AmaLea Danube ABD first sailing 2018

amberwc

Mouseketeer
Hi all, just boarded a few hours ago and now waiting for Welcoming Reception & Safety Meeting. I was never on the AmaViola so I don’t know what comparisons to make.
It looks nice & new. But I thought I would post the answers to the questions I had about the rooms...
We have an adjoining room with our kids, when we arrived one room was set up with the beds together, and the other with the beds apart—very nice to have it ready.
There are 4 European (220V) outlets I found, one on one side of the bed with 2 USB, one in bathroom (hairdryer in cabinet), one on desk, and one near chairs. There is 1 120V plug behind the TV.
There is a clothesline in the shower... it’s a dual head—a rain shower head, and a handheld.
Space is tight, I would say tighter than a DCL room, but seems efficient and sufficient. There is a small trundle bed underneath a bed in both rooms, but I honestly don’t know where it could be put.

I won’t speak to the programming as there are several reviews of that. I will post any other differences I find out about the ship.
Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• 80F58478-341A-4F3D-AB48-0D153F668CB3.jpeg
    80F58478-341A-4F3D-AB48-0D153F668CB3.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 78747CFB-50FA-4EBC-94CF-46CF2261F96F.jpeg
    78747CFB-50FA-4EBC-94CF-46CF2261F96F.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 7D8CF7E8-A05C-4528-9DD5-4F41A3AD3EDD.jpeg
    7D8CF7E8-A05C-4528-9DD5-4F41A3AD3EDD.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 54
  • FF06270F-5A56-40C6-A834-FCFF7F93B110.jpeg
    FF06270F-5A56-40C6-A834-FCFF7F93B110.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 52
I'm glad they kept the USB ports by the bed. That was a nice feature of the AmaViola.

Things learned after the first night... the pillows are very soft, DH asked for a firmer one. If you don’t like the duvet on the bed, they will change it out for sheet and blankets.
Only having USB’s on one side of the bed is generally hated by all couples on board... I guess there have been some interesting “debates” about who gets that side.
We tend to be quite warm on board, I don’t know how well the AC will keep up when it gets even warmer this summer.
We’re coming into Bratislava this morning, so it will be a long day of adventuring!

Things learned after the first night... the pillows are very soft, DH asked for a firmer one. If you don’t like the duvet on the bed, they will change it out for sheet and blankets.
Only having USB’s on one side of the bed is generally hated by all couples on board... I guess there have been some interesting “debates” about who gets that side.
We tend to be quite warm on board, I don’t know how well the AC will keep up when it gets even warmer this summer.
We’re coming into Bratislava this morning, so it will be a long day of adventuring!
A hint (based on the AMAViola), just to be on the safe side, make sure you close your blackout curtains before you leave for the day. The cabin will stay much cooler that way. I found in general the A/C was fine, but there were a couple of late afternoons where I came back to a rather stuffy room because the sun was streaming directly into my cabin.

Sayhello

Go on one of the their older ships with USB ports and you'll appreciate it!

A hint (based on the AMAViola), just to be on the safe side, make sure you close your blackout curtains before you leave for the day. The cabin will stay much cooler that way. I found in general the A/C was fine, but there were a couple of late afternoons where I came back to a rather stuffy room because the sun was streaming directly into my cabin.

A rookie mistake I made was leaving the sliding door open and stepping out of the room for a second. When i came back there was another ship there and someone could have easily hopped into my room!

A rookie mistake I made was leaving the sliding door open and stepping out of the room for a second. When i came back there was another ship there and someone could have easily hopped into my room!
:eek::eek::eek:

Having another boat right outside your window is a shock enough as it is!!

Sayhello

Other things I wish I had known...
There is a stand by the door with umbrellas, cane seats, and hiking poles. There are also umbrellas in every stateroom. So maybe you don’t need to bring one.
We only packed a total of 5 days of socks & underwear—I wish I had packed a few more days, the stress of laundry really got to me and it didn’t need to be that way. Also, it’s so humid it took a while for things to dry. They HIGHLY discourage putting anything outside to dry.
I brought the kids dress clothes, I didn’t need to. Ok, maybe 1 thing, but not 3. They didn’t want to have dinner with us anyway.
Bringing your choice of liquor/beer/wine on board is OK. They also have a free cocktail every afternoon...oops - our bar bill was higher than it needed to be.
ALL tips are already included. I don’t remember reading this anywhere... So I got a bit worried about having the right cash on hand—for nothing.
Soft sided luggage that will collapse and fit under the bed is your friend.
Bring a cheap/collapsible pair of earphones for the kids, the “QuietVox” units used on the tours have an uncomfortable ear piece.
The reception has a map of every town/stop and they are helpful with suggestions.
There is one wheelchair on board with saved us, since my mom was weaker that we thought. I wish I had rented a wheelchair in the states and brought it along.
We are exhausted, I can’t think of which tour I would have missed to have a nap, but we should have skipped something.

I think this staff is AMAZING, since it’s the first season on the AmaLea, the senior most Captain of the line gets to take her out and hand picks all the department heads. The crew knows each other very well, and work seamlessly. Count yourself lucky, and really try to have a visit with Captain Jan...he’s very happy to teach the children as we go through the lochs.
Oh and P.S. you really do need a PHD to figure out the lights.2A910A5A-28C8-4D91-AD7F-733FF291ECD9.jpegDF780077-1DF2-4B46-B6B2-BE676567BD96.jpeg

We only packed a total of 5 days of socks & underwear—I wish I had packed a few more days, the stress of laundry really got to me and it didn’t need to be that way. Also, it’s so humid it took a while for things to dry. They HIGHLY discourage putting anything outside to dry.

I know the cost will add up for a family but the onboard laundry charge for underwear is a buck or two. I was surprised at the price considering how expensive the hotel charges were.

I know the cost will add up for a family but the onboard laundry charge for underwear is a buck or two. I was surprised at the price considering how expensive the hotel charges were.
I found the laundry prices to be extremely reasonable, considering, and at least on the AMAViola, it was an excellent and timely service. Worth every penny.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter