Amanda & Josh's Wishes Wedding - 05.04.15 - SBP/Attic/UK Lochside - The End (Complete)

Seia

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I have been lurking these boards for months now, but I didn't want to start a PJ until I [finally] hit the 12 month mark and knew that we got all the locations we wanted. I was afraid I would jinx it somehow! Really, I'm so excited that I discovered this community and the Passporters book. It has really helped me maintain my sanity ever since we decided to have a Disney wedding.

Wedding Basics:
Date: Monday, May 4, 2015
Size: 34 guests (36 including bride and groom)
Welcome Luncheon: 12 pm Sunday (May 3), Ariel's, Beach Club
Ceremony: 10 am, Sea Breeze Point
Reception: 11 am-2:45 pm, The Attic, Boardwalk Inn
Dessert Party: 8-9:30 pm, United Kingdom Lochside, Epcot

Table of Contents

Planning Entries

About Us
Our Proposal
Early Wedding Plans/Color Inspiration
Save the Dates and My Wedding Band
Vendor List
Dress Shopping: The Honorable Mentions!
The Dress!!!
Floral Inspiration and Ideas
Cake Inspiration and Cake Tasting Selections
Preliminary Planning Session Trip Schedule & Menu Tasting Choices
Hair & Makeup Inspiration
Planning Session Trip Report:
Our Cake Design
Engagement Pictures
Welcome/Rehearsal Meal Menu and Plans
Dessert Party Menu
Ceremony Music Selections
Bridal Accessories and Wedding Day Fragrance
Magic Kingdom and Epcot Park Portrait Sessions: Confirmed!
Invitations
Our Engagement Pictures Blog Spotlight, Gift from DFTW, and Other Updates
Bridesmaid Dresses and Gifts
First Fitting and Guest Book
Reception Menu and Miscellaneous Updates
Odds & Ends, More Gifts
Pinterest Spam (Hairstyles) and Updates
Fitting Update, Clutch Options, Bridal Shower Invite
The Dapper Dans and Wedding Programs
Tentative Wedding Trip Plans and ADRs
Rehearsal Dress and Clutch Purchase
Etsy Purchase/Something Old, Bridesmaid Attire Updates, and First Look Locations
Bridal Party Floral
Bridal Shower
Floral BEO
Bridal Hanger and Departure... It's finally here!

Wedding Entries
We're Back! Just a Quick Update...
Glad I Did/Wish I Had
Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report:
Day 1: Travel, Nails, Pixie Dust at the Grand Floridian, and MK
Day 2: Family Arrivals, Move to Boardwalk, and MK with the Family
Day 3: Rehearsal, Welcome Lunch, and AK with Family
Day 4: Wedding Day Entries
Day 5: Breakfast (Too Early) & MK with MIL
Day 6, Part 1: Park Portraits (MK)
Day 6, Part 2: Park Portraits (Epcot)
Day 6, Part 3: AKL and Tired Evening in MK
Day 7: Star Wars Breakfast, HS, and Epcot
Day 8: Epcot, DVC Tour, Star Wars Dinner
Day 9: AK & Departure, A Few Random Photos
Sneak Peek Wedding Film
Spotlight on Bibbidi Bobbidi Bride Blog
Final BEO
Final Wedding Film from Trinity
Vendor Reviews & Magical Day Weddings Spotlight
The End

Last edited:
About Us

Y6JmLuDl.jpg

Downtown Disney in November 2013.

About the Bride

My name is Amanda, and I have wanted to be a Disney bride ever since I was a pre-teen. I am currently working on my M.A. in Higher Education Administration (while also working full-time – I’m a little glutton for punishment!) and will be finishing the same month as our wedding. I will actually miss my commencement because I’ll be on my honeymoon at the time. :rotfl2: I’m currently a program assistant within higher education/student services. Donald Duck is my favorite character, with Aurora as my favorite princess! (I think it’s because of how much I love napping! LOL!)

About the Groom

My fiancé, Josh, will be finishing his last semester of his undergrad studying Computer Science in December. He also works for a tech company based in Indianapolis. He does something with computers, software, and coding – I couldn’t really explain it even if I tried. :) Anytime I ask about his favorite Disney character, he says he can’t decide. His favorite Disney movie is The Emperor’s New Groove -- which is really underrated!
We have two cats, Kitty and Cheeto, and a sheltie named Lucky.

How We Met

Josh and I have been together for so long (going on 11 years) that most people don’t know or have forgotten the unique story of how we met. Although we have been dating since I was 16 and he was 18, we actually knew each other for many years before then. I’m showing my age just a bit here, but we actually met online in the early days of internet.

I actually met his friend Dustin (remember him! He’ll be an important part of the story later! :)) in an online chat room talking about video games and the anime show Sailormoon. After chatting with Dustin for several days, he introduced me to his friend (who also liked Sailormoon and video games). That friend, under the handle ‘Moonlight Knight’ (LOL), was Josh!
Josh and I became internet ‘pen pals’ so to speak, and talked for hours over ICQ and eventually on AIM.

He and I were both bullied a lot in elementary/middle school, so we really bonded over that. Honestly, I think meeting him really helped me get through those days. I was bullied mercilessly by kids because of my weight, my hair, my glasses, and because I was a little bit of a nerd. To this day, I still battle negative body image and low self-esteem. But, at the time, knowing that there was someone who felt the same way I did, even if they did live 1,000 miles away, really helped me.

The first time we met in person was when Josh invited me to attend his senior prom. We’ve been together ever since. There was a period when we had a long distance relationship, but thankfully that ended in 2005 when I started my undergrad. Josh and I have been through a lot together and have faced a deal of hardship already – mainly my struggle to find a job after graduating from college, which caused me to become extremely depressed. Our love for each other has always endured, and I have no doubt that it will last for the rest of our lives. :)

rbTIOcdl.jpg

It’s kind of cheesy, but this is actually one of my favorite photos of us! Taken at Epcot on our ‘engagement’ trip.

The Proposal
Josh has many, many strengths – he’s kind and sweet. But he is not necessarily romantic very often, so the proposal caught me off guard. Later, after I found out how much work went into keeping it a surprise, it really was very sweet. Of course, the proposal itself turns out to be a pretty funny story. Disney kind of raised my suspicions by delivering their dose of magic!

On Sunday, December 1, we had breakfast reservations at Cinderella’s Royal Table and I was really excited about it. That morning, I noticed that Josh seemed just a little antsy. He was really anxious to check in for our reservations at 9:45, even though our reservation wasn’t until 10:15. Now, here’s where I start getting suspicious. The receptionist switched out table tickets with the hostess and made a point to say “They’re having a table by the window.” That alone probably wouldn’t have made me think twice, but the hostess then proceeded to have us skip an entire line of people to take our picture with Cinderella. We NEVER get that kind of VIP treatment, so I knew something must be up! :rofl:

When I saw our amazing table with the park view, I started feeling a bit nervous. I had been hinting and hoping for a proposal for a long time, but wondering if it was about to happen made me antsy. Poor Josh – I may have ruined it for him. I even asked him, “Are you going to propose to me!?” He said no, and even swore on our cats, so that made me settle down. LOL! We had a nice meal, but toward the end, I noticed a guy pacing and lingering in the distance… that turned out to be the Photopass photographer waiting for the moment.

As soon as I saw our waiter walking to our table with the domed goblet, I kind of knew. The waiter revealed the glass slipper on a bed of rose petals, and I looked at Josh in disbelief. Then Josh said, “I’m sorry I lied!” Then he pulled the ring out of his pocket and proposed. Honestly, I can’t remember the exact wording, but it was something to the effect of, “You’ve always been my princess, and I want nothing more than for you to be mine forever. Will you marry me?” I nodded my head yes because I may or may not have been crying a little. The restaurant started applauding, but it was all a blur to me.
MKR4zjZl.jpg

uhg1hdel.jpg

rl5JaCNl.jpg

KKzcDchl.jpg

Josh went through a ton of work to plan the proposal, buy the ring, and keep it a secret. He created a throwaway email account for correspondence and even shipped the ring to our friend Dustin’s house and picked it up one afternoon. Also, he thought a ring box would be too bulky, so he planned his outfit ahead of time and kept the ring secured loose in a zipped pocket. Thankfully TSA didn’t confiscate it!

This picture doesn’t do the ring justice, but it is a cushion cut diamond with a few small diamonds in the band. I think it’s classic with just a touch of a vintage feel. I love it! It’s even prettier in person.

pMet42Yl.jpg

Okay, I think that’s all for now. Next post will include some of our preliminary plans and ideas!

Hello! I'm so excited to follow along!

Yay for working in higher ed! I'm also going to be starting my M.Ed soon (Spring 2015 semester - I didn't want to start this Fall with me taking 2 1/2 weeks off for our wedding!) so it's exciting to see you're almost done! What office do you work in? I'm in undergraduate admission.

Your proposal is so sweet and it's adorable the lengths he went to keep it secret. You guys are so cute. I can't wait to read more!

Hello! I'm so excited to follow along!

Yay for working in higher ed! I'm also going to be starting my M.Ed soon (Spring 2015 semester - I didn't want to start this Fall with me taking 2 1/2 weeks off for our wedding!) so it's exciting to see you're almost done! What office do you work in? I'm in undergraduate admission.

Your proposal is so sweet and it's adorable the lengths he went to keep it secret. You guys are so cute. I can't wait to read more!

Thank you for the warm welcome! :goodvibes

I work in undergraduate student services -- Academic Advising and Study Abroad, specifically. It's always nice to meet others working in higher ed! :) I love it. It may help that I work for my alma mater, but I think working in higher ed is very rewarding with seldom a dull moment.

Hello :goodvibes Congrats on your engagement the way your DF did it is so sweet and cute its funny how you know but your not 100% sure like no this can't be happening but I think that makes it even better! Can't wait to follow along our weddings are in the same month so yeyy for that have you picked themes or colors yet?

Melissa

Wedding Plans

As we first started planning our wedding, I went back and forth with what I really wanted. Josh and I are paying for the wedding ourselves, so I initially ruled out a Disney wedding even though it’s what I really wanted. We had a meeting with a wedding planner here and discussed getting married on the campus of our alma mater, and I’m sure it would have been a lovely wedding. But I couldn’t bring myself to submit the deposit, for a number of reasons.

Since the beginning of our engagement, there has been some drama on my family’s side. I’ll try not to discuss it too much in here, but basically it boils down to this. My immediate family all lives in Texas. They wanted us to get married in Texas, and some of them felt us getting married here was choosing one side over the other. Finally, after giving it a long look and working the numbers in Excel, we decided to have the Disney wedding like I truly wanted all along! That way, it’s a true "destination wedding" and requires everyone to travel if they want to attend.

I immediately knew I wanted to have the ceremony at Sea Breeze Point. I’ve always wanted an outdoor wedding, and I was in love the first time I saw a picture of it. Choosing our reception location was a little tougher. I really love Atlantic Dance Hall and think it would be such a blast to have a reception there – and how fun to have your name on the marquee board! But after a lot of thought, Josh and I decided we would only invite our immediate families and closest friends. Therefore, we’re only expecting 30-35 guests total, which is just too small for ADH.

After seeing some planning journals here that used the Attic, I was hooked! I love how cozy and intimate it seems, and that it doesn’t need much decoration. My one and only concern is how to decide who sits inside and who sits outside. Hopefully our planner will just let us have open seating! LOL

Initially I wanted a garden theme, with the colors pink and green, but after many hours on Pinterest and talking to my bridesmaid I changed my mind. LOL! I’m envisioning a laid-back nautical theme and our colors are going to be pink and navy. Here are a few inspiration pictures I’ve found:

qXo29WAl.jpg

qE5hqyTl.jpg

eXSk4TXl.jpg

The only thing I need to decide is what color suits and ties the guys will wear. I don’t really care for navy suits – my mind always goes to that scene from Father of the Bride – "Armani doesn’t make a blue tuxedo." LOL. I really want black suits, but am not sure how it will look with navy bridesmaid dresses.

In terms of specifics, I definitely want at least Donald to make an appearance at the wedding. :) We may end up adding a second character, too. I also really want Cinderella’s coach, but I just don’t think we can justify the cost. I also like the idea of a caricaturist to provide favors/entertainment for our guests. I really would like a photobooth, but know that probably couldn’t happen in the Attic. We also plan to do park portraits in Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but unfortunately we won’t be able to schedule that for a long time since we aren’t using Disney photography.

Photography

We have booked a photographer, Michael Meeks. Photography is one of the most important wedding priorities for me, so I really wanted someone creative, fun, and easy to get along with. We actually booked Michael before we were at the 12 month mark with Disney, but I knew I wanted him to shoot our wedding and didn't want to risk him booking up!

It works out perfectly. He is going to shoot our engagement photos whenever we go down for our planning session, too.

Last edited:

I have some major updates. First of all, we've scheduled our planning session and tasting for Friday, October 10! I'm so excited. This will be our first WDW trip at that time of year, so we're going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party that Thursday. I really want to go in costume. I'd really like to go as a cute version of Donald (although I guess it would probably make more sense if I went as Daisy so that Josh could be Donald... :lmao:) but sadly, I have absolutely no skill with making anything myself!

Unfortunately, Patricia LeJeune wasn't available for my wedding day, so I started looking at other vendors. About Face seems great and has some beautiful work, but I just couldn't justify the difference in price, so I have booked Beaute Speciale. I booked them for my wedding day and also for a trial in October before our engagement pictures. Initially, I was really disappointed but so far all of my contact with Beaute has been great. The only issue is that I have no idea when to book them for my Magic Kingdom/Epcot shoot since that hasn't even been tentatively scheduled yet.

So we now have photography and cosmetology booked. I really want to use outside videography too (I still kind of have my heart set on Trinity Wedding Cinema), but I don't think we can fit it into our budget while still meeting all of our minimums. So I think we're going to go with Disney's ceremony package, but it's SO expensive just for ceremony coverage! I also hate the thought of our first dance not being recorded. :( Hopefully one of our guests can record it on their phone, at the least.

In other news, we have ordered our Save the Dates! They are having a great special at Wedding Paper Divas at the moment, if anyone is interested. We will probably send them out in August or September, which would be about 9 months before the wedding. That seems kind of early, but I would rather give plenty of notice. Here is a digital version of our card, so obviously the printed quality is much higher:

W2an8Mzl.png

I also ordered my matching wedding band because they were having some great deals at Blue Nile on wedding rings. I couldn't resist sneaking a peak (and trying it on!) -- it's so pretty! I can't wait to wear it.

4Y7fDK2l.jpg

On the topic of wedding bands, does anyone have any experience with tungsten carbide? I am debating whether or not to stick with classic white gold for Josh's band or go with tungsten. I have heard tungsten is more durable, but can't be re-sized so I'm kind of torn.

Hopefully my next update will be the announcement of who our wedding planner is, officially. Our consultant said they'd be introducing themselves to us soon and that was over a week ago. I'm sure that they are very busy, though – it is prime wedding season! I'm just anxious to find out who they are!

First of all, the story about how you and your fiancé met, bonded and fell in love is just too cute! I saw that you were considering the Attic for your reception...my guest count is going to be around 30-35 too so I also considered the Attic but from the pictures I couldn't tell if there would be room to accommodate a DJ and a dance floor. Do you know if there is? Congratulations and good luck with everything!

On the topic of wedding bands, does anyone have any experience with tungsten carbide? I am debating whether or not to stick with classic white gold for Josh's band or go with tungsten. I have heard tungsten is more durable, but can't be re-sized so I'm kind torn.
I bought my now fiancé a promise ring made of tungsten carbide back wen we were in high school when his sterling silver one broke. He has had it ever since and loves it. He feels a lot safer knowing that he doesn't have to worry about something happening to it while he's working, and said that he thinks it looks more "manly" since it's not so shiny (that's just a matter of opinion of course). We looked at wedding bands the other day and when he picked another tungsten ring, the saleswoman did inform us that the ring is not resizable, so that's something to consider. However she did also set to rest the myth that these rings cannot be cut through, which I know keeps a lot of people from buying them in fear of a situation in which they would need to get the ring off and couldn't. There is special emergency blades that can cut through the ring if need be, so that's kind of a relief.

First of all, you'll be in WDW during my wedding! We're arriving on October 9th, so I just got terribly excited haha.

I adore your colors, they fit so well together and will look beautiful with both of the venues you've selected. And how exciting to get your vendors nailed down!

Can't wait to hear more :goodvibes It took us a week to hear from our planner, so hopefully you won't have to wait that long.

Also, he thought a ring box would be too bulky, so he planned his outfit ahead of time and kept the ring secured loose in a zipped pocket. Thankfully TSA didn’t confiscate it!

I WISH I THOUGHT OF THAT! He really did do a great job of planning it out, I thought I'd done well until the day arrived and just before we left I had to try and figure out how I was going to smuggle the ring/box into the park without giving it away. Such a wonderful story overall (loved the ICQ callout, I remember those days!) and how nice to have the moment captured that way.

Congratulations on getting the date and locations you wanted as well! I know how nerve wracking that can be and don't blame you for not wanting to jinx it. You're off to a great start booking vendors and having save the dates ordered within your first month of having the date secured. Definitely a good idea getting save the dates out a little early, being a destination wedding I'm sure people will appreciate the extra notice - even if they get too excited right away and don't want to wait 9 more months!

I WISH I THOUGHT OF THAT! He really did do a great job of planning it out, I thought I'd done well until the day arrived and just before we left I had to try and figure out how I was going to smuggle the ring/box into the park without giving it away. Such a wonderful story overall (loved the ICQ callout, I remember those days!) and how nice to have the moment captured that way.

Congratulations on getting the date and locations you wanted as well! I know how nerve wracking that can be and don't blame you for not wanting to jinx it. You're off to a great start booking vendors and having save the dates ordered within your first month of having the date secured. Definitely a good idea getting save the dates out a little early, being a destination wedding I'm sure people will appreciate the extra notice - even if they get too excited right away and don't want to wait 9 more months!

Thank you! :goodvibes I love meeting someone else who knows what ICQ is... I'm usually met with blank stares! LOL! I feel pretty good about all the progress we've made on planning so far, but it's making me more impatient to wait 11 more months!

First of all, you'll be in WDW during my wedding! We're arriving on October 9th, so I just got terribly excited haha.

I adore your colors, they fit so well together and will look beautiful with both of the venues you've selected. And how exciting to get your vendors nailed down!

Can't wait to hear more :goodvibes It took us a week to hear from our planner, so hopefully you won't have to wait that long.

Oh!! How exciting! :) If you need any help filling your room block, let me know. They haven't announced any AP holder discounts for that week yet.

First of all, the story about how you and your fiancé met, bonded and fell in love is just too cute! I saw that you were considering the Attic for your reception...my guest count is going to be around 30-35 too so I also considered the Attic but from the pictures I couldn't tell if there would be room to accommodate a DJ and a dance floor. Do you know if there is? Congratulations and good luck with everything!

Thanks! And as for the Attic, I really don't think it could accommodate a DJ. I know amplified sound isn't permitted anyway. We were told there would be enough room for us to have a first dance as well as a father/daughter mother/son dance, but not really a 'dance floor' for guests. I'm not sure if you've seen this video tour of the Attic, but I found it very helpful! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDIC0UhBKNg

So here is our vendor list, which is currently still a work in progress. I will edit this post as we finalize our plans. After the wedding, I will also post reviews.

DFTW Coordinator: Diane Bowen. I hadn't talked to many brides who'd had her as a planner, but our experience has been great so far.

Photographer: Michael Meeks. We've had the opportunity to meet with him and talk in length. Everything has been very positive so far. :)

Videographer: Trinity Wedding Cinema. Initially, we were going to use Disney for video, but we're only paying a little more and getting coverage for getting ready, ceremony, AND reception as opposed to ceremony only with Disney. I talked to David, the owner, on the phone for 45 minutes during the initial call. He's very nice and answered all of my questions. Plus, their videos are so beautiful. Confession time -- I love to watch all of their sneak peeks they post on Facebook, and I always cry. I have problems. LOL

Hair and Makeup: Beaute Speciale. For my trial/engagement pictures, wedding day (for my mom, bridesmaids, and me), and MK/Epcot shoot.

Floral: Heather Sparby from Disney Floral for everything but bridesmaid bouquets and groomsmen boutonnieres.

Officiant: Our good friend Dustin will be our officiant. It was his idea, and he seems really excited about it. It seems fitting, since he is the one who introduced Josh and me.

Wedding Gown and Accessories: Update: dress, veil, and headpiece were all from David's Bridal. Honora pearls were my something borrowed. Earrings were from Macy's (Carolee brand). Shoes were from the Toms bridal collection. Clutch was from Charming Charlie.

TBD. Everyone is pressuring me about this one, but it seems so soon! I will seriously begin shopping for my dress at the end of summer. I have already begun looking for ideas and styles I like. In terms of shoes, all I know is that I want something comfortable. Jewelry and headpiece will depend on the dress.

Last edited:
Nice vendor roundup! I'm really glad you're using Trinity - I also watch their sneak peeks and cry! - and your communication with them has definitely made me feel more confident about using them myself.

Don't worry about the dress! People will just find another thing to pressure you on after, I promise :lmao: Take your time looking and enjoy it!

I had been putting off dress shopping on purpose, honestly. I was nervous about not looking good in any of the dresses and not losing enough weight yet. But I decided to at least start looking, even if I didn't find anything yet, to get some ideas of what styles worked best. My family lives far away, so I went a non-traditional route and shopped with the Best Man, who is one of my closest guy friends.

Honestly, it worked out great! He was honest and had some good insights. He also took some good pictures. I did find "the one," but I'm going to post that in a separate entry. Here are some of the honorable mentions. :)

bMrnBWjl.jpg

This was a lovely dress, and I could have gotten it for a really good price. The fit was great too. It just didn't give me that special feeling.

uyYm5Bpl.jpg

This really was a beautiful dress! It was my close second choice.

XDZFYUtl.jpg

Pretty, but not really memorable to me.

qhz0Kxsl.jpg

I really did like this one, but it had a big bow in the back that bothered me. I'm sure it could have been removed, but still.

I wish I had better quality pictures, but I didn't think about it when I went back to try it on a second time and bought the dress. The dress I tried on here is in ivory, but I ordered it in white. This one was also a size too big. I don't have a picture of the dress when it was clipped in back, but it helped give a lot more definition to my waist.

8H0zL7Ul.jpg

I love the jeweled bodice and lace detailing!

LDJZEIyl.jpg

The back is one of the best parts of the dress! They showed me some bustle options, but I can't decide which I like best.

vEwVWhzl.jpg

This is the veil I ended up choosing. Originally, I didn't plan to wear a veil. But once I put one on, I knew I had to have one! Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it with the headpiece I bought. :(

T7EcwGWl.jpg

Another view.

5f9Mdjdl.jpg

Trying on a cathedral veil. It was lovely, but felt like too much with the dress.

Llx7fKCl.jpg

Here's the headpiece I bought. It's much prettier than it looks in this picture!

I am SO happy with my decision! My family and friends were giving mixed opinions, and I think some of them preferred the beaded gown or the belted dress from above, but this one just made me feel so special while I was wearing it. :goodvibes Looking at these pictures now really solidifies it even more for me! I love it!

So happy to hear you had a good experience!:goodvibes I love the dress you picked - it's really gorgeous on you, and you look so happy!:thumbsup2

So happy to hear you had a good experience!:goodvibes I love the dress you picked - it's really gorgeous on you, and you look so happy!:thumbsup2

Thank you! I was pretty nervous about it at first, but got some fabulous advice and feedback from you and the other ladies. :goodvibes I know I picked the right dress because I feel giddy and excited every time I see a picture of it. Haha. :)

Especially in that last picture you can see how happy your dress makes you!! You look stunning in it and I love your headpiece as well. Perfect for a Disney wedding :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!