Amps needed question

Uncledave54

Earning My Ears
Ok all you RV meisters, settle a bet for us.

We have a Forest River 21frbs travel trailer.
Do we have to have 50 amp service, or will 30 suffice.

Loser has to be on tank dump duty for the first week of our trip in October.

For most RVs, 50 amp is only needed if you are running 2 A/Cs. I have seen some newer large TTs and 5ers with single A/C and a 50 amp cord. I suspect it is easier for the factory to build to one 50 amp spec since most people go with the 2nd A/C on the larger units.

For a 21frbs, I would think 1 A/C would probably do depending on where you live and camp.

Although it is possible to go over 30 amps with a single A/C. With my old 5er, the A/C, microwave and water heater on electric would do it.

j

We have been at The Fort in January 3 times now and have gone from Heat one day to A/C the next.
If you have 50 amp available to use I would go with it. The more appliances you use the more power you draw

What service does your TT have. I'm guessing, based on the size, it has 30 amp service. No way to make it 50 amp. Even if you use an adapter to plug your cord into a 50 amp outlet, the trailer will only pull 1 "leg" of the plug. Those of us with 50 amp service can run on a 30 amp connection with an adapter. I do that in my driveway. The only thing that doesn't work is the 2nd A/C.

Look inside of the breaker box. There will be a main breaker, just like a house. The number on that is the highest amperage the trailer can use before it trips.

j

Ok all you RV meisters, settle a bet for us.

We have a Forest River 21frbs travel trailer.
Do we have to have 50 amp service, or will 30 suffice.

Loser has to be on tank dump duty for the first week of our trip in October.

We have never needed 50 amp except when we run both AC's with another appliance like microwave or coffee pot. Our AC's can alternate so usually no issues. We take whatever is available.

Our previous trailer was 50a, we carried a 30a cord with us that we used 90% of the time because it was lighter and easier to handle than the 50a. We ran the trailer regularly off a 20a plug in our 2200w generator during rest stops.

DW and I would bus to EPCOT and then a nice leisurely walk to CMC then back to EPCOT to walk off the calories and bus back.
For most RVs, 50 amp is only needed if you are running 2 A/Cs. I have seen some newer large TTs and 5ers with single A/C and a 50 amp cord. I suspect it is easier for the factory to build to one 50 amp spec since most people go with the 2nd A/C on the larger units.

For a 21frbs, I would think 1 A/C would probably do depending on where you live and camp.

Although it is possible to go over 30 amps with a single A/C. With my old 5er, the A/C, microwave and water heater on electric would do it.

j
What service does your TT have. I'm guessing, based on the size, it has 30 amp service. No way to make it 50 amp. Even if you use an adapter to plug your cord into a 50 amp outlet, the trailer will only pull 1 "leg" of the plug. Those of us with 50 amp service can run on a 30 amp connection with an adapter. I do that in my driveway. The only thing that doesn't work is the 2nd A/C.

Look inside of the breaker box. There will be a main breaker, just like a house. The number on that is the highest amperage the trailer can use before it trips.

j
Just in case the 30 amp isn't working at a CG we have one of these.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Surge-Gu...=sem&msclkid=b0d8c66bc3571b34121e98a18c0ac805We have had to use it quite a few times. Or sometimes we just needed a few more inches to reach the electric box.
We have never needed 50 amp except when we run both AC's with another appliance like microwave or coffee pot. Our AC's can alternate so usually no issues. We take whatever is available.
Our previous trailer was 50a, we carried a 30a cord with us that we used 90% of the time because it was lighter and easier to handle than the 50a. We ran the trailer regularly off a 20a plug in our 2200w generator during rest stops.
So basically, if i understand everybody correctly, seeing that i have only one A/C, 30 amp service should be all i need.

Thanks everybody.....

Yup, 30 amp is what you have. As stated get an adaptor in case the 30 amp pedestal is broken. Most all campsites with 30 amp also have a reguler 20 amp 110 hook up. So , get a 30 amp to 110 . If you want to you can also.get the 30 amp to 50 amp hook up also. They also make one that has them all together. Your moat likely to use the 30 amp to 20 amp 110 cord. I use it at home. If this is your new TT, and your fist time camping, its also good to have a 30 amp extention cord. Some of the hook ups aren't in the best spots. Some campgrounds even share electrical pedistals. Depends on where in the USA you go and camp.

Make sure you get a surge protector. I have seen people decide to rewire an electrical pedestal to fit their needs. It protects all the electronics in your trailer. If you have 30 amp, get one for that.

Make sure you get a surge protector. I have seen people decide to rewire an electrical pedestal to fit their needs. It protects all the electronics in your trailer.
Good advice and another suggestion: Learn about the difference between a Surge Protector and an EMS (Electrical Management System) and decide which is right for you. We have a Progressive EMS which protects our RV investment not only from surges but qualifies power parameters and shuts down in various situations like low and high voltage. It will also protect you from open neutral and the deadly open ground which we've encountered numerous times in our travels. Either way, something is better than nothing and cheap insurance.

Good advice and another suggestion: Learn about the difference between a Surge Protector and an EMS (Electrical Management System) and decide which is right for you. We have a Progressive EMS which protects our RV investment not only from surges but qualifies power parameters and shuts down in various situations like low and high voltage. It will also protect you from open neutral and the deadly open ground which we've encountered numerous times in our travels. Either way, something is better than nothing and cheap insurance.
Ok, this! Ours has shut itself down more than once as a result of brownouts and under-voltage situations. EMS is really the only way to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!