All around lens for photographing family at/in Disney

Snag22815

Earning My Ears
Hi all!
I have a Nikon D 3300. I use my 35 mm and my 50 mm lenses primarily. However, I am a mom and I just take pictures of my kids and family.
I am not a photographer or photography buff.
I wanted a nice camera to take nice pictures of my kids.
That’s the backstory.
What I would like to know is: What is a good all around lens to shoot pictures of my children and my family while in the parks, and at the resorts?
I love the look the 50 mm gives, but I don’t like having to back up 50 feet (exaggerating of course) while in chaos to get everybody in the frame and take a decent picture.
I’m trying to find something that I can rent that will be multipurpose and deliver high quality results. Thank you in advance!!

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Its certainly a difficult choice. Difficult to balance size/weight with convenience. I've found it depends on the park. In the MK and DHS a 18-85 zoom covers everything pretty well. It also works well at Epcot with the exception of shots across WS where an even longer lens is helpful. At DAK, I find I'm often at the long end of my 18-200 zoom, but there are so many interesting shots where I'm using the 18 end.

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
A nice fast mid-range zoom is my lens of choice most days. I shoot Canon, but I'm sure there are Nikon equivalents. When I shot with a crop sensor, I used a 17-55 f/2.8. Now that I have a full frame, I use the 24-70 f/2.8.

The 2.8 lenses are heavier, but will give you that image quality you're used to with the primes.

cobright

DIS Veteran
What I would like to know is: What is a good all around lens to shoot pictures of my children and my family while in the parks, and at the resorts?
I love the look the 50 mm gives, but I don’t like having to back up 50 feet (exaggerating of course) while in chaos to get everybody in the frame and take a decent picture.
I’m trying to find something that I can rent that will be multipurpose and deliver high quality results. Thank you in advance!!
Been a long time since I shopped nikkon. But Sigma's 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM is avail for nikkon and it is a killer "standard" lens.

Really top of my priciness scale (I'm a dilettante really) at about $300 I think, but so glad I bought it.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.