And I am here for the Food...A Disney SOMETIME (AUG '20 mini trip) Report (9/10 update)

Super Secret Squirrel Details: Final Day (continued)

I couldn't leave without riding this one, even though I'm not a fan of spinning at ALL. DH usually spins like crazy on this...but this time he was hands off...so I grabbed the wheel and did some spinning quickly!

Next up I knew I needed to also ride another iconic ride:

We were almost the only ones on this one...but the most exciting thing for me was that for the first time since Dumbo became Dumbo X2 I was able to ride the "OTHER" side. If you are facing the two Dumbos at the entrance, I've always been selected for the one on the right and this time I got to ride the one on the left. This just made my day...crazy I know. DH swore our Dumbo wasn't working (I made him in charge of movement) but I was able to get it to work.

YEAH for left Dumbo:

After flying high with Dumbo, we headed Under the Sea:

We walked onto both of these rides...and now it was 1pm and we had another longish line for this ride:

I think we waited maybe 15 minutes for this one...it just seemed longer with the social distancing in lines.

We were now at 1:20pm and we had reservations for Tony's at 2pm. This gave us some time to meander through the gift shops for a bit.
So we headed there:

Another castle photo anybody?

I think I picked up a tshirt in the gift shop...it was on clearance and I got my DVC discount so it was a great deal. While in line at the store I was speaking to a CM regulating the line. I asked how his day was...and he said just okay. I was concerned so I asked how it could be better...and he said "if people would just wear their MASKS".

OUCH. So yeah I think the mask enforcement and pushback from guests is definitely something that is wearing on the Disney CMs. I will say, we took these disposable ones, changed them out every day, and honestly they were not that bad and after a while we really didn't notice them that much. That was unexpected for sure...but true. Sure we did stop and get something to eat or drink whenever we felt we needed a little break and that helped. However overall we didn't find it to be as bad as we anticipated.

And next we walked up here:

This was taken at 1:40pm and we had to wait another 5 minutes to check in for our 2pm reservation.

We sat outside on a bench outside while waiting and just people watched for a bit. We weren't seated until pretty close to our reservation time, but that was okay. I was able to catch on video one of those people I am sure the CMs just hate dealing with now. A guy walked through the gates, clearly had his mask below his chin...and proceeded up Main Street. There a CM carrying a sign regarding mask wearing stopped him...and I'm sure told him to pull up the mask. He did but you could see as soon as he walked away he pulled it right back down. She chased after him. Wow I wonder how that went? Couldn't find out...we had a meal to get to next!

I had not been to Tony's in a long long time...and DH didn't even remember when we last ate there but we remember it wasn't great. I'm so glad we gave it another shot. The service there was fantastic...as was the food. We started with the mozzarella:

The bread was also delicious.

Enjoying our meal so far:

DH then ordered some kind of seafood pasta...he enjoyed it:

I got the caesar salad and was asked if I wanted to add to it...i chose shrimp...this was all very good as well and I loved the bread/large crouton with it:

Bellies full, we still had plenty of time to kill. We were leaving the park and as we looked up we saw this:

Time for a selfie with the characters:

We decided to do another monorail gift shop loop because I had a hat that I wanted to buy which I had only been able to find at the Contemporary gift shop, I had looked for it every time we went into other Disney shops. DH also wanted to look at some shirts...so we caught the monorail around and watched this forming outside:

Yep there was some rain coming for sure.

We checked out the gift shop at the Poly...man I love this place...but yes as people have mentioned the lobby was just so quiet.

Then we arrived at the Contemporary where I found my hat...nope not this one:

I'll have to see if I can find it but I don't have photos right now. It's a white hat with 2 colored Mickey balloons on it...so cute.

Ah...credit to Disney Food Blog here it is:
https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/wp-c...ic-kingdom-emporium-mickey-balloons-hat-2.jpg
We decided after to just walk back over to the MK from the Contemporary and catch a bus back to our resort. We arrived at the bus stop right before the rain started. We waited about 20 minutes for our bus, and soon we were on our way back to the Wilderness Lodge.

And now to wrap up this trip. Once at the lobby of the Wilderness Lodge, I changed into some fresh clothes...and we just hung out a bit there...with DH taking another oh-so-flattering photo:

I got myself a final Mickey Ice Cream bar from the gift shop there while waiting...and we just enjoyed the scenery:

It was probably around 5:30pm when we left the WL for good...and headed to the airport. By 6:30pm or so we were waiting for our flight...and this was taken at some point, probably after we had grabbed some food.

And soon we were on the flight:

It was 7:30pm and just over 2 hours later we would arrive back at our home airport. We called our daughter once we hit the ground and she and her younger brother arrived to pick us up around 10pm.

We had a fabulous trip...seriously...and we are still planning our return trip.

Attachments

• 20200821_190947.jpg
    20200821_190947.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2
Yeah! What an amazing time you had! :mickeyjum:goofy::dumbo::donald::stitch::ccat::tigger:
I hope your husband's C-19 test is negative!
Thanks for sharing your excellent adventures!
Stay well!

What an amazing trip! MK was seriously empty for you compared to other reports I’ve read. Love your castle photos😍. I haven’t been to Tony’s in years but your food looked great so definitely worth another visit. Glad you had such a fun-filled last day and hassle- free journey home. Loved reading your report. Thanks for sharing :goodvibes

Yeah! What an amazing time you had! :mickeyjum:goofy::dumbo::donald::stitch::ccat::tigger:
I hope your husband's C-19 test is negative!
Thanks for sharing your excellent adventures!
Stay well!
Should have posted this earlier...he did get the results and they were negative! Thanks for reading and posting.. it was a great trip.

What an amazing trip! MK was seriously empty for you compared to other reports I’ve read. Love your castle photos😍. I haven’t been to Tony’s in years but your food looked great so definitely worth another visit. Glad you had such a fun-filled last day and hassle- free journey home. Loved reading your report. Thanks for sharing :goodvibes
Thanks so much for reading and responding. I agree about MK...I think it definitely helps to avoid weekends if at all possible. Definitely give Tony's a try...we plan to return again for sure.

So before riding Splash I told DH I had read that it was "less splashy". I swear I read that here on the DIS...somewhere...but he didn't believe me and of course...we still got wet thought not soaked. Also while on the drop...DH lost his favorite Disney hat:
This sucks! Joe lost his hat on this back in March. We had to buy him the same one on eBay because it was the Villians After Hours hat from 2019 and sadly no longer available at the park.

Glad you had a good trip!! Looks like you got a lot done and weren't bothered too much by mask wearing. If only Disney could rule the USA lol

Should have posted this earlier...he did get the results and they were negative!
:thumbsup2

We haven't eaten at Tony's in a few years but have thought about it. The food looks much better than it did for awhile and their are so many more positive reviews lately that I'm sure we'll be back at some point!

I'm so glad you went, I knew you'd enjoy it :goodvibes Hope you do your fall trip which may or may not coincide with our dates depending on what we end up with!

This sucks! Joe lost his hat on this back in March. We had to buy him the same one on eBay because it was the Villians After Hours hat from 2019 and sadly no longer available at the park.

Ugh...that sucks but glad you were able to find it on eBay. Yeah DH was ready to replace his so he didn't mind losing it too much.

Glad you had a good trip!! Looks like you got a lot done and weren't bothered too much by mask wearing. If only Disney could rule the USA lol

We did and yes the masks were fine. I agree that Disney is totally doing it right for sure. It's a shame not all states are following, but here in Maryland they are also pretty good.

:thumbsup2

We haven't eaten at Tony's in a few years but have thought about it. The food looks much better than it did for awhile and their are so many more positive reviews lately that I'm sure we'll be back at some point!

I'm so glad you went, I knew you'd enjoy it :goodvibes Hope you do your fall trip which may or may not coincide with our dates depending on what we end up with!

Definitely give Tony's another try for sure.

I'm glad we went also and it would be cool if we have another overlap. I think we are pretty set on the first week in November, starting with Halloween day for right now. Nothing is booked yet but I've got all kinds of plans in the works.

I think we are pretty set on the first week in November, starting with Halloween day for right now. Nothing is booked yet but I've got all kinds of plans in the works
Well right now we're Nov. 1-6; if Chris actually GOES to school at the end of Oct. we'll change to the 4-8th so we're here the 2 days/week he'd go. Right now they are starting remote and phasing in students by grade level beginning late Sept and high schoolers will go back 10/26 but I think there's about a 10% chance they actually go back :headache: Good news would be our trips would definitely overlap then!

Well right now we're Nov. 1-6; if Chris actually GOES to school at the end of Oct. we'll change to the 4-8th so we're here the 2 days/week he'd go. Right now they are starting remote and phasing in students by grade level beginning late Sept and high schoolers will go back 10/26 but I think there's about a 10% chance they actually go back :headache: Good news would be our trips would definitely overlap then!

Oh wow...that would be great to be able to say hello again...and maybe this time grab a drink somewhere. Yeah I'm with you that it's probably unlikely on the return to school. I'm still trying to talk my kids into going with us on our trip...they are hesitant because they have school but it's virtual so they can do it anywhere. We are waiting until they have an established routine to see about booking. However DH is really really gung ho about going for his birthday and he has already scheduled that time off.

So I had a rare moment last night when I was up and couldn't get back to sleep...thanks to a cat getting sick at 2am. So I roll over and start reading on my phone....and what do I see in my email but....a DISNEY RESORT PIN CODE!

I have NEVER EVER received one of those myself. I've known people who have received them...but not me. So since the current room discounts they have don't apply to my state, this was GREAT news. I spent today checking out some potential rooms and the discounts are great. I'm now even more excited about this trip.

We may end up doing a 2BR Villa at Wilderness Lodge now...using the points that I still have available to borrow and cash. That's the current plan. Backup is either a room at Caribbean Beach or maybe the Swan. We'll see but those are the current potential candidates.

It doesn't look like the kids (at least 2 of them) will want to go with us so might just be me, DH, 16yo and my FIL. That's okay...we'll still make it great!

and what do I see in my email but....a DISNEY RESORT PIN CODE!
Yup they went out a couple days ago! Really helped "us" lol as in myself and my co-workers since tons of clients got them and gave us a call :goodvibes Of course I didn't get one but wouldn't help with our AP's and our state isn't included either since it's not considered a "driveable" state.

Brilliant you got a PIN!!!
So nice to have more options at a decent rate. Happy planning :goodvibes

Thanks! Yes it's made it a bit easier to start the planning process!

Great read! Thanks for posting!

Thanks for reading!

Yup they went out a couple days ago! Really helped "us" lol as in myself and my co-workers since tons of clients got them and gave us a call :goodvibes Of course I didn't get one but wouldn't help with our AP's and our state isn't included either since it's not considered a "driveable" state.

I am so glad you are seeing people willing to return now. It was a room-only code for us (we don't have APs and thinking about what we'll spend on tickets for these trips is really hurting me!) and it's made doing this split stay of cash and DVC points much easier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!