Allergic reaction from pruning shrubs..

DISNEYFANRI

<font color=CC66CC>Is going to get BACK on that wa
Hi everyone - first time posting in this forum - have a question. I was pruning my juniper shrubs on Sunday - no gloves - as I was doing it I noticed little "pickies" stuck in my hands - after I finished I noticed that my hands and forearms (up to where my sleeves were pushed up) were very red and swollen and have welts all over them. They are not itchy but sore - tight - almost like they have been burned. I took benadryl yesterday and they seem a little better this morning.

Anyone experience this??

It,s a common allergy to the strong oils in the juniper plant. The same oil is used to flavor gin. The needles scratch the skin just a little bit, the oil gets in....you itch. It'll be gne by tommorow. My worst gardening allergy is the Hyacinth bulb. Never ever touch those without a glove!

I do the same thing if I handle Ivy. Not good for me.

I swell from just simple scratches too... of course that means when I prune roses I am doomed to a few days of scratched and puffy arms. :rolleyes:

Welcome, DISNEYFANRI! :flower3:

Ouch, that sounds miserable!!

Do you have someone who can do the job for you, next time? Long sleeves and gloves sound in order, but even then, your reaction sounds fairly severe and it might be better to have someone else trim the junipers.

I am definitely going to try gloves and long sleeves next time - if that doesn't work I'll have my son help me.

Still have small welts but he swelling has gone down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter