So just an update on my previous ticket upgrade to gold AP fiasco. I took your advice @Robo and called the special ticketing number. She confirmed I was not given the correct credit (and that she had NO idea where the ticket agent got that value) but she could not refund it. She said the only people who could help would be guest services and I would have to email them and I explain. I did that Tuesday. A CM called today, apologized and confirmed I over paid by $99 and said they were refunding it to my card. Yay!! Thanks for the advice!

I apologize, maybe I'm not wording my search correctly, but I can't find the answer to this.

We just moved to the Orlando area from out-of-state and will be buying Florida Resident tickets after we close on our house down here. We are looking at getting the Resident Silver passes since the blackout dates are when I wouldn't want to go anyway (too hot or too crowded).
But what if I can't talk family into visiting another time?

1. If we've already used a Silver pass for some months, can you upgrade to Gold or Platinum?
2. What happens if you upgrade? Pay the difference between the two I assume?
3. Is it easy to drop back down to Silver at renewal time? I can't imagine that family would visit every year so I don't want to pay for Gold or Platinum tickets if we don't need to use them.
4. If we are dropping down to a different resident annual pass do we still get the renewal price?

I apologize, maybe I'm not wording my search correctly, but I can't find the answer to this.

We just moved to the Orlando area from out-of-state and will be buying Florida Resident tickets after we close on our house down here. We are looking at getting the Resident Silver passes since the blackout dates are when I wouldn't want to go anyway (too hot or too crowded).
But what if I can't talk family into visiting another time?

1. If we've already used a Silver pass for some months, can you upgrade to Gold or Platinum?
2. What happens if you upgrade? Pay the difference between the two I assume?
3. Is it easy to drop back down to Silver at renewal time? I can't imagine that family would visit every year so I don't want to pay for Gold or Platinum tickets if we don't need to use them.
4. If we are dropping down to a different resident annual pass do we still get the renewal price?

1. Yes. (But, it will cost the full amount for the new higher-priced AP and still expire on the same date as the original AP.)
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.

So just an update on my previous ticket upgrade to gold AP fiasco. I took your advice @Robo and called the special ticketing number. She confirmed I was not given the correct credit (and that she had NO idea where the ticket agent got that value) but she could not refund it. She said the only people who could help would be guest services and I would have to email them and I explain. I did that Tuesday. A CM called today, apologized and confirmed I over paid by $99 and said they were refunding it to my card. Yay!! Thanks for the advice!

So what did you end up paying? I looked at your previous post and at the end you said you should have paid $188 instead of $230. That's $42 per ticket. Just curious how the $99 came to be.

I find getting multiple answers and multiple stories of what people paid very discouraging. How can one know if what they paid IS correct?

So what did you end up paying? I looked at your previous post and at the end you said you should have paid $188 instead of $230. That's $42 per ticket. Just curious how the $99 came to be.

I find getting multiple answers and multiple stories of what people paid very discouraging.
How can one know if what they paid IS correct?

About the only way is to know the correct upgrade procedure and do the math before you do the upgrade.
That will give you the maximum amount you should expect to pay.

HERE is a link to the "Upgrading Tickets" info on this thread.

Trying to work out upgrade cost.

I currently have a Free Dining Bounceback package (10 day PH tix.) We booked the package in August 2016 for an August 2017 stay. During this stay, we will be upgrading to Annual Passes. I understand the math (current AP price minus the cost for the 10day PH,) but are those tickets considered pre-2/2017 (based on package issue date) or post- (based on date of stay?)

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Trying to work out upgrade cost.

I currently have a Free Dining Bounceback package (10 day PH tix.) We booked the package in August 2016 for an August 2017 stay. During this stay, we will be upgrading to Annual Passes. I understand the math (current AP price minus the cost for the 10day PH,) but are those tickets considered pre-2/2017 (based on package issue date) or post- (based on date of stay?)

That is a "gray area." (As we are never privy to the actual cost and source of package tickets.)

Do the math for both situations and when the CM offers the cost,
if it's the higher price, it can't hurt to "ask nicely" for a lower cost based on "current prices."

LOL! Well, at least I'm glad to know it's not just me who's unsure of the answer ;)

ETA: Thanks for the add'l info!

LOL! Well, at least I'm glad to know it's not just me who's unsure of the answer ;)

I've been attempting to answer ticket questions for over a decade on these boards.

I've had direct input from of some well-seasoned WDW ticket experts and CMs over the years who
offer many insights into rules and correct operations for upgrades and pricing.
There are also many posts from other DISboard members who have a great knowledge of ticket rules and pricing.

But... as soon as I think I've got a lock on "procedure," Disney will make a change (or three.)
It's so valuable for members of the DISboards to report their ticket experiences on the board, as it can
give a broader real-world scope to what other guests can expect.

I find getting multiple answers and multiple stories of what people paid very discouraging. How can one know if what they paid IS correct?

I honestly am not sure where that number came from either but since it was more than I expected I didn't ask questions. Honestly the only advice I can give you is to know the info @Robo gave you.

If I book a package with 3-day, one park per day tickets, can only some of the guests upgrade their tickets to park hoppers once we arrive? Thank you.

Hi all,

My son has a 5-day base ticket sitting in his account. We are visiting WDW next June (2018), and will be upgrading that ticket to a Platinum Plus AP to run June 2018-June 2019. However, I can only make 5 days of FP for him before the trip, rather than the desired 10, so I have two options in mind:

A. When I am in the Orlando area in October, I could stop by GR and upgrade his ticket to a 10-day ticket. This will allow me to make the desired FPs in the spring. Then when we arrive in June, I can upgrade it to an AP. Is this possible?
B. (I don't think this one works.) When I am in the Orlando area in October, I could stop by GR and upgrade his ticket to a Platinum Plus AP voucher to be activated and used beginning in June 2018 for expiration in June 2019. I bet if I upgrade it in October, though, that it will be active immediately.

Thanks for any advice!
If you go with the AP certificate, and are staying offsite for your June trip, the AP will only let you make 7 days of FP. The 10 day will get you all 10 days. If staying onsite, you can make FP for length of stay, regardless of which option.

I've been attempting to answer ticket questions for over a decade on these boards.

I've had direct input from of some well-seasoned WDW ticket experts and CMs over the years who
offer many insights into rules and correct operations for upgrades and pricing.
There are also many posts from other DISboard members who have a great knowledge of ticket rules and pricing.

But... as soon as I think I've got a lock on "procedure," Disney will make a change (or three.)
It's so valuable for members of the DISboards to report their ticket experiences on the board, as it can
give a broader real-world scope to what other guests can expect.

I've done upgrades several times before - though I'm no Robo, mind you - and had it all figured out with the bridging to current price etc. Then it dawned on me that the pkg tix might be considered pre-2/2017 and my math might be junk!

I'll definitely report back once we upgrade. Three of my group will be upgrading to APs and may not all do it at the same time, so I might even bring back several days points ;)

Thanks again!

Do I have this right? I have a free dining package and 10 day hoppers for 5 adults in the package, which would be valued at $2,742.40. If i wanted to upgrade those to gold annual passes (DVC), they would cost $2,976.70. So i would just need to pay $234.40? Would i need to use the 10 days tickets first or can i upgrade them right away? Thanks!
You do not need to use tickets before upgrading.
It does not affect the upgrade price.

I've done upgrades several times before - though I'm no Robo, mind you - and had it all figured out with the bridging to current price etc. Then it dawned on me that the pkg tix might be considered pre-2/2017 and my math might be junk!

I'll definitely report back once we upgrade. Three of my group will be upgrading to APs and may not all do it at the same time, so I might even bring back several days points ;)

Thanks again!

Please do report back! I'm trying to figure out where to upgrade, so I can make time for it in our plans, so let us know where you went, too :D

In my experience, "where" is a crapshoot. (I believe Robo addresses this in the initial post, too.) I've had fabulous experiences one place one year, then dismal experiences a few days or visits later. It is much more cast member-dependent than location-dependent.

Still, I plan to upgrade (and purchase TiW) at AK GR - so I will report back!

Yeah, where 1 person upgrades will have no bearing on another person upgrading there. It is totally CM dependent, not location dependent. You'd have to get the same CM that the person had, to get the same experience.
And even then I'm not sure they do them all the same. Not all of them at least.

Please do report back! I'm trying to figure out where to upgrade, so I can make time for it in our plans, so let us know where you went, too :D

Please don't take the upgrade experiences, good or bad, as representative of where YOU should or should not upgrade.
It changes with the CMs that you encounter... and that can change from one day to the next.
Going out of your way to get to a specific location can actually backfire on you, depending on the unknown factors of CM shift assignments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter