• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Am I going to lose my room prefs?

niks81

Let's just say I wasn't the 'only one'!<br><font c
I have a trip planned for next June at the BWV in a studio preferred room. I am not a DVC member--I rented points from a member and he called on the very day the 11 month window opened up for my reservation. This, he said, was to ensure that my room requests were met because I was paying for a preferred view and wanted a BW view, top floor, etc. Well, now my friend my be coming along with me and my SO. When thinking about it, even though the 1 BR will cost me an ADDITIONAL $1100 I felt it would be better for everyone to have more space, especially because my SO is going and I would like some romance you know :) Anyway....if I change my reservation to a 1BR preferred then the chance of my getting the same preferences is less isn't it? I would only be at the 8 month window, not 11 month. I am going to be checking in at the BWV at 8:30 in the morning by the way because I know that that has some pull with room requests. If I chose a standard room it would save me $400, but I don't know if there would be any left at this point. And if I choose preferred and don't get the BW view I will be upset because that's why I began planning so early. Can anyone help me out on what I should do here? Would the studio be ok? I posted on the resort board but I'm hoping you DVC experts can add some tips.

COME ON GUYS! I NEED SOME ADVICE!

First, realize that even at 11 months you might not get what you ask for.

Room requests are done in order of reservation - the older the reservations get put in the queue first. Then, by medical, then smoking preference and then all others (unless things have changed, this is the method described to me by a Vero Beach CM that used to do room assignments).

If you change your ressies from a studio to a 1BR at 8 months then all those that requested your view from 11-8 months are now ahead of you. That is what I would assume would happen. I have also found that arriving at 7:00 AM vs 4:00 PM offers no liklihood that your room request will be honored any better.

I have booked at the 11 month window and requested different views and always received them. One time I requested right at the 11 month for an EPCOT view and was given room 5001, which has a great view of EPCOT and is the furthest room from the elevator. It was like they started there and moved closer to the elevator. I have also booked at 7 and 5 months and did NOT receive my requests.

It's pretty much a gamble. I don't think anyone here would try to blow smoke at you and reassure you that you will get your preferences.

However, if I was going with my SO and another person, I would not choose the studio with the great view over the 1 bdrm. There's no BAD view IMHO, and the extra space, the jacuzzi, the full kitchen, and especially the privacy are well worth it.

Besides, when it comes down to the nitty-gritty the view is not the most important reason for the trip. I would take what I could get in a 1 BDRM and if I got a great view, it's just icing on an already very wonderful cake.

I wouldn't pin all your hopes on that Boardwalk view. I made a reservation for last December right at 9:00am at the 11 month mark of my checkout day. I also requested Boardwalk view, top floor, 1 bedroom. We got quiet pool, top floor. I begged and pleaded at the checkin desk, but no luck. They said all the Boardwalk view rooms were filled, but they could check for later in my stay (would have to pay the change fee). I said no, it wasn't worth moving since we had groceries and everything. I just wonder if I hurt myself by also requesting top floor. I wished I would have sent a fax saying Boardwalk view was my main request, any floor, it wouldn't have hurt. I also wonder if arriving at 3:00pm hurt my chances. Another thing that bugs me is that they offer to move people later in their stay if a Boardwalk view becomes available. So someone who made their reservation after me, but arrived earlier in the week could have moved into a Boardwalk view I could have got. Anyway, this year I reserved standard view. 121 points vs 155 points.

It's really the luck of the draw. There are others on this board who did not get the Boardwalk view who reserved at 11 months and there are people who got it when they reserved shortly before arriving. It all depends on how many people are checking out of those rooms, they are only 20% of the total rooms. I would not base your decision hoping for the elusive Boardwalk view. We had a great time anyway, our view was of the canal and MGM in the distance. The room was very nice. It was only the 60's that week, so we didn't even sit out on the balcony. Have a great time!:)

I would agree that if you and SO and a friend are going to be sharing the space,then you need to go with the 1 BR as opposed to the studio. That being said, have you ever had a BW view room before?? I never have, but others that I know who have, have said that it can be noisy. But you also said your friend MAY be coming. Before I went and changed anything, I'd have my friend make a final decision. If the final decision is yes, then you should get a 1BR. Really, we've had a standard view at BWV, and that gave a view of the front entrance with all the lights and comings and goings, which was nice as well. We have never planned anything around the view from our hotel, because we actually spend very little time there, and no view is terrible!

Niks, I would definitely go for the 1 bedroom with your party. The master bedroom/bath with jacuzzi is just too nice to pass up on. Plus, I think you will appreciate the privacy. As far as the 11 months out request, I have tried on three different trips to get a BW view. All three times, I made my reservations at exactly 11 months out (two of those three were done on a day by day basis even) and yet I NEVER got the BW view. The request all three times was first a BW view, and second, a non-smoking room, but that was all I asked for. My request each of these times was for a 2 bedroom unit as well. The one time I added a studio to my 2 bedroom reservation, I had to take a PV studio because the reservation was made at 6 months out and that was all that was available. Guess what? The studio was a BW view. (They called it a BW view but I thought it looked more at the surrey bike rental stand. :D) The studio was only for a three day stay and the 2 bedroom for an entire week. I don't know why it works the way it does but please don't think that you are guaranteed the BW view with the studio just because you made the reservation at 11 months out. I now always take a standard view if it is available to save my points for another trip! Enjoy.

Hi -

I have been a DVC member since 95 and always make my ressies at 9:00am at 11th month window(day by day). We go at least once a year, sometimes twice a year. I have never gotten any of the requests I have made except for the request for a non-smoking room. I have tried putting the requests in a different order, limiting the number of requests, tried checking in a different times. etc. but with no luck. I beleive you either get lucky or you don't. Either way, don't let it ruin your trip. I would reccommend booking the 1 bedroom because there is no guarentee you will get the room requests with the studio at 11 months!!

I'm not sure how the requests actually work. We almost always reserve at the 11 month window, and it's still a crapshoot at the Boardwalk. We usually would get what we ask for at the Okw, (by the main pool), but the Boardwalk seems to be different. Last Feb, our preferred view was of the Swan and Dolphin, even though we made resv. at the 11 month window for Pool or BW view, non-smoking.

.....but did you ever think of joining DVC?

You've gotten lots of great advice and information in the other replies, but I couldn't help but notice that you go to WDW frequently and always stay at the nicest places.

Why not put the dollars you're spending on this trip into a DVC purchase and pay the future year's costs out of the money you would be paying for Hotels? I'll bet it would cost you less each year and you would come out ahead in no more than five years.

Getting a one bedroom would then be no problem for you from a hard-dollar expense perspective.

BTW, the BW views are NOT "noisy", at least IMHO. Yes, you can sometimes hear the horns of the boats coming and going and some of the voices and other sounds drifting up from the people below.........but isn't that all part of why we go to BW in the first place?????

Good luck in your decision and have a wonderful trip whatever you decide to do.

I have to agree with many who have already posted here. The view is not the most important thing. Besides, some of the standard view rooms have a wonderful view of Illuminations.

The 1 BR is so much better than the studio, I wouldn't even consider a studio.

I too wondered why you didn't just buy into DVC since you like to go often and stay in deluxe accomodations on site. That was the reason we bought in the first place. We have owned at OKW since 1997 and have always gotten our requests. Of course, we keep them simple; non smoking, and as far from the HH as possible!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter