroom on the Wonder to Alaska and loved it. Great views & fresh air, but much cheaper than a full balcony.

Last edited:

We're consider a mini-family reunion on an DCL Alaska cruise in summer 2021. (3 families, 12 people total) What should we be doing at this point?
Start saving for this cruise!!!
Review the information on Disney Gift Card (GC) Deals https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-gift-card-deals.2941964/page-2083#post-61085699
Start with the last page or two because GC deals change rapidly. You and your families are a year and a half or more out from going in this cruise - which is one of the best we have taken TWICE. Disney Visa is a good 6 months free loan to pay for the full price of the cruise. Getting GC at 5%-10% discount or more is a much better deal. Disney Visa gives you 1% back on most purchases. Check your credit cards for the best deal. I use AmEX Blue for 6% cash back at grocery stores (where I pick up DGC) and Barclay for everything else for 2X points, which pays for the airline tickets. That's it, 2 CC and my cruises are debt-free when I board the ship.
Big GC deals happen periodically throughout the year but are at the greatest Nov-Dec. BJ's had an 8% discount for DGC last year during the holiday period. Save, save, save, and be ready to jump on a good deal for $3k, $4k, $5k or more in DGC when the time happens, and it happens quickly, like only a day or even hours online and then it's gone.

Big GC deals happen periodically throughout the year but are at the greatest Nov-Dec. BJ's had an 8% discount for DGC last year during the holiday period. Save, save, save, and be ready to jump on a good deal for $3k, $4k, $5k or more in DGC when the time happens, and it happens quickly, like only a day or even hours online and then it's gone.
How do you find out about these big yet short-term gift card deals when they occur? Is there some kind of email alert list?

How do you find out about these big yet short-term gift card deals when they occur? Is there some kind of email alert list?
I've never received an email, usually see the chatter on the gift card deals thread. East coast puts out the notice when they go to the BJs site. So by the time I log in (mountain time) already getting information and responses from others who purchased online.

I book using a TA. I like that I have a contact person if something goes wrong, and I get an OBC. Why would I pass up free $$?

I am a planner, so I provide the TA a list of staterooms I would be happy to have (in rank order), so they know exactly what I want. I've already sent in my selections for spring 2021 in advance of the impending opening day!

Lots of good ideas here. My company has a "Bravo!" awards system that if we do something helpful, nice, leadership, etc. we get points that I transfer to DGC's (which counts as compensation). These points add up and turn into "real" DGCard$'s!

The Disney Premier Visa returns 2% on Disney, gasoline, groceries and restaurants but costs $49/year. If one spends over $5,000 on these items, which we do, the marginal 1% >$49. Yeah, that 6 months can be very nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter