Am I the only one underwhelmed by Riviera?

We are not DVC but just stayed at Riviera in a studio,standard view. We loved the resort And our room. We had a queen, a pull down queen Murphy bed and a pull down twin under the TV. The rooms seemed bigger than studios we’ve stayed in at SSR and AKL. Plus the rooms were so quiet. Couldn’t hear a sound from outside the room. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Glad I read this thread, LOL. I didn't think it looked or sounded like something I would like, too many old tricks and shortcuts to squeeze more sardines in cheap for max profit. Plus it will be a cold day in Heck that you'll get me on the sky liner, or will I let my grandkids ride that accident waiting to happen. Also, for those that are thinking about it, that ride will be closed if winds exceed 25 MPH . So for at least an hour a day during summer spring and fall it will be closed. Thunderstorms. I remember they had a ride like this from one side of the park to the other years ago and they took it down as it was closed as much as open. It was just a stupid idea, IMHO.

We are not DVC but just stayed at Riviera in a studio,standard view. We loved the resort And our room. We had a queen, a pull down queen Murphy bed and a pull down twin under the TV. The rooms seemed bigger than studios we’ve stayed in at SSR and AKL. Plus the rooms were so quiet. Couldn’t hear a sound from outside the room. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Whereabouts was this super quiet room? There's been a complaint or two about noise so it might be helpful to share the details on where rooms were quiet. Thanks!

Glad I read this thread, LOL. I didn't think it looked or sounded like something I would like, too many old tricks and shortcuts to squeeze more sardines in cheap for max profit. Plus it will be a cold day in Heck that you'll get me on the sky liner, or will I let my grandkids ride that accident waiting to happen. Also, for those that are thinking about it, that ride will be closed if winds exceed 25 MPH . So for at least an hour a day during summer spring and fall it will be closed. Thunderstorms. I remember they had a ride like this from one side of the park to the other years ago and they took it down as it was closed as much as open. It was just a stupid idea, IMHO.

My understanding is that it runs unless lightening is within a certain distance. There could also be a wind speed, but have heard it is much higher than 25 mph. Can you share where you got that information from?

Could you please post room number and any pictures in this thread:

RIVera rooms with a View

Also, for those that are thinking about it, that ride will be closed if winds exceed 25 MPH . So for at least an hour a day during summer spring and fall it will be closed. Thunderstorms. I remember they had a ride like this from one side of the park to the other years ago and they took it down as it was closed as much as open. It was just a stupid idea, IMHO.

Even if that proves true (closed 1 hour per day), it will still move thousands of guests efficiently the other 13-14 hours per day.

Do you really think they didn't take all of these things into consideration before they built the Skyliner?

The old in-park sky ride was constructed nearly 50 years ago. It closed for a variety of reasons including efficiency (again 50 year old tech), new safety regulations, plus the practical reality that Disney didn't like guests seeing "backstage" areas of the park--which were intended to remain hidden--from the sky.

ok, all of that is true. However, I've read several reports of same old problems. people stuck for 15-20 min. etc. they should have extended the monorail, as Walt had planned. You want to swing in a sky box, fine with me. At least now you will have your phone to entertain you. have a nice day.

ok, all of that is true. However, I've read several reports of same old problems. people stuck for 15-20 min. etc. they should have extended the monorail, as Walt had planned. You want to swing in a sky box, fine with me. At least now you will have your phone to entertain you. have a nice day.
Could you link the most recent reports of the Skyliner having the "same old problem"? I haven't seen many (not really any) recently and when I personally rode it over the course of a week and another weekend I experienced one stop (for loading an ECV at Riviera) for about 50 seconds. Also to what Walt planned with the monorail, he planned for innovation not static ideals of an original vision. I'm sure with new innovations in transportation Walt would have wanted to explore those, in fact his monorail installation was just to show they could be used for mass transportation, one could say installing the Skyliner is more true to Walt's vision because again its an exposition of what a gondola system could do for mass transportation.

Unfortunately we live in an evolving world, what guests wanted 15-20 years ago are different than what guests want today (in fact the predominate audience is changing each day). But we should all hope that WDW remains a place for imagination and letting yourself be free to your inner child, but how that is achieved unfortunately can't stay the same else WDW will die by stagnation.

My husband and I ended up using it for the first time yesterday to go from Epcot to the Studios. It was perfect weather and no wind. We rode it with 1 other couple and chatted throughout. That seemed to distract me. No stops but it bounced more than I felt comfortable with at the turn by the Boardwalk. I didn’t enjoy seeing back stage at each park. With time, maybe that will improve. We don’t stay at Skyliner resorts so the only use for us is between the two parks.

My understanding is that it runs unless lightning is within a certain distance. There could also be a wind speed, but have heard it is much higher than 25 mph. Can you share where you got that information from?
living in FL. for 25 years. 39 MPH is a tropical storm wind. all the bridges close at that point. Here's one article that talks pros and cons. it's pretty light but does mention blowing in the wind... No thanks for me. https://wdwnt.com/2019/09/review-th...ning-new-way-to-get-around-walt-disney-world/

I checked rooms for Moonlight Magic on February 25th and the Riviera had a Tower Studio available for $347. I wanted to think about it and run it by the wife. Currently we are staying at All Stars for $111 because it was the cheapest room available. We are only driving up for the one night.

By the time I decided to pull the trigger it was gone......

No stops but it bounced more than I felt comfortable with at the turn by the Boardwalk.
My kids love it and scream like it's a thrill ride. 😂 They ride going backwards, then look for each post and scream like they're on Everest. Luckily each time they've done this, we have a gondola to ourselves.

We ski, so gondolas in wind and snow and ice ... and more wind ... are not a thing for us.

I took a tour of Riviera with family who ended up buying DVC (bought into same resort I own). The rooms were really really nice, but we were all underwhelmed with the resort as a whole. I think many people will like it, though. Different resorts for people's different tastes.

Could you link the most recent reports of the Skyliner having the "same old problem"? I haven't seen many (not really any) recently and when I personally rode it over the course of a week and another weekend I experienced one stop (for loading an ECV at Riviera) for about 50 seconds. Also to what Walt planned with the monorail, he planned for innovation not static ideals of an original vision. I'm sure with new innovations in transportation Walt would have wanted to explore those, in fact his monorail installation was just to show they could be used for mass transportation, one could say installing the Skyliner is more true to Walt's vision because again its an exposition of what a gondola system could do for mass transportation.

Unfortunately we live in an evolving world, what guests wanted 15-20 years ago are different than what guests want today (in fact the predominate audience is changing each day). But we should all hope that WDW remains a place for imagination and letting yourself be free to your inner child, but how that is achieved unfortunately can't stay the same else WDW will die by stagnation.

On the bold -

I love the skyliner, and remain excited about it.

However, I have used it recently. My first go at it, it was completely down on the main Epcot line. And I waited. It never returned to service that night. I could have walked to Caribbean Beach and grabbed another line, but didn't.

The second time I did all three lines - loved it - but still had stoppages (which is normal, just explaining).

The third time hundreds of us were waiting packed in at the Epcot station when it stopped. I waited about twenty minutes for it to come back on line and then gave up (mainly because no information was shared) and I had no place to be - can't imagine the frustration of not knowing, if you had a reservation. I have no clue if it restarted - I assume it must have as it was a late afternoon stoppage.

Last edited:
On the bold -

I love the skyliner, and remain excited about it.

However, I have used it recently. My first go at it, it was completely down on the main Epcot line. And I waited. It never returned to service that night. I could have walked to Caribbean Beach and grabbed another line, but didn't.

The second time I did all three lines - loved it - but still had stoppages (which is normal, just explaining).

The third time hundreds of us were waiting packed in at the Epcot station when it stopped. I waited about twenty minutes for it to come back on line and then gave up (mainly because no information was shared) and I had no place to be - can't imagine the frustration of not knowing, if you had a reservation. I have no clue if it restarted - I assume it must have as it was a late afternoon stoppage.

Hi Lisa!!! It's been a loooong time! I hope all is well! So good to stumble across a familiar name - we had great conversations!

I stay at a lot of hotels, but the reason I bought into DVC was special hotels. I mean, where else can you see giraffes outside your room, or watch fireworks from your BLT balcony? It's incredible to me that my cheap Saratoga springs can get me a hotel room in the middle of a zoo.

To me, RIV looks like a nice business hotel that could be anywhere. It could be in Munich or Buenos Aires in dozens of nice hotels chains.

I do like the new room choices, to maximize revenue of course -- I don't even mind that it's more expensive, that makes sense to me. But this hotel has no wow factor. If I'm going to book a business hotel, I'll just stay at the Good Neighbor Best Western for half the price.

I stay at a lot of hotels, but the reason I bought into DVC was special hotels. I mean, where else can you see giraffes outside your room, or watch fireworks from your BLT balcony? It's incredible to me that my cheap Saratoga springs can get me a hotel room in the middle of a zoo.

To me, RIV looks like a nice business hotel that could be anywhere. It could be in Munich or Buenos Aires in dozens of nice hotels chains.

I do like the new room choices, to maximize revenue of course -- I don't even mind that it's more expensive, that makes sense to me. But this hotel has no wow factor. If I'm going to book a business hotel, I'll just stay at the Good Neighbor Best Western for half the price.
In all sincerity what makes BLT special, in your post above you stated it was the ability to watch fireworks from your balcony (if you book theme park view and some lake/standard)--something Riviera does provide with similar views (parking lot, trees, park). My gripe with Riviera is they should have added a third view classification of Theme Park View just like BLT to guarantee those firework views. Personally, BLT to me is just convenience it offers nothing more (over any of the other MK resorts) than convenience, and that is if you want to spend most of your time at MK (with occasional time at Epcot). Decor style BLT is very generic in the sense it is "modern" of a certain period in time and in the short future it loses the "most convenient" MK resort title to a tie likely. I've always been curious on BLT as I want to try it but feels similar to me as Riviera feels to you, I guess.

To me AKV is entirely different and THE most unique of all WDW resorts (hands down, though I really don't like the dark rooms) so I definitely get the sentiment on that one.

In all sincerity what makes BLT special, in your post above you stated it was the ability to watch fireworks from your balcony (if you book theme park view and some lake/standard)--something Riviera does provide with similar views (parking lot, trees, park). My gripe with Riviera is they should have added a third view classification of Theme Park View just like BLT to guarantee those firework views. Personally, BLT to me is just convenience it offers nothing more (over any of the other MK resorts) than convenience, and that is if you want to spend most of your time at MK (with occasional time at Epcot). Decor style BLT is very generic in the sense it is "modern" of a certain period in time and in the short future it loses the "most convenient" MK resort title to a tie likely. I've always been curious on BLT as I want to try it but feels similar to me as Riviera feels to you, I guess.

To me AKV is entirely different and THE most unique of all WDW resorts (hands down, though I really don't like the dark rooms) so I definitely get the sentiment on that one.
I agree with this about BLT. I didn't feel transported somewhere else like at all the other DVC resorts. If I stay there again in the future, it's just for the super convenience of the walk to the MK.

More than a few have compared it to a nice business hotel but I have never come across one like it in my many many years of business travel across the US, staying at all the major business orientated brands.

Now I have not seen it in person yet so my opinions may change but I've never run across a Marriott that looks like this...or maybe the cheap companies I worked for just always picked the most generic one!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!