Anaheim/LA

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
Currently planning a 12-day, 11-night trip down PCH. We're starting in San Fran, making our way down, then Anaheim, LA, and finishing in San Diego.

Currently, I have four days set aside for Anaheim/LA: 2 days at Disneyland; 2 days in Los Angeles — tentatively planning to stay in Anaheim. We're going to be going hotel to hotel up until this point, so my thinking was "let's stay somewhere for four nights".

I'm told this is a mistake, and believe it given the traffic.

So here's the thing...

I'd like to go to Disneyland December 28th and 29th. Having gone to DW for Xmas and NYE so many times in the past, I know how crowded it could be for NYE. Then on the 30th and 31st, we'll do LA.

We would like to do the following:
- Warner Bros Studio tour
- Santa Monica
- Griffith Observatory
- Coffee at Ace Hotel (recommended from friend)
- Touristy food spots: Pink's, the Donut spot
- Tacos at Giusado's (recommendation from friend)

Based on this... should we do 2 days in LA, then 2 days in Anaheim? I don't see us spending a ton of time at the beach, but wouldn't mind being near it, if that helps. We're from NY and totally lost as to what areas are safe, etc. Homeless people don't bother me (I work in NYC), but traveling with both my mom and sister, I'd prefer to stay in a safe area.

Any tips for where to stay in LA?

Somewhere near Universal Hollywood would be a good location. There are a couple good hotels there, and as a bonus you can check out City Walk. So, Universal City area, is what it's called.

I would usually say definitely stay in LA for the LA stuff, but you're going over New Year's so all the hotels are going to be crazy expensive. I don't know if Anaheim will be any better though. With your list of activities, you'll be all over the city, so stay where you can find a decent hotel for a not too ridiculous price. When we stay in LA we either stay at the Loew's Hollywood, which is great if you want to see the Hollywood sights, or the Omni downtown (because they have great weekend rates on Hotwire). Downtown is where you'll be for the Ace Hotel and maybe Giusado's (depending on what location you want to visit). Parking at the downtown hotels is ridiculous ($30-60/night) but we park at Pershing Square where it's about $15/night. Burbank also has some nice hotels and would be a convenient location for you. I'm not sure I'd stay in Universal City if you're not planning on going to Universal, as it's a little out of the way for your desired locations and will be crazy for New Year's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter