All my friends have one...

Canadian Harmony

DIS Veteran
and I want to see if having a DVC is worth it for us. So, I come to the experts!

We're west coasters, so I'd prefer our home resort to be the new one at DLR or even Aulani. So my question to you is, should we wait til the new one comes up, or should we buy resale at Aulani?

We're headed to DLR for a vacation in March, and I'm sure I could get DH to check it out with me to get the details, but I want to use that information to tell him either, "Yes, let's buy new!" or, "No, let's check into resale instead."

And, as we're Canadian, are there tips specifically designed to make the process easier across-border?

TIA!

Well the new DLR DVC is years away as the permit isn't approved (and takes Anahiem's city council to change the law or grant an exemption to build it). With that being said I suspect DVC didn't put this resort out there unless it had a decent expectation of those two things happening (granted they cancelled a new cash hotel after because of an argument with the city council after everything was approved). I suspect a build out to be 2-2.5 years (in line with Riviera's) so the earliest open would be 2022 but more realistically I think 2023-2025 is more likely to allow Reflections some sell time and to guarantee Riviera is sold out before opening it to sales.

If you plan on trying to stay in VGC with Aulani points that isn't likely to happen very often. It probably is the single most difficult resort to trade into at 7 months for any unit size. If you really want your stays at VGC or DLR in general and don't want to wait the few years you should consider VGC resale. However, if you want to use your points most of the time at Aulani (90%+) I would definitely go resale as member benefits are minimal there and DLR and the cost savings is astronomical compared to direct (half price).

If you plan on using your points at WDW exclusively (or most of the time), which doesn't seem like it from your post, you should consider buying one of those resorts as switching into Aulani at 7 months is fairly easy (has many owners wanting to switch out at 7 months to WDW or DLR).

You should buy Aulani only if you intend to stay there most of the time during high demand seasons (like may-June before the summer higher point charts kick in). So you you buy to stay mostly at Aulani then resale is the way to go. The savings are massive and resale restrictions wouldn't matter much to you. If you can find a contract with subsidized dues then it's really worth the higher price, over the long term you'll save a lot of money in MF.

If you want to stay at DLR most of the times, then you have to pay the crazy prices for a resale contract or wait for the new resort and buy direct.

Where do you want to use it?

If your goal is DLR, I would not buy Aulani , I would wait and hope the proposed property happens.

My concern is that there are a lot of DVC members. I think a lot of them would love to go to DLR every so often and you may very well end up with a super competitive 7 month booking windos even once the new one is builf (if it is built).

Literally hundreds of thousands of members, It will only take a small percentage of them being interested in DLR to make it hard to book at 7 months. Just not worth the gamble to me.

Last edited:

Aulani will not help with trips to DLR. Only buying now at VGC will help.

Aulani is good for trips there and 7 month bookings at WDW, during less busy DVC times,

If goal is DLR, then I recommend VGC now, or wait until the new one comes on line...providing it gets approval to be built.

@Canadian Harmony, what do you hope to gain from owning DVC? How do you plan to use it? Are your desires Disney specific or could they also be answered by other timeshare? (That is, are you looking for spacious accommodations with laundry, kitchen, flexibility, cost savings and destination variety ... or are you looking specifically for Disney?) What are the priorities, hopes and dreams?

I'm new to this. What is VGC?

@Canadian Harmony, what do you hope to gain from owning DVC? How do you plan to use it? Are your desires Disney specific or could they also be answered by other timeshare? (That is, are you looking for spacious accommodations with laundry, kitchen, flexibility, cost savings and destination variety ... or are you looking specifically for Disney?) What are the priorities, hopes and dreams?

Those are good questions. I think I would like a place to stay for my annual trips that helps me, rather than helps a hotel owner. It's like, instead of renting a house, my money now goes to the mortgage in my name. Same sort of idea. I like the idea of a dedicated place where I can do laundry if I need to, where I can bring the kids (and in future, grandkids if we're so blessed), where I can enjoy Disney and perhaps try a visit to WDW in the future.

People have mentioned the perks of buying from Disney directly. What would those perks be? Are they different between resorts?

We're always happy to go to Aulani. I've been to Hawaii in the summer and much prefer it in the winter, which is a high season so I'm sure hubby would be happy going to Aulani in February every year or two.

I sure do like the idea of resale savings. I'm sure that would make things more palatable to our finances.

It's nigh on impossible to get anything at GCH, so if we can at least get in at some point, perhaps it'll help us get to the new one in DLR at some point.

I like the idea of a dedicated place where I can do laundry if I need to, where I can bring the kids (and in future, grandkids if we're so blessed), where I can enjoy Disney and perhaps try a visit to WDW in the future.
So you’re looking at 1BR plus accommodations to be able to do laundry in your unit. Just be aware that across the board, the point cost of a 1BR is roughly 2X the cost of a studio. Looking at your past hotel experiences, you’ll be upgrading your stay, but you certainly won’t be saving money over what you’re doing now.
I think I would like a place to stay for my annual trips that helps me, rather than helps a hotel owner. It's like, instead of renting a house, my money now goes to the mortgage in my name.
Buying a timeshare, you are ALWAYS helping the “owner”, in this case developer. There is no way around that. The question is, whether or not this benefits you enough to make it worth it.

You are exploring buying a timeshare which will carry with it certain drawbacks and advantages. Most important to mention is that it will not be a replacement of your hotel experience. You will get diminished services. You will often see more compromised standards vs. the hotel side equivalent. At WDW you will sometimes be more geographically removed from the hotel-side amenities in your timeshare. You will lose flexibility with planning; committing at least 7 months out to being somewhere, inability to cancel on short notice, “obligation” to use your points at Disney year after year after year regardless of your employment status, health situation, or collapse of global economic superpowers that start with C and end with A. Whatever happens in the world, you’re on the hook for dues to the Mouse. All that will be in exchange for the advantage of a cost savings on a per night basis... oh and all the [insert magical emotional feels you’ll get for yourself/family here].

Some see the timeshare-forced vacation not unlike how homeowners see a mortgage as forced savings: without the former, doing the latter would be more challenging.

But that’s where the similarities with renting vs. owning ends. While it’s true that buying a Disney timeshare is buying a deeded interest in a piece of property, it’s more akin to a lease, in that it’s a depreciating asset that will eventually go to zero with noting but your use of the product to show for it. Could you at some point sell it? History says, “Probably.” But like any other lease, buy to use, not to sell.

The biggest difference for me between the
whole buying-a-Disney-timeshare/paying cash vs. the buying-a-house/renting analogy is that no matter what happens in life, you will have a roof over your head that you will have to pay for. Alongside paying for food, paying for housing is something you will need to do no matter what.

Paying to see a fake castle year over year for the next 22-50 years? Not so much.

People will often justify their Disney timeshare purchases saying “I’m going to go every year anyway.” And while for some fans that may be true, if most people look back 10 years prior to buying a Disney timeshare, their pattern of visiting Disney likely won’t match their first 10 years of timeshare ownership.

The product fundamentally changes how often you visit Disney and the ways you do it (e.g., bringing friends/family). Don’t buy for some calculated savings you’ll realize from no longer staying on cash. Buy because that’s a change you want to see and are willing to pay more for.

and I want to see if having a DVC is worth it for us. So, I come to the experts!

We're west coasters, so I'd prefer our home resort to be the new one at DLR or even Aulani. So my question to you is, should we wait til the new one comes up, or should we buy resale at Aulani?

We're headed to DLR for a vacation in March, and I'm sure I could get DH to check it out with me to get the details, but I want to use that information to tell him either, "Yes, let's buy new!" or, "No, let's check into resale instead."

And, as we're Canadian, are there tips specifically designed to make the process easier across-border?

TIA!
The new DVC Disneyland Resort, which might open in 3 or 4 years, will probably be one of the most popular booking targets for people trying to use DVC at Disneyland. There is a very large, pent up demand for DVC units at Disneyland. Depending, of course, on the point charts.

So, like at Grand Californian, if you want to use DVC at Dsineland, you are most likely to have troubleusing it,unless you own at that resort as your Home Resort.

The new DVC Disneyland Resort, which might open in 3 or 4 years, will probably be one of the most popular booking targets for people trying to use DVC at Disneyland. There is a very large, pent up demand for DVC units at Disneyland. Depending, of course, on the point charts.

So, like at Grand Californian, if you want to use DVC at Dsineland, you are most likely to have troubleusing it,unless you own at that resort as your Home Resort.

I bet they capitalize on the market and point charts will be higher. But then again, when they built CCV they marched to BRV.

I don’t know how close this new place will be to VGC though. If it’s far enough away, then it won’t need to compete.

As you said, lots of DVC interest out there so I’m sure people will just accept what it is!

I believe the proposed new DVC property is intended to be built right next to the existing Disneyland Hotel. Thus, it will be pretty darn close to the Grand Californian. :)

I believe the proposed new DVC property is intended to be built right next to the existing Disneyland Hotel. Thus, it will be pretty darn close to the Grand Californian. :)
Correct it is proposed to go in the Southwest corner of the Disneyland Hotel property. It will be closer to PPH than GCH but nothing at DLR is more than a 15-20 min away. Though to note if security procedures remain in place DLH guests wishing to visit GCH will have to go through security and DTD (unless you have a dining reservation then they let you through the main entrance off Disneyland Drive), so it takes a bit longer (distance and time) to get there because of that.

I also live on the west coast and have owned VGC since 2009. You will definitely need to own there if you want to stay there, and be prepared to book early, before the 7 month mark. Something to be aware of, as a Canadian from B.C., you'll need to either buy while you're at Disneyland/WDW or buy resale. Disney isn't licensed to sell DVC in B.C. Personally, I'd buy resale. I don't think the perks are worthwhile enough to pay all that extra money to the Mouse.

I haven't read all of the replies, so I don't know if this has been addressed, but if you buy resale at Aulani, you will not be able to use those points at the new Disneyland DVC resort. Resale restrictions now limit purchases at older DVC properties to the current 14 DVC resorts, excluding Riviera. You will be able to use Aulani points at the Villas at the Grand Californian, but those are notoriously hard to get at the seven month mark. I live in Salt Lake, and even though we own DVC, we end up staying at the Disneyland Hotel for cash on our Disneyland trips. Mainly because the Grand Californian is a point eater, and I don't want to waste my points.

Good luck with your decision!

DL is much easier to navigate with non-Disney properties. I would be doing math against staying in even a very nice one of those, and there are many.

If I were buying a timeshare in Hawaii or California, I would be reading, reading, reading on how those states are dealing with timeshares, and how timeshares are moving in the future. Those are very different places with very different state lawmakers than the well-established timeshare homeland of Florida.

It's also worth considering US tax law in this discussion. Buying/selling US real estate has added complications for foreign buyers subjecting themselves to US (and state) taxes.

This is not the kind of information I would expect to get from Disney.

I also live on the west coast and have owned VGC since 2009. You will definitely need to own there if you want to stay there, and be prepared to book early, before the 7 month mark. Something to be aware of, as a Canadian from B.C., you'll need to either buy while you're at Disneyland/WDW or buy resale. Disney isn't licensed to sell DVC in B.C. Personally, I'd buy resale. I don't think the perks are worthwhile enough to pay all that extra money to the Mouse.
Are there other things as a fellow British Columbian I need to know before purchasing resale?
Just starting to look into buying. Also, trying to figure out use year and if there are pros and cons to different months, I’ve June or December.
Tax implications as a foreign buyer?

We are west coasters (Seattle but writing this from Whistler : ]. We started at Aulani and which is probably the best DVC property and have used our points many times at WDW. We have stayed at all the resorts except Riviera & and the east coast ones. We did buy VGF also about a year later because it’s our favorite and hard to get. I had a lot of luck at VGC for one and two beds at VGC at first but about 18 mos age that ended. Even at 7 mos were at a disadvantage because we have to get online at 5 am each morning we try. So I gave up and bought at VGC last year. Problem is, they cost so much more than Aulani, we will only use at VGC because why else buy them?

I say, get Aulani and try that out for a trip or two and then buy at VGC when you get addonitus because you will. Or maybe by then, we’ll know more about DLs proposed resort. One thing we can be certain of, it will be expensive likely both in buy in and points charts. Since, one has a tendency to self restrict when buying VGC at today’s prices, I wouldn’t even worry about resale restriction if you decide to get resale there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter