Alaska Cruise Prices by Days to Departure

On February 23rd, I started gathering prices for DCL Alaska cruises. Once I get significant data, I will post some charts on Tableau, but for now here is a chart that shows prices drops as departure date approaches. Except for May/June 2020, the data is through 3/20/20.

Are you looking for a "normal" trend on cruise prices? I don't think you're going to get that right now.

Are you looking for a "normal" trend on cruise prices? I don't think you're going to get that right now.
When I started, I was hoping to see how prices typically change on Hawaii, Alaska, Panama Canal, and Transatlantic. Within about two weeks, it became apparent that it was no longer going to be how prices 'normally' change, but just how prices are changing (although some of the change will have normal causes). Now it will be more focused on questions like how prices of stateroom types change in relation to each other (with about a month worth of data, prices for verandah and oceanview appear to be more variable than inside).

Looks like Alaska cruises will have a very short season. I believe it is the middle of June or July till Canada allows ships.

Looks like Alaska cruises will have a very short season. I believe it is the middle of June or July till Canada allows ships.

July 1, but there is now also possibility of AK blocking ships. Canada could also extend, especially if BC continues to trend poorly.

I had started with these trips because they were the ones that I would be most interested in taking, so there was a combination of intellectual curiousity (pricing analytics), practical application (saving money), and personal interest (data visualization). If I want to see some price changes as cruise dates approach, I may have to start tracking some Carribbean ones, as they are slightly more likely to start before summer.

I have not had time to work on how to best present the cruise data, but I have continued to collect it. Prices for Alaska are starting to go up both for this year (all cabin types) and 2021 (Verandahs). When a line disappears off the graph, that cabin type was listed as unavailable (this is one of the presentation details I need to fix). I also need to increase the y axis, but I wanted this chart to be the same as the first except for the dropped 2020 cruises.

Just wanted to say the data visualization is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter