All about the Autotrain

I saw that too. I am going 9/14. I decided to take the Amtrak Silver Meteor the whole way, RI to Orlando and get a rental car. It was at cheapest rate.
Thanks so much jwboucher. I booked roundtrip, philly to Orlando, 2 adults, 2 kids on silver meteor ( no driving to lorton) 2 roomettes both ways for under $200 out of pocket (points for the rest). auto train wanted $2900 for same trip. We do have to rent a car but I found a great rate $161 for a corolla for a week through hertz. We are staying overnight in Orlando at the Hampton inn near Amtrak station since we arrive on Sunday afternoon(rental car location is closed). We will pick up our rental on Monday morning, then to Disney. Yay! We are going end of August.

Last edited:
Thanks so much jwboucher. I booked roundtrip, philly to Orlando, 2 adults, 2 kids on silver meteor ( no driving to lorton) 2 roomettes both ways for under $200 out of pocket (points for the rest). auto train wanted $2900 for same trip. We do have to rent a car but I found a great rate $161 for a corolla for a week through hertz. We are staying overnight in Orlando at the Hampton inn near Amtrak station since we arrive on Sunday afternoon(rental car location is closed). We will pick up our rental on Monday morning, then to Disney. Yay! We are going end of August.
That's awesome!!! I haven't reserved my rental car yet.

We're going to book our Oct/Nov trip on the AT as soon as we can. We have a lot of points and plan to book a bedroom each way. Just have to see how many points. It used to be a set amount, but apparently it now varies. We've used points in the past to book roomettes. We usually pay out of pocket for the car. We can book the way down, but not back yet since we're coming back in Mid- Nov. Wow, 40K points for a bedroom going down. It didn't used to cost that many points. We don't have 80K points. It's getting ridiculous.

We're going to book our Oct/Nov trip on the AT as soon as we can. We have a lot of points and plan to book a bedroom each way. Just have to see how many points. It used to be a set amount, but apparently it now varies. We've used points in the past to book roomettes. We usually pay out of pocket for the car. We can book the way down, but not back yet since we're coming back in Mid- Nov. Wow, 40K points for a bedroom going down. It didn't used to cost that many points. We don't have 80K points. It's getting ridiculous.
Yeah beyond ridiculous. I booked fare for 4 and two roomettes on the silver meteor for 30,000 points. Unfortunately, no autotrain for us next year due to the high cost. They wanted $2900 (round trip) for fare that just last year cost $1500 booked 11 months in advance.

Last edited:
We usually purchase on points as well. And now have to think about variable prices. Has anyone noticed any trends in prices? It seems that the old bucket pricing (cheapest at 11 months, then more and more over time) is no longer the way

We usually purchase on points as well. And now have to think about variable prices. Has anyone noticed any trends in prices? It seems that the old bucket pricing (cheapest at 11 months, then more and more over time) is no longer the way
It seems that way..fares have been high for months wth no signs of coming down.

Well, we've decided we will definitely use points to book a bedroom for the trip down. Our return will depend on how many points shy we are and how many we need to purchase since there's a limit, to get a bedroom for the return. We can get a roomette for the return if it doesn't work out for a bedroom. We just pay out of pocket for the car. I need to do my Christmas shopping on my Amtrak rewards credit card so we can get more points before we book. We currently have at least 65,000 points, but not 80,000. We figure since we live 45 min from Lorton that if we have to do a roomette on the way home, it's not a big deal since we can get home and take a nap. We decided after our last trip in Coach, we will never do that again. We used coach our first couple of trips both ways, but it's gotten so we can't rest well. Not sure why, but people seem to be more rude now than even 10 years ago and I get tired of shushing people at 1 am, not to mention some either ignore you or get louder. And, we're not talking kids since we're always in a adult only car. We're mainly talking hard of hearing seniors or groups that think they can sit up and talk all night. We sleep much better in a bedroom so will feel more rested on our arrival in Sanford. We'll be heading directly to Port Canaveral to board Oasis of the Seas the next day and will stay at SOG for 5 nights when we get back from the cruises (we're doing b2b). So, we'll be well rested for our return.

Last edited:

I've read going to Kissimmee is a better option. It's actually closer to WDW and in a better part of town. We passed nearby it on our drive from Ft Lauderdale in 2013 as we were heading to WDW.

Well, we've decided we will definitely use points to book a bedroom for the trip down. Our return will depend on how many points shy we are and how many we need to purchase since there's a limit, to get a bedroom for the return. We can get a roomette for the return if it doesn't work out for a bedroom. We just pay out of pocket for the car. I need to do my Christmas shopping on my Amtrak rewards credit card so we can get more points before we book. We currently have at least 65,000 points, but not 80,000. We figure since we live 45 min from Lorton that if we have to do a roomette on the way home, it's not a big deal since we can get home and take a nap. We decided after our last trip in Coach, we will never do that again. We used coach our first couple of trips both ways, but it's gotten so we can't rest well. Not sure why, but people seem to be more rude now than even 10 years ago and I get tired of shushing people at 1 am, not to mention some either ignore you or get louder. And, we're not talking kids since we're always in a adult only car. We're mainly talking hard of hearing seniors or groups that think they can sit up and talk all night. We sleep much better in a bedroom so will feel more rested on our arrival in Sanford. We'll be heading directly to Port Canaveral to board Oasis of the Seas the next day and will stay at SOG for 5 nights when we get back from the cruises (we're doing b2b). So, we'll be well rested for our return.
That's great that you plan to book a bedroom on the AT! We live 3 hours north (with no traffic!) of Lorton but only 12 miles from Philly, so the silver meteor is actually a better deal for us. I used 45,000 points to book our round trip fare. I had enough points left over to book roundtrip to NYC from PHL on Amtrak northeastern for next July.
As for the b2b trip, that was us last year. We spent two days at the Grand Floridian, 1 night in Port Canaveral pre cruise, 3 nights on the Disney Dream and another 4 nights at the Grand Floridian. It was an amazing trip.

Hope your trip is just as amazing. P.S. No way would I do coach, either. Especially with kids.

I've read going to Kissimmee is a better option. It's actually closer to WDW and in a better part of town. We passed nearby it on our drive from Ft Lauderdale in 2013 as we were heading to WDW.
We don't mind spending one night in Orlando, as we'll be spending the next 6 at the Grand Floridian :)!!

Kissimmee is closer, but remember if you are coming from the north it's another 20 minutes or so on the train, so it doesn't really save you much time. The Orlando station is in an industrial area but I have never felt unsafe there.

We booked our trip a couple of hours ago. Going down in a bedroom and returning in a roomette. We used points for both and paid for the car both ways. Car was $246 each way. Total out of pocket is $592. If we'd paid for the whole thing it would have been over $2300. The current pricing and points is so different than it used to be. Also, if we cancel more than 15 days out, we lose 10% of our points, less than 15 days, we lose 20% of the points. I'm used to that policy if you pay, but to take points sucks. Airlines and hotels just return all your points back if you cancel. Auto Train is still my favorite way to travel to FL, but I miss the old days.

ETA, cost is $492, not $592. I can add, really I can. :-)

Last edited:
Hi there everyone!

Really hoping that an AutoTrain expert may be able to pipe in with some useful advice.

My family will be driving down from the MD/DC/VA area in late November/early December. We really want to try the AutoTrain coming home from Sanford to Lorton. My dad traveled this way last fall and had an awesome experience. He felt that our kids would really enjoy the train. I've done some research and I'm trying to get an idea about the pricing.

For our family (2adults, 3kids all under 12), the rate is nearly $1200 one way. That figure does include our car.

I see the promo deal all the time that advertises a rate of $95 each way per person. In fact, last week I got an e-mail promotion specifically advertising the Auto Train for $95 each way.

Since our dates are somewhat flexible, I have been checking daily for these $95 fares and have yet to find any from dates from 11/7/17-12/19/17. I had read that the very best time to purchase was as soon as they start selling your date, so I have been checking the Amtrak site for weeks, sometimes 2-3x a day just to see if the "saver" fares become open. I'm up at 4 am (EST), so I get on the website first thing to see if I have any luck. I have found nothing. Zero. Zilch.

I became really frustrated when I got the Amtrak email, mainly because I took the time to read the small print and there was no specific date/time restrictions.

I decided to call Amtrak customer service. The rep I got was friendly. I explained to her my dilemma. She listened and said that the $95 saver rates should be available for dates in November and December 2017. I said that I had yet to find any despite aggressive searching. She put me on hold to check with a supervisor. After about 10 minutes of holding (which really made me more frustrated!), she got back on and apologized for the wait. Again, she insisted the $95 rates were available during November/December 2017. She also told me that the sale $95 fares tend to sell out immediately. I asked what time they uploaded their schedules. She didn't know. I told her that I check at 4 am and I found it hard to believe that for weeks and weeks, people have been purchasing the $95 rates as soon as they are uploaded. I call BS.

I tried a few more days and then decided to put my concerns in writing and sent an e-mail to Amtrak customer service. Haven't gotten any reply et.

Am I crazy to think these "sale" fares are just a marketing ploy? Is there any way I am missing these $95 fares by using some sort of promo code? We are AAA members and we can get a small discount, but nothing close to the $475 I was expecting to pay for the Auto Train seats.

Does anyone have any insight into how I can find a better rate?

Thanks so much for reading this long message...it ended up being waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more detailed than I planned.

Have a happy day y'all!!

Good point Aanna! I asked that as well, but she said they were already sold out for multiple dates I asked her to check...including the date that had just opened up and the three days prior. I think I called in around 8 am or so...it was early in the morning.

Good point Aanna! I asked that as well, but she said they were already sold out for multiple dates I asked her to check...including the date that had just opened up and the three days prior. I think I called in around 8 am or so...it was early in the morning.

Sorry, should have figured I was being Queen of the Obvious. LOL
That is so frustrating!! I wonder if those fares are limited to 1 or 2 people per date: that would technically leave them "available" but not to your group of 5. And, since each group with a reservation needs a car along, that sort of nixes the idea of splitting your group's reservation so that at least some of you could take advantage of the promo =P

Stinky =P

I'd probably be stubborn and politely insist that the rep find me a date that WOULD work. Yeah, I know the world doesn't usually work better if you push harder LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!