Alaskan cruise - August 8, 2016

anricat

DIS Veteran
We are super duper excited for our third Disney Cruise. The cast of characters: Summer (me), Roger (DH), and Emmaline (DD - will be 8 when we sail).

Our first cruise was in June 2014, we did a 3-day on the Dream followed by several days at WDW. Then last year we sailed in October on a Halloween cruise on the Magic for 5 days.

Saturday, August 6 - We depart Austin, TX and arrive into Vancouver at 2:30 PM. We're staying at the Blue Horizon in downtown Vancouver. We don't have any firm plans for the evening. Just relax and settle into our hotel and have dinner.

Sunday, August 7 - We plan to go to Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain.

Monday, August 8 - We'll head to Canada Place and ride Flyover Canada prior to embarking on the Disney Wonder *kermit flail*

Tuesday, August 9 - At sea

Wednesday, August 10 - Tracy Arm
We're going to try to do laundry early in the morning then enjoy the beautiful scenery!

Thursday, August 11 - Skagway
Chilkoot Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion w/ Dogcart experience
We're doing bus up, train down.

Friday, August 12 - Juneau
In the morning we are renting a car and driving to Mendenhall Glacier. We'll have lunch in town and return the car. In the afternoon we're being picked up for a private whale watching trip with Rum Runners (sharing the boat with a fellow DISer - hi Heather!)

Saturday, August 13 - Ketchikan
In the morning we're going to relax and take it easy a bit, then in the afternoon we'll head into town and do some exploring, then at 2:15 we are going sea kayaking with Southeast Sea Kayaks for a 2 hour trip.

Sunday, August 14 - At sea
We're going to book a placeholder, pack and feel sad.

Monday, August 15 - Vancouver
We using the baggage transfer service at Canada Place to transfer our baggage to the airport and plan to do some more sight seeing in Vancouver. We'd like to see Stanley Park and the totem poles, go to the aquarium, and perhaps see Chinatown and/or Gastown. We'll see what strikes our fancy. We're heading to the airport in the evening and staying overnight at the Fairmont at the Vancouver airport.

Tuesday, August 16 - Return to Austin.
We have a 6:30 AM flight. We will be tired and probably cry. Upon our return, I predict we will eat dinner out (because no food will be in the house) and we will need to do laundry. More crying.

We can't wait!!!

Edited to change arrival time in Vancouver (we originally had flights that got us into Vancouver at 11 PM - yuck) and to update our plans after disembarkation (we were originally renting a car).

Last edited:
Sunday, August 7 - We plan to go to Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. DH wants to sleep in. :P

Monday, August 15 - Vancouver
We are renting a car at the port and plan to do some more sight seeing in Vancouver. We'd like to see Stanley Park and the totem poles, maybe go to the aquarium, perhaps see Chinatown and/or Gastown. We'll see what strikes our fancy. We're returning the car to the airport in the evening and staying overnight at the Fairmont at the Vancouver airport.
Thoughts on your Vancouver segment....
  • Let DH sleep in on Sunday.... he can always meet up with you later in the day via cab or one of the free shuttles. The sun does not go down until 9pm in the summer.
  • as you are staying at the Fairmont airport.... another option is just send your luggage to the airport for $40 (max 4 bags for $28USD) and use public transit to explore downtown. Vancouver is a very compact city. I assume your daughter is able to walk. This avoids parking expenses and risk of your luggage being stolen from the car when parked at tourist locations.

Thoughts on your Vancouver segment....
  • Let DH sleep in on Sunday.... he can always meet up with you later in the day via cab or one of the free shuttles. The sun does not go down until 9pm in the summer.
  • as you are staying at the Fairmont airport.... another option is just send your luggage to the airport for $40 (max 4 bags for $28USD) and use public transit to explore downtown. Vancouver is a very compact city. I assume your daughter is able to walk. This avoids parking expenses and risk of your luggage being stolen from the car when parked at tourist locations.

I didn't even know this was an option. We can have it sent to the Fairmont? How does this work?

1. When you come off the boat.... look for CDS/Priority luggage. They are located next to the car rental booth.
  2. Pay them $40 and your luggage will be sent to the airport location some time in the afternoon.
  3. Get on a bus, walk or whatever you want to do for sightseeing... No worries about car break-ins on your luggage.
  4. In the evening head to the airport by taxi or subway. Look for the CDS luggage office. I think it's at International arrivals. Get your luggage.
  5. Catch elevator up to the 2nd floor. Walk 3 minutes to the East.... Welcome to the Fairmont Airport.

1. When you come off the boat.... look for CDS/Priority luggage. They are located next to the car rental booth.
  2. Pay them $40 and your luggage will be sent to the airport location some time in the afternoon.
  3. Get on a bus, walk or whatever you want to do for sightseeing... No worries about car break-ins on your luggage.
  4. In the evening head to the airport by taxi or subway. Look for the CDS luggage office. I think it's at International arrivals. Get your luggage.
  5. Catch elevator up to the 2nd floor. Walk 3 minutes to the East.... Welcome to the Fairmont Airport.

Awesome! Thank you so much. Depending on how much baggage we have, we may go this route. I currently have an intermediate car booked for $46 (Canadian) so I think we should be able to get it all in the trunk and have it be relatively safe. The pricing turns out about the same (even if we pay for an all day parking pass at Stanley Park) so it's really a matter of preference and destinations.

Thanks for your input on this. We've decided to go this route. I really appreciate it. (I've edited the original post above to reflect our new plans!)

Did you buy a day pass for the bus? Is there a place to buy one near Canada Place? I'm trying to use the TransLink website to find a location nearby, but the one I found doesn't actually seem to exist that I can find. It's very strange.

Did you buy a day pass for the bus? Is there a place to buy one near Canada Place? I'm trying to use the TransLink website to find a location nearby, but the one I found doesn't actually seem to exist that I can find. It's very strange.
Transit Daypasses are available at the subway ticket machines.... here's the details. Closest one to Canada Place would be to enter the subway entrance just outside the cruise terminal.
http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

Here's a streetview of the subway entrance. Swing the image around to see the cruise terminal entrance.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2870...4!1sm3pEH1laRkBddIMfW8jBnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Transit Daypasses are available at the subway ticket machines.... here's the details. Closest one to Canada Place would be to enter the subway entrance just outside the cruise terminal.
http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/DayPass.aspx

Here's a streetview of the subway entrance. Swing the image around to see the cruise terminal entrance.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.2870...4!1sm3pEH1laRkBddIMfW8jBnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Soooooooo helpful! Thank you so much. :)

fyi.... this is what hubby will be missing... you snooze.... you loose.

He'll get up! :P I think our best option is to get up early and get adjusted to the new time as quickly as possible. If he needs a nap late afternoon, we can go back after Grouse and nap.

fyi.... this is what hubby will be missing... you snooze.... you loose.

Well, DH won't need to sleep in any longer. I was able to change our flights to earlier in the day. Yay!!! Now we get in at 2:30 PM, which is much more reasonable than 11 PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter