And here is where you write in my tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISNEY1975

DIS Veteran
To note, this is NOT a debate re: tipping. IMO, tipping is required.

Just back from a 2 week Disney vacation. We ate at 22 TS restaurants. Just an FYI, for those who may not know, the "check" is worked differently than I had ever seen on previous trips.

You will get your check/bill and be asked to add the tip BEFORE you make your payment via CC/Room Charge (cash you can leave after, but must write cash in the tip line). All wait staff specifically told me as soon as I added the tip, they would be back to process payment/get signature.

At Trattoria al Forno, our waitress went as far as putting the bill in front of me, then drawing a circle around where I needed to add her tip. They have gotten pretty pushy about it, not that I wouldnt tip, but it was borderline insulting for the constant speeches at the end of the meal, especially having to hear it 22 times.

Interesting! I wonder why they made this change? Perhaps issues with tips being “adjusted” afterward guest has signed?

It isn't how most restaurants work now, but I bet many are moving in that direction. My guess was that it was a matter of efficiency. As things are now, at the end of the meal there are three touches for every ticket - when the check is first printed for the patron, when the credit card is run, and when the final adjustment is made to include the tip. This change combines the last two touches and that will make the process more efficient. It also means that the server is done as soon as the credit card is returned - they can have someone else bus and clean tables whenever patrons leave, and the server can focus on the patrons who are still eating and my be looking for assistance.

I understand how they got there, but it's just tacky as heck.

I wonder if due to the large amounts of people from country's that don't tip they feel they need to point out the tipping? I agree it's super tacky no matter what the reason for this new approach.

Honestly, if they want to minimize interaction times with checking out, they should go with the table top kiosks. It accomplishes the same thing without the recipient of the tip needing to say "this is where you put my tip".

I'm going to tip anyways, so doesn't bother me to have them explain a new procedure, even more than once. :)

Honestly, if they want to minimize interaction times with checking out, they should go with the table top kiosks. It accomplishes the same thing without the recipient of the tip needing to say "this is where you put my tip".

That's so true. They need those.

I think this is how it was for me, too on my last trip last Nov./Dec. It's always such a weird and confusing process with them coming back multiple times, I feel like I get whiplash. It's definitely more complicated than it's ever been before.

I feel bad for the servers with the switch. They probably hate explaining it, but I guess if you as the customer don't know/forget to do the tip first, they are out their money. Imagine how tired they are of saying it...way more than 22 times!

They didnt seem to mind, and that was the annoying part. It was almost like they had a smirk on their faces when letting us know. It was more like "Here is your bill, which does not include my service, so as soon as you write down my tip and Ill come back to process your payment."

They could easily say "Our system is a one step process, so if you could please total your bill, I will be able to check you out when youre ready"....or something like that.

We are at 10 or so table service restaurants August 10-18 and this never happened. We didn't have the dining plan. At the beginning of the week, I was paying with a reward card and used cash for the tip.

They didnt seem to mind, and that was the annoying part. It was almost like they had a smirk on their faces when letting us know. It was more like "Here is your bill, which does not include my service, so as soon as you write down my tip and Ill come back to process your payment."

They could easily say "Our system is a one step process, so if you could please total your bill, I will be able to check you out when youre ready"....or something like that.
Maybe the unusual system gives servers a benefit of being able to ask for tips and disguise it as a explanation.

I am for a poster from above, just auto-gratuity everyone and then we can add more (or speak to someone to take it away).

We are at 10 or so table service restaurants August 10-18 and this never happened. We didn't have the dining plan. At the beginning of the week, I was paying with a reward card and used cash for the tip.

Maybe it is a dining plan thing. Some people still think the tip is included on the dining plan like it used to be. I imagine some servers have been stiffed quite a bit.

Wow, very interesting. I would assume it's because of the amount of people now using the Dining Plans and not reading the fine print (or their meal checks) to see that tips are not included. I think people buy the dining plans and assume it's "all inclusive" and don't even think about the tipping and just leave the restaurant after signing on the dotted line thinking it's all been taken care of since it's pre-paid. And some meals, gratuity is included such as Hoop Dee Doo, CRT etc. so that confuses people. And factor in the many people visiting with English not being their first language etc. Tipping customs can also be very different in other countries than they are in the US. Even within the US, different areas of the country have different tipping standards. I waitressed my way through college so I totally sympathize with WDW servers. It must stink getting no tip.

Maybe it is a dining plan thing. Some people still think the tip is included on the dining plan like it used to be. I imagine some servers have been stiffed quite a bit.

That is what I was thinking, because Disney1975 and I were there at the same time. We did at least one table service every day, often 2, so I was surprised by the post. I can't remember if it happened in Nov 2017 any more, we had the dining plan back then.

That is what I was thinking, because Disney1975 and I were there at the same time. We did at least one table service every day, often 2, so I was surprised by the post. I can't remember if it happened in Nov 2017 any more, we had the dining plan back then.
I'm thinking the same thing-it seems from the boards/blogs I read that tipping not being included on the dining plan is stressed, so I am planning accordingly. But I can't help but wonder if a majority of people who purchase the dining plan because it means they will have no surprises and everything is pre-paid are either surprised or uninformed that tipping is still expected. We always tip at any all inclusives we've been to, so it probably should be expected. It is certainly earned in all the Disney table service restaurants I have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter