Alcoholic Drinks and passport?

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
So DH and I are on DxDP when we go this Saturday. Would servers accept a picture of our passports as proof or our drivers license? I would like to keep our passports in the safe if possible. Thanks!

Each time we’ve been asked, our drivers license has been accepted. I suppose they could ask for your passport but I wouldn’t be carrying that around either. I would do a copy to be safe.

Word of advice if you're using your passports for ID and have them with you also in the parks -- get some waterproof cases for them.

I thought mine was fine in my passport holder in a backpack, and while we didn't get soaked, water did get into my backpack in Animal Kingdom, and my passport suffered water damage. Had to re-renew it when we got back to Canada.

Otherwise, no issues ever with us using just our drivers licenses. Have a great trip! :)

From the WDW website:

Q.

What kind of identification do I need to supply if I wish to enjoy an alcoholic beverage during my visit?
A.

Alcoholic beverages can be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort by all Guests 21 years of age or older.
Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at Walt Disney World Resort must present one of the following valid forms of identification:
  • U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. military ID
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
  • NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)
All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

I’ve never been asked for my passport when buying alcohol overseas, including in the US my Australian drivers license has been accepted. On occasion I’ve had to point out where by birth date is but that’s it.

I always leave my passport somewhere safe rather than carry it around with me.

I guess a photo on your phone of the passport is not an imposition to add credence to the real licence.

Ive always just had my drivers licence on me for it. But we do have pictures of our passports saved in our photo's on our phones. But Ive never been asked for ID for drinks just once when I was using my credit card.

I have now reached the point where I am no longer asked for ID unless it is to qualify for a seniors rate. Sigh. :(

We were at WDW a few years back with my sister who is 10 years my junior (she was 45 at the time), when she was asked for ID for a glass of wine at BoG at dinner. She provided it and all was fine. The next day we ate at Boma and again she ordered a drink and it was brought with no questions asked. I mused about why they didn't ID her there but did at BoG. Her response? "Better lighting." I nearly snorted my soup out my nose.

You just never know, so it's best be prepared.

I should have tried my license last night at Wine Bar george but I did have my passport on me since it was our arrival day, I’ll try later at CG and see. :)

Okay, so my son is 25, he doesn't have a drivers license. We are going next Feb and I'm not comfortable with him carrying his passport. He's been on a job in San Diego for 2 years, but hasn't got a U.S. official I.D. He is not an american citizen. His Canadian govt issued i.d. has expired. The dining plan just isn't worth it without the alcoholic beverage.

So I gather he'll just have to be carrying his original passport? This will be the first trip he's been with me since he became of age.

The law in Florida is that non-US residents (it may even cover anyone out-of-state) have to show a passport for ID for alcohol and the law also states that they are also supposed to ID everyone. There used to be signs at WDW stating that they would card you if you looked under 30 but I now see signs everywhere indicating that you must provide passport as ID if you are from out of the country - no exceptions noted. Ostensibly the reason they need a passport for non-residents is because they don't know what driver's licenses or other government ID look like from out of the country, so they have no way of knowing if it is a forgery. Nowhere does it indicate that they will accept a photo or copy of the passport.

However checking everyone's ID just doesn't seem to happen in practice unless the establishment has reason to believe that they are being scrutinized or they recently got in trouble. There have, however, been a number of people on these boards who have indicated that they had to show both passport photo on their phone in addition to other ID and many have indicated that they are young or look young. Personally, I have not been carded at WDW for many many years. They may be still using the "you look under 30" rule of thumb to keep service moving efficiently (I absolutely don't look under 30) but it's a totally unofficial operational rule so I still bring a copy of my passport on my phone and always have my driver's license with me in case.

The law in Florida is that non-US residents (it may even cover anyone out-of-state) have to show a passport for ID for alcohol and the law also states that they are also supposed to ID everyone. There used to be signs at WDW stating that they would card you if you looked under 30 but I now see signs everywhere indicating that you must provide passport as ID if you are from out of the country - no exceptions noted. Ostensibly the reason they need a passport for non-residents is because they don't know what driver's licenses or other government ID look like from out of the country, so they have no way of knowing if it is a forgery. Nowhere does it indicate that they will accept a photo or copy of the passport.

However checking everyone's ID just doesn't seem to happen in practice unless the establishment has reason to believe that they are being scrutinized or they recently got in trouble. There have, however, been a number of people on these boards who have indicated that they had to show both passport photo on their phone in addition to other ID and many have indicated that they are young or look young. Personally, I have not been carded at WDW for many many years. They may be still using the "you look under 30" rule of thumb to keep service moving efficiently (I absolutely don't look under 30) but it's a totally unofficial operational rule so I still bring a copy of my passport on my phone and always have my driver's license with me in case.

here you go: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/faq/restaurants/required-id-for-alcohol/

it might not be state policy, but a copy of an international passport plus a foreign drivers license is exactly what their official regulations require.

If you go to DL or California the required ID is passports for foreign travelers, no DL and passport copy are supposed to be accepted. How this plays out in reality might differ but that's their law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!