And here I thought I was the only one

BachataMan

Registered
I'm what you call a full-time solo traveler. I finally got an annual pass on my birthday on January 16th this year thinking I was only going to go a few times a year. I mean, I'm at that age where theme parks, or at least rides at a theme park, aren't the most appealing thing to me but I missed going to Disney. Before this year the last time I went to a Disney park was Magic Kingdom for Grad Nite back in 2003 for my HS graduation. Last time I was at Epcot was 2000 for a high school field trip, and last time I went to Hollywood Studios was back when it was still called MGM Studios in 1994. I never went to Animal Kingdom. After following DIS Unplugged and a bunch of other Disney-related groups, I instantly became hooked and started going every weekend, sometimes multiple times per week. I became a Disney World Junkie (literally).

But anyways I love it, and overall I prefer to go solo because I get to do what I want and I operate on my own schedule. I get on rides faster, I don't have to worry about people who want to bring all their belongings into the park, I don't have to constantly wait for people going to the bathroom or worry about someone getting lost in the crowds or having to stop because someone needs to rest, etc. Also, I can choose where to eat. Usually when you're in a group of people, you have to eat where the group agrees to eat, and usually it's going to be some quick service as a lot of people don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on dinner. Best yet, I like to do stuff that a lot of people I normally hang out with don't like doing. I'm in that age range (20s to 30s) that mainly wants to ride Space Mountain and Test Track 20 times or drink around the world at Epcot and thinks going on It's a Small World or going to meet Rapunzel at Princess Fairytale Hall is "stupid and for kids".

Of course it's best to hang out with people who are just as passionate about Disney as you are, and that's what groups like the DIS and other Disney groups out there are for. I haven't posted much on this forum because all my attention is on Facebook, but I plan on becoming more of an active member since I always listen to the DIS Daily Fix and DIS Unplugged (Even though I disagree on a lot of their restaurant reviews).

I'm what you call a full-time solo traveler. I finally got an annual pass on my birthday on January 16th this year thinking I was only going to go a few times a year. I mean, I'm at that age where theme parks, or at least rides at a theme park, aren't the most appealing thing to me but I missed going to Disney. Before this year the last time I went to a Disney park was Magic Kingdom for Grad Nite back in 2003 for my HS graduation. Last time I was at Epcot was 2000 for a high school field trip, and last time I went to Hollywood Studios was back when it was still called MGM Studios in 1994. I never went to Animal Kingdom. After following DIS Unplugged and a bunch of other Disney-related groups, I instantly became hooked and started going every weekend, sometimes multiple times per week. I became a Disney World Junkie (literally).

But anyways I love it, and overall I prefer to go solo because I get to do what I want and I operate on my own schedule. I get on rides faster, I don't have to worry about people who want to bring all their belongings into the park, I don't have to constantly wait for people going to the bathroom or worry about someone getting lost in the crowds or having to stop because someone needs to rest, etc. Also, I can choose where to eat. Usually when you're in a group of people, you have to eat where the group agrees to eat, and usually it's going to be some quick service as a lot of people don't want to spend a whole bunch of money on dinner. Best yet, I like to do stuff that a lot of people I normally hang out with don't like doing. I'm in that age range (20s to 30s) that mainly wants to ride Space Mountain and Test Track 20 times or drink around the world at Epcot and thinks going on It's a Small World or going to meet Rapunzel at Princess Fairytale Hall is "stupid and for kids".

Of course it's best to hang out with people who are just as passionate about Disney as you are, and that's what groups like the DIS and other Disney groups out there are for. I haven't posted much on this forum because all my attention is on Facebook, but I plan on becoming more of an active member since I always listen to the DIS Daily Fix and DIS Unplugged (Even though I disagree on a lot of their restaurant reviews).

I travel solo for a lot of the same reasons, but I actually love theme park rides. I will be making my second trip to Disney next month, with the first having been to the water parks(Blizzard Beach specifically) in May. Of course, in a lot of ways I am a big kid(and being an actor myself, playing make believe is kind of my reason for living). I will have a friend with me for a couple of days, so I have to fit her into my plans for Magic Kingdom, but I won't mind with it being my first visit.

I feel the same way. I do what I want, when I want. Love it. I am looking forward to going other places solo now.

I feel the same way. I do what I want, when I want. Love it. I am looking forward to going other places solo now.
I'm from NY, specifically Long Island, and I have gone solo a number of times since turning 30...I am now 40. Between those years I've dated and took a gf with me and we had a great time. However, my solo trips have been very memorable and you can do whatever is you feel like doing. My favorite resort to stay at is CSR...absolutely love it as a single male. It is actually a good adult moderate resort.

I'm from NY, specifically Long Island, and I have gone solo a number of times since turning 30...I am now 40. Between those years I've dated and took a gf with me and we had a great time. However, my solo trips have been very memorable and you can do whatever is you feel like doing. My favorite resort to stay at is CSR...absolutely love it as a single male. It is actually a good adult moderate resort.

I am a POFQ die hard. It was actually a few of the DISers here that made realize I wanted to do something more DISNEY-esque (not to mention saving money in the process!). And I absolutely loved POP in 2015. But at some point (maybe 2020-21 for the big 50 celebration - I was at Disney 25) - I am going to do a special return to my beloved POFQ. In 2015 I made a point to catch the boat there from Disney Springs. Love seeing it again. It's a very lovely and quiet resort - with the best bus service! I may return before the 2020 event - even if just for a few days. I may get into a habit of putting away for the next trip as soon as I return from the current trip. Put my 200 down and then I will have a year to put a hundred here, a hundred there. Before you know it I'll be done. just might do it. No more than 4-5 days. But for the 2020 event... definitely going to want a minimum of 10 days!

I'm a solo traveler 90% of the time. My honey hates to travel, hates crowds and will only eat meat and prefers it fried. My son is grown and seems to think he should have his own life but when he can get away from school/work he will travel with me. My solo trips started out a just long weekends to get away from honey and my son so I didn't kill them and then sort of morphed into important me time. Disney is my go to solo place, I go at least once a year and lately, 2 or 3 times a year. Sadly those trips may become less frequent as my boss has decided that at 70 it might be time for him to retire, thus semi-retiring me before I was ready. At 60 I just don't want to start over in a new job so my hours have been cut down to about 1/4 time, which thankfully I'm debt free so will cover my health insurance and little things like my cell phone but won't allow for twice yearly WDW trips. At least not the way I'm used to doing them which is staying in the Epcot resorts.

I'm a solo traveler 90% of the time. My honey hates to travel, hates crowds and will only eat meat and prefers it fried. My son is grown and seems to think he should have his own life but when he can get away from school/work he will travel with me. My solo trips started out a just long weekends to get away from honey and my son so I didn't kill them and then sort of morphed into important me time. Disney is my go to solo place, I go at least once a year and lately, 2 or 3 times a year. Sadly those trips may become less frequent as my boss has decided that at 70 it might be time for him to retire, thus semi-retiring me before I was ready. At 60 I just don't want to start over in a new job so my hours have been cut down to about 1/4 time, which thankfully I'm debt free so will cover my health insurance and little things like my cell phone but won't allow for twice yearly WDW trips. At least not the way I'm used to doing them which is staying in the Epcot resorts.

Move to Florida and get on with Disney maybe? Sometimes you just need to scale back expectations a little to make things work.

Move to Florida and get on with Disney maybe? Sometimes you just need to scale back expectations a little to make things work.

My son and I were just discussing that last week while we were at Disney. I could actually live off what I would make and he is retired Navy so he could too but unfortunately, honey is a Georgia boy born and bred and won't leave the state no matter how much I beg. I even tried the let's buy a RV and when we aren't travelling we can buy some land in South Georgia where he is from (and where I hate it) and live there. No go. Sad thing is he is an IT consultant and works out of our house so he can work anywhere there is internet. About 4 days a year he actually has to go to clients, most here in Georgia, one with offices in AL - TN - GA and Fl.

My son and I were just discussing that last week while we were at Disney. I could actually live off what I would make and he is retired Navy so he could too but unfortunately, honey is a Georgia boy born and bred and won't leave the state no matter how much I beg. I even tried the let's buy a RV and when we aren't travelling we can buy some land in South Georgia where he is from (and where I hate it) and live there. No go. Sad thing is he is an IT consultant and works out of our house so he can work anywhere there is internet. About 4 days a year he actually has to go to clients, most here in Georgia, one with offices in AL - TN - GA and Fl.

I know the type. Most people in my area of Virginia won't leave this area. I call it a black hole. It even has the time dilation effect. We are stuck in the 50s here. I personally can't wait to leave town, but when I do, I will be buying a condo/apartment rather than rent. Cheaper.

I know the type. Most people in my area of Virginia won't leave this area. I call it a black hole. It even has the time dilation effect. We are stuck in the 50s here. I personally can't wait to leave town, but when I do, I will be buying a condo/apartment rather than rent. Cheaper.
I always swear the University of Georgia is a cult, people come here to go to school and just never leave. I would leave in a heartbeat, my family are Georgia people from way back but we all have wander lust. Until I had my son, I had never lived anywhere longer than 4 years my entire life just because there was always another job in an another town/state/country that intrigued my parents.

Could you pick up a part time job somewhere to supplement your income? Mall of GA has a Disney Store but that maybe to far away.

I can get another part time job to supplement the little income I'll be getting from my current job but I was planning on cutting my hours at this job down to 3 days a week before he decided to go virtual so the thought of getting in the car and driving to Atlanta, nope, not going to happen. I can get a job here as well but I was really looking forward to semi-retirement, just wasn't ready for it to happen so soon and be so drastic. I have savings and have a 401K and had already moved part of it into another place so I have funds I can supplement until I reach social security age which is 6 years and still have enough in my IRA to supplement that if needed. Funny, my ss will actually be twice as much as I'll be making by working until I reach age. Honey keeps telling me he will pay my health insurance and few expenses but I have supported myself, my parents and my son since I was 14 so having someone else totally support me is out of the question. I'll just have to change my life style, I refuse to totally give up Disney, it has gotten me and my son through some pretty rough times. I was a single mom until he was about 13 or 14 and we went to Disney every other year back then because it took me two years to save enough for us to go. He got permanent nerve damage in his spinal cord while in the Navy and has severe PTSD and for the first few years after all that, WDW was literally the only time I saw him smile, he is coping better now but even now he rarely laughs out loud except for at WDW. As the commercial says, that is priceless.

I was thinking Disney Store because I believe that they get passes to the parks and discounts as part of their benefits.

Same exact issue with my husband. He's born & raised here in GA, is also an IT consultant and travels 4 days a week (yep WEEK) so when he says he loves living here, I shoot back that he doesn't live here, I do! And I hate it. I told him we're moving next year (so I can at least live somewhere I'll like) or I need him to figure out a way to work in town, because I'm here alone all the dang time. It's part of the reason I travel solo to Disney without him. :(

Same exact issue with my husband. He's born & raised here in GA, is also an IT consultant and travels 4 days a week (yep WEEK) so when he says he loves living here, I shoot back that he doesn't live here, I do! And I hate it. I told him we're moving next year (so I can at least live somewhere I'll like) or I need him to figure out a way to work in town, because I'm here alone all the dang time. It's part of the reason I travel solo to Disney without him. :(

Georgia boys, what are you going to do. I don't hate Georgia, as I said my family on both sides are from here way back to the 1700s, I just dislike this town and area. I went to high school in New Mexico and love it there and would move back in a heartbeat but no way is honey going to the southwest. I also love the coast since we are divers and you would think I could get him there but nope. I think for him it's the security of the known, He left south Georgia to come to UGA and never looked back. I guess I'm lucky he doesn't want to move back to Baxley.

loves to dive, you mentioned wanderlust...I have that times ten. Must be my Sinti(German Roma) blood. I'm lucky if I can stay in one place a year without going somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter