Am I the only one that is unimpressed with SWGE - where is the juice?

Hate to break it to you but the original Stormtroopers along with Vader were also modeled after WWII
The original Stormtroopers were the KeyStone cops of bad guys, couldn't shoot straight, rarely hit anything, no blood. The new First Order just took a few steps closer to Nazi WWII troop formations, massive propaganda speech stages, and just copied the WWII a little too close for comfort for what's supposed to be a fun carefree Saturday Adventure popcorn movie. I prefer the goofy but almost bumbling Empire in comparison to the cold precision and hate vibe I pick up on from The First Order.

Anyway... thanks to all who answered my original question.

It still feels like we are getting Harry Potter World without any of the Harry Potter Characters. Galaxy's Edge without Vader, Han, Luke, R2, C3PO, Leia, JarJar, feels like.... saying Snow White, Peter Pan, Pirates, and Swiss Family Robinson are all dead so we won't show the original characters that made those movies so memorable. The original movie is always better than the sequels that follow. The way Disney has erased the original 3 Star Wars just had me wondering if George Lucas had a 25% share in the original locations and characters as is being reported this week on YouTube?

After the flop of Disney Land's opening, I'm guessing there will be active market intelligence operations at Disney Worlds opening. I hope they ask me to fill out a survey. I would have much preferred the original cast and characters, I'd spend a week instead of now just planning to spend a day (just not excited about planning this trip when it comes to the Star Wars leg. Its weird for a lifelong fan having grown up so closely with Disney and Star Wars since the 1070's).

Last edited:
Probably has someting to due with the expectations set after years of hype while the land was being built.
You have a point and the 40 years of a fanbase development that was imagining visiting the place we saw in the movies for 4 decades. This time it feels like Disney has given us the empty box instead of the toy and said sarcastically - use your imagination. Invent your own story. (Their clever way of spinning why they aren't giving us the original content that made Star Wars the success that it was)

Previously, I had been impressed by everything Disney World has done since my first trip in 1972. Yet Star Wars land without original Star Wars characters or locations is feeling like Harry Potter land without the content of Harry Potter. There has to be a reason for this fishy strategy? Toys sales are down, the movie box office is down, Disney Land is down? Yet they pick a planet we never heard of and a timeline that won't allow for the original characters? This is what killing a golden goose feels like?

If they had split the land down the middle... I bet the line for Tatooine and Mos Eisley cantina would have been 10 times longer than the line for Batuu? ;)

I am still going to Disney World as I love it so much, and I hope I'm wrong about Star Wars Land... but the feedback from Disney Land hasn't been encouraging.

Last edited:
Probably has someting to due with the expectations set after years of hype while the land was being built.

Not a good reason. Sorry, but until I am physically in a place I am not going to comment on what it should or should not be.

I appreciate reading everyone's experiences and views for those who have gone. I am hoping to see it for myself next year so am trying to reserve complete judgment but I have to say - from seeing the pictures and from what I have read my excitement has been muted.

QUOTE="fatmanatee, post: 60898536, member: 605794"]
I get that a lot of people would have liked original trilogy locations in this area but as far as this goes I can't think of anything more restrictive from a creative standpoint than "just recreate these existing places from the original trilogy".

Before I went to Universal's Harry Potter World I was SOOOOOO crazy excited and when I went it exceeded all expectations and blew me away. It brought the story to life and we (my friends and family) have spent hours over many days in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade with so much to do and see. Not to mention the incredible rides that are there. I think the success of that land is the fact that they "recreated the existing places". That's what people want to see. I don't want imagineers to be "creative" and build another wizarding school that is not actually Hogwarts but Hogwarts "like". Or a wizarding world that could have existed during Harry Potter's time. I think the success of it is that it is built in the familiarity and people recognize it and love it. The beauty in it is that it is not obscure.

And so far, SWGE seems obscure.

HP at universal did focus on 3 main locations but there are so many more they could have included: the Ministry of Magic office, Malfoy Mansion, Weasley's house, Hagrid's Hut, Privet Drive. So while not in the hundreds of locations like SW has I am sure if they put their mind to it Disney could have narrowed it down and picked a few memorable ones. (Tattooine and Dagobah would have been great starts!!)

It's too bad they did not put us in our own SW adventure within lands we would recognize. I think the timeline and location restrictions are silly and arbitrary really. It's Disneyworld for goodness sake - everything is fantasy and make believe. They could have made it anything they want.

Anyhow, my two cents, pre-trip mind you! Maybe I will be blown away when I go next year and have to come back and update my thoughts!
[/QUOTE]
Exactly! Give people a familar setting with new experiences to explore. As you captured so well, It is Disneyworld where EVERYTHING is fantasy and make believe - ALL is possible! Walt himself said something similar, “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” “The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.” “When you believe in a thing, believe in itall the way, implicitly and unquestionably.” “If you can dream it, you can do it.”

I think it's a mistake to assume the Disneyland SWGE "flopped" because it didn't recreate a setting from the original series. Disney increased prices, imposed an AP blockout, and signaled again and again through their announcements of crowd management strategies that they expected the land to be absolutely slammed for months on end. Reading these boards and various Disney blogs in the leadup, everyone in the know was cautioning people against visiting in the land's first few months...and people listened. Particularly when you consider that Disneyland is a locals' park and its audience is generally more in tune with its general goings-on, it seems clear to me that this was a marketing and pricing error, not a design error. The reviews from the people who did go to AP previews or in the months since have generally been very positive. I think that's the reason Disney has been so tight-lipped about its crowd control strategies for Florida. They don't want to repeat their mistake and cause more people to postpone their trips. They've also introduced lower-priced midday tickets to bring back in guests who felt priced out. Look at what Disney is doing right now and it's pretty clear where they know they went wrong on the first try.

Edit: Please don't quote me and ping me back to this thread. As I stated in another comment further on, I don't want to be part of this discussion anymore. Thanks!

Last edited:

I think it's a mistake to assume the Disneyland SWGE "flopped" because it didn't recreate a setting from the original series. Disney increased prices, imposed an AP blockout, and signaled again and again through their announcements of crowd management strategies that they expected the land to be absolutely slammed for months on end. Reading these boards and various Disney blogs in the leadup, everyone in the know was cautioning people against visiting in the land's first few months...and people listened. Particularly when you consider that Disneyland is a locals' park and its audience is generally more in tune with its general goings-on, it seems clear to me that this was a marketing and pricing error, not a design error. The reviews from the people who did go to AP previews or in the months since have generally been very positive. I think that's the reason Disney has been so tight-lipped about its crowd control strategies for Florida. They don't want to repeat their mistake and cause more people to postpone their trips. They've also introduced lower-priced midday tickets to bring back in guests who felt priced out. Look at what Disney is doing right now and it's pretty clear where they know they went wrong on the first try.

Perhaps. But perhaps it is simply a case of over promising and under delivering. The original plans for SWGE were really cool. Then, as usual, the budget got slashed and all the things that were going to make this land "the best themed land in theme park history" got cut. All one needs to do is look back on the announcement at 2015s D23 convention to realize that half the stuff they "promised" never saw the light of day. The land feels devoid of life. It's a fine place to grab a meal, because that's about all they got right there.

Remember how there were going to be tons of aliens and bounty hunters walking around and they were going to "know" what side you were on? Remember how your performance on the MF ride was going to "follow you around and give you a reputation?" Remember the dinner show artwork showing animatronic and live actor aliens and, yes, a 3PO droid? Remember how there were going to be droids roaming around? Remember how there were going to be ships flying overhead? Remember how there was going to actually be stuff going on in this land, to make it feel like a real, lived in place? None of that materialized and the land is boring as heck. Disney knows they done messed up. Publicly, they will NEVER admit it though.

What I am interested to see is, how is this Star Wars hotel gonna pan out? I have a bad feeling about that project, especially at the rumored price point. I just don't think enough people will bite, after seeing what the land actually turned out to be. Who's to say how much of what was promised about the hotel will actually come to fruition?

Also the settings in Star Wars are nearly impossible to create, compared to that of Harry Potter. An ice planet, a swamp, desserts, a forest, a cloud city, Naboo, starships, space... What we got are things that look like they're a part of that world a sort of combination of Mos Eisley and Yavin Base.

Also the settings in Star Wars are nearly impossible to create, compared to that of Harry Potter. An ice planet, a swamp, desserts, a forest, a cloud city, Naboo, starships, space... What we got are things that look like they're a part of that world a sort of combination of Mos Eisley and Yavin Base.

That seems to be the crux of the problem. Instead of Disney doing what Disney does best, they tried too hard to copy what Universal did with Harry Potter. Universal had it easy, because like you said, that movie takes place on earth, at least, and so the locations are easily recreatable.

What Disney SHOULD HAVE done was just make a Star Wars themed land, and include a little of everything. It did not have to be any specific location. Most Disney "lands" around the globe do not attempt to re create a place (Carsland being the exception). Rather, they use a theme to tie together the attractions, shows, eateries, etc. THIS would have been a huge hit. They could make attractions that go more immersive into specific locations (for example, a speeder bike ride through a forest, a pod race simulator ride, a battle of Hoth ride, a kiddie ride using landspeeders, etc). The Millenium Falcon could have simply had a better storyline. They could have built an actual Mos Eisley Cantina. They could have built a walk through of Luke's house. They could have had an interactive forest attraction where you meet Yoda. They could have built a really cool Ewok themed playground with an Ewok meet and greet. The possibilities are endless.

What Disney SHOULD HAVE done was just make a Star Wars themed land, and include a little of everything. It did not have to be any specific location. Most Disney "lands" around the globe do not attempt to re create a place (Carsland being the exception). Rather, they use a theme to tie together the attractions, shows, eateries, etc. THIS would have been a huge hit. They could make attractions that go more immersive into specific locations (for example, a speeder bike ride through a forest, a pod race simulator ride, a battle of Hoth ride, a kiddie ride using landspeeders, etc). The Millenium Falcon could have simply had a better storyline. They could have built an actual Mos Eisley Cantina. They could have built a walk through of Luke's house. They could have had an interactive forest attraction where you meet Yoda. They could have built a really cool Ewok themed playground with an Ewok meet and greet. The possibilities are endless.
I don’t think you can say what Disney should have done. There is a big divide here. I disagree with that statement. I know many others who do as well. I know many on your side though as well. You cannot please everyone that’s pretty simple. Disney didn’t just pull this concept out of nowhere. They worked hand in hand with creators at Lucasfilm to create a real canonical place. Taking bite and pieces from various movies would’ve been completely out of place. You can’t just jump from Tatooine and go to Endor without some sort of way to get you there.

I don’t think you can say what Disney should have done. There is a big divide here. I disagree with that statement. I know many others who do as well. I know many on your side though as well. You cannot please everyone that’s pretty simple. Disney didn’t just pull this concept out of nowhere. They worked hand in hand with creators at Lucasfilm to create a real canonical place. Taking bite and pieces from various movies would’ve been completely out of place. You can’t just jump from Tatooine and go to Endor without some sort of way to get you there.

Well, then how come you can jump from Indiana Jones ride to the Pirates of the Caribbean to Tarzan's Treehouse to Tiki Room? Or how come you can jump from the Matterhorn to Peter Pan's London to Snow White's forest to Pinocchios Italian village? The lands don't have to be places. They can just be themed to a central idea. That is what Disney has been doing since Disneyland opened. They are trying too hard, in my opinion, to create "immersive locations." It's just how I feel. I like the lands that have different experiences but fall under the same thematic umbrella.

Star Wars isnt a place. It's a universe. They still tried to create a place, rather than just creating a land that embodied the whole universe.

Well, then how come you can jump from Indiana Jones ride to the Pirates of the Caribbean to Tarzan's Treehouse to Tiki Room? Or how come you can jump from the Matterhorn to Peter Pan's London to Snow White's forest to Pinocchios Italian village? The lands don't have to be places. They can just be themed to a central idea. That is what Disney has been doing since Disneyland opened. They are trying too hard, in my opinion, to create "immersive locations." It's just how I feel. I like the lands that have different experiences but fall under the same thematic umbrella.

Star Wars isnt a place. It's a universe. They still tried to create a place, rather than just creating a land that embodied the whole universe.

But times and things have indeed changed since DL has opened and the all immersive ideology is a thing now, look at the older SW ride in HS, and then go for a walk in GE, HUGE difference and thinking! Creating a "whole universe" is pretty much what Disney has done with GE. It is very easy to sit here at home critiquing Disney and GE and until one gets to step into GE it is all speculative, nothing more.....

I understand that but at the same time this land was always billed as a place to put you inside the Star Wars Story. Disney wants it to be an immersive “real” place. Having pieces from various planets doesn’t do that. Like you said universal had it easier from that front because Potter is pretty central to one place or area. Something like fantasyland is a collective place. A Star Wars specific land to me isn’t the same thing.

It is very easy to sit here at home critiquing Disney and GE and until one gets to step into GE it is all speculative, nothing more.....

I've been to Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge 5 times now. My critique is based on my experiences in the land as well as living in a home with 2 MASSIVE Star Wars fans, one of whom has spent huge amounts of money over the years on his obsession. We have an entire Star Wars room in our house. It's like a museum. It's a major part of my life. I speak as both a Disney nerd and a Star Wars fan by osmosis. Our family, minus the youngling who is autistic and mostly just likes the MF ride for it's repetitive button smashing properties, thinks the land is a dud overall. I only keep going there for the Ronto Wrap, the Shaak Roast (had it for dinner again 2 nights ago) and to appease the kid who wants to JUST be the gunner and smash buttons for 3 minutes. I honestly kind of hate the ride at this point. I am tolerating it because my son has special needs and cannot do single rider, despite being 13. It had so much potential, but the execution is poor.

I've been to Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge 5 times now. My critique is based on my experiences in the land as well as living in a home with 2 MASSIVE Star Wars fans, one of whom has spent huge amounts of money over the years on his obsession. We have an entire Star Wars room in our house. It's like a museum. It's a major part of my life. I speak as both a Disney nerd and a Star Wars fan by osmosis. Our family, minus the youngling who is autistic and mostly just likes the MF ride for it's repetitive button smashing properties, thinks the land is a dud overall. I only keep going there for the Ronto Wrap, the Shaak Roast (had it for dinner again 2 nights ago) and to appease the kid who wants to JUST be the gunner and smash buttons for 3 minutes. I honestly kind of hate the ride at this point. I am tolerating ig because my son has special needs and cannot do single rider, despite being 13.

Ahhhh, I remember those days of the kids and smashing buttons and it seemed like it was for not, do they actually make the ride that much different? So glad to hear about the food as the Dis Unplugged state the Wrap was too dry while Ryno stated the opposite, sad you feel that way as I am so looking forward in taking it all in for what it is, part of the Disney magic, hopefully you and your family enjoy it for the most part.......have fun!!

I always choose to experience something before formulating an opinion. It's hard for me to talk about something that I haven't done and seen in person. I'm withholding judgement until I get to walk the streets, drink at the Cantina, ride the MF, etc. Labor Day weekend!

At the end of the day, SWGE is an incomplete land and will not be complete until December/January. If RoTR becomes a major hit and places itself near of the top of must-do attractions at WDW (which, from the talk about it being one of the most advanced rides they have ever made, it sounds like it will), I think some people will begin to change their tune.

While I don't care about Avatar as a movie or an upcoming franchise a whole lot, I still love Pandora. The floating mountains are great, the canteen is a good QS option, the detail is extraordinary. Still, I believe FoP makes that land what it is. It's the crown jewel of things to do in Pandora (to me, at least). Would people find Pandora a success without FoP? Perhaps? Maybe not? I don't know...

What I DO know is that I really don't want to ride NRJ over and over again. I don't want to watch the drum show over and over again. I can live without some of the land-specific foods and souvenirs and whatnot. I want to ride FoP over and over again. I have a greater appreciation for the land as a whole because that ride gives me that one-of-a-kind experience.

RoTR could do the same thing to SWGE...so maybe it's just missing its crown jewel? Only time will tell. Either way, I cannot wait to see it!

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I had friends who were. I don't blame Disney for going with a different location. I always heard people pretending to be a Jedi, a Pilot, and alien, Sith, whatever... not pretending to be on backwater planets like Tatooine or Hoth or Dagobah. With HP, people fantasized about getting that letter in the mail -- going to Hogwarts themself. Personally I WOULD prefer if there was less stuff about Harry himselfm

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan but I had friends who were. I don't blame Disney for going with a different location. I always heard people pretending to be a Jedi, a Pilot, and alien, Sith, whatever... not pretending to be on backwater planets like Tatooine or Hoth or Dagobah. With HP, people fantasized about getting that letter in the mail -- going to Hogwarts themself. Personally I WOULD prefer if there was less stuff about Harry himselfm

I am a SW fan and do understand the theming here and to a small degree understand the critiquing but not sure what was expected, Disney owns SW now and does as they see fit, created a backstory and built as needed....I personally would have preferred a Lord of the Rings "Shire land" or to that affect myself...

Remember how there were going to be tons of aliens and bounty hunters walking around and they were going to "know" what side you were on? Remember how your performance on the MF ride was going to "follow you around and give you a reputation?" Remember the dinner show artwork showing animatronic and live actor aliens and, yes, a 3PO droid? Remember how there were going to be droids roaming around? Remember how there were going to be ships flying overhead? Remember how there was going to actually be stuff going on in this land, to make it feel like a real, lived in place? None of that materialized and the land is boring as heck. Disney knows they done messed up. Publicly, they will NEVER admit it though.
No, I don't remember any of those things, because I didn't follow early announcements and did not base my expectations on concept art. Disney has changed or cancelled many, many things after initial announcements over the decades, so I make a rule of waiting to see things myself and actively avoiding learning too much in advance, particularly from early announcements that might not come to fruition.

I think I'm going to bow out of this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing SWGE for myself and passing my own judgment, and until I've actually done that I can't really engage with this conversation beyond the circular arguments about the setting choice. I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and I don't really want to hear everything that's "wrong" with the place before I've gotten to experience it for myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!