Alton Towers Oblivion

Spaceman Spiff

one by one, cleaning the universal boards of riff-
I was checking out some coaster links and came across this fascinating coaster. It's something so different and unique that I thought I would share it with you guys. I grabbed these pics from others sites(shhh dont tell anyone ;) ).

oblivion.jpg

oblivion.jpg

obliv1.jpg

I agree, Oblivion looks very cool. Perhaps the most interesting tidbit is the fact that Alton Towers is not allowed to build anything above tree level due to local zoning restrictions (therefore most coasters are partly underground/in a trench). The actual lift is only 65 feet tall, while the drop (which actually isn't vertical, slightly off at 87.5°, not enough to notice ;) ) is 180 long, 115 ft. underground. The bad part is that the ride is very short. Another interesting feature is the brake at the top of the hill, which stops riders for several seconds before they plummit "into Oblivion." There are currently two B&M Drop Machines in the world, Oblivion and G5. G5 is a mirror image of Oblivion, except only a very small part of it is underground. It is located at Janfusun Fancyworld (what a wierd name) in Taiwan. I haven't been able to ride either yet, and there are currently no plans to bring one to the US. Pictures and information about Oblivion Pictures and information about G5
These sites are on Cobra Roll , easily the best source for information about B&M coasters.

Hi,

Alton Towers is probably the best theme park in the UK for "white Knuckle" rides.

Also, at Thorpe Park, they are building the worlds first (?) 10 loop coaster. It's not been started yet but I'll post some pics when known.

:smooth:

Hopefully someone will build one of these coaster here in the states so we can all ride one. Im looking forward to seeing pics of there new B&M flying coaster when its complete. That is gonna be one heck of a ride.:p

We went to Alton Towers last October.I chickened out of Oblivion! It was great to watch though and very impressive(for the UK!)

Karen

:p

DDs (aged 15 and 12 at the time) did this 3 or 4 times.

The day we were there it was being tested 'empty' for several hours before they would let any riders on. That's because the day before, it got stuck for 45 minutes with riders suspended over the precipice!

I should cocoa!!

Oblivion is a good ride, I've been on it lodes of times, since I live in the UK. It is however only a good ride, not a brilliant ride. Hulk is a million times better.

Oblivion is really that one drop, then that's it. A Boring ride....to be fair its a good drop but I never wait more than 10 mins for it.

There are much better coasters around. If there were a Drop Machine coaster like Oblivion to be built, with loops, and more track, then that would be some ride!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter