• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Animal Kingdom, sure...why not

Fooboy

Mouseketeer
hello all! on a previous post, i asked if AK was really worth it. Well, after gathering a bunch of facts and opinions, we've decided to go for it for at least half a day. Does anyone have any suggestions on what time we should arrive at the AK if we want to enjoy some other park in the morning? We have a PS at Boma that evening so we don't want to be forced to stay there from early morning to night. We're going during 12/30 (right smack dab in the middle of holiday season. yay.) Please keep this in mind...time is extremely valuable for this trip. too much to see, too little time.

thnx
foobs

What time is your PS for Boma for? I'd plan on spending at least 4-5 hours at AK, and allow for a half hour travel time from AK to AKL if taking the bus, in case you just miss one. (If driving, 10 minutes or so should do it.) Make sure you allow yourself some time either before or after your meal to check out the resort too!

If at all posssible, I'd recommend starting your day at AK as early as possible. The animals are much more active early in the day (one of the main reasons that the park closes early year-round).

Most people do plan to arrive at or near opening, which means you'll be behind the 8-ball already if you arrive later in the day. Over the holiday season, FastPass should be running for all of the main attractions, and you may get closed-out by not arriving until later in the day.

Even in the holiday season, you should be able to get a good taste of AK in just 4 or 5 hours. Kilimanjaro Safari is the headline attraction for the park. As such, it makes touring fairly easy to plan. When you first arrive, if FastPass is open for KS, get a FastPass immediately. While waiting for your FP time, go and see one or two of the other headline attractions like Tough To Be A Bug or Dinosaur.

Don't forget the Lion King show at some point in the day.

Again, it's a very managable park, but I believe it's absolutely essential to arrive as early as possible in the am.

I have to second the idea of starting at AK.

I'd also have to suggest going to AK in the morning, especially during a really busy day. I love AK, but for some reason, I feel the crowds get somewhat annoying as the day drags on. At least you probably won't have the heat to deal with. I'd also plan on spending at least four hours in the park, if you do decide to go later in the day.

Go in with an open mind. I know a lot of people dislike AK, but if you take your time and enjoy the theming, you might really enjoy it.:D

hmmm, interesting. well okey! thnx for ya'lls inputs. my PS at Boma is at 5:00. We need to rush over to Downtown Dis for the 900 showing of Cirque Du Soliel. I can't wait for my girlfriend to experience that. I love that show! Seen almost all of em all around the country.

foobs

Animal Kingdom is still our least favorite park, but my mom and I (age 32) went back in May to give it another try and found that we are starting to like it more and more. If it is just adults, I recommed trying Festival of the Lion King, It's Tough to be a Bug, Kilimanjaro Safaris, and Dinosaur (and Kali River Rapids if you don't care about getting wet - we don't like getting wet and haven't done it). Also the trails in Asia have some interesting animals like bats and tigers. Time everything with fastpasses and with the time you choose to see Lion King, and you should be able to do most of that in 3 or 4 hours.

a lot of people say that i can get through AK in an avg. of 4 hours. even during holiday season?

foobs

I haven't been there during the holidays, so I'm not sure. To save time, here's what you might try. Get a fast pass for Kilimanjaro Safaris, go do the first Lion King, do It's tough to be a bug (maybe before Lion King), go back and do Kilimanjaro, then go do Dinosaur and Kali River Rapids - possibly getting a fastpass for one and then riding the other while you wait for your fastpass time.

If you want to take a leisurely stroll through this park and enjoy the scenery, it will take more than 4 hours because it is very big. Study a map before you go to the park to orient yourself. It is not laid out as simply as Epcot or MK, and there are dead ends and lovely, but confusing, little trails.

One note to save time - Lion King is performed in a square theater with people seated on all four sides. You enter from one corner. When you enter, head toward the corner of the theater on your right (not diagonal and not to your left). This will place you near the exit and make for a quick departure when the show is over. Otherwise you will probably have to wait in line just to get out of the theater.

thnx for the tip skporter! I think I have everything just about planned out for every other day but this one...argh! haha! well, i suppose the tentative plan for now is this:

Arrive early in the morning for the Safaris
Watch It's Tough To Be A Bug!
Ride Dinosaur
Walk around and see the sights real quick
Watch the Lion King Show
go back to Hotel or some other park
Back to AKL for Boma at 5:00P

Does this sound good? or possible?

thnx!
foobs

Your itinerary sounds fine, although I definitely think you should not leave Kali River Rapids out! I know you will be in Florida at one of the coldest times of the year, although I definitely think this is a "to not be missed" attraction! Pack a rain poncho and brave it! :umbrella: I know you will love it- it's up there with the best rides in Walt Disney World! Be sure you do the other attractions on your list, as they are also must-do's!!!! Have fun!!

mariamouse::MinnieMo

HAHA! I read and seen the pics on the Kali Rapids! haha! It looks a bit toooo wet for my taste. I really dislike walking around in wet clothes all day. plus risking getting sick for the rest of the trip. haha! is it really that much fun?! I've been on those at Six Flag and stuff but as we all know, Six Flags can't compare to Disney!

thnx!

foobs

Have a great trip, fooboy and fellow Texan. I'm like you - the risk of getting drenched keeps me from riding Kali. As far as my feet go, wet shoes = horrible blisters, and that's the last thing I need while I'm at WDW. And I think they make you keep your shoes on while you ride so I don't know how anyone keeps their shoes dry. I guess they have tough feet. We're tempted sometime to do it last thing during the day, but haven't so far. It's a long walk back to the bus.

I totally agree with you on that. I suppose you could put plastic shopping bags on ur feet. Hope that doesn't embarass the kids (if applicable) too much :). ah yes, Texan. Indeed, born and raised in the Lone Star State. My favorite beer is shiner and I bleed Orange. HooK 'eM HoRnS!

foobs

Fooboy-

I've thought of the plastic bag thing, but I think I might be too embarrassed! I'm also afraid that the bags would fill up with water and it would be worse than no bags at all. Maybe one of these days I'll be brave enough, but probably not December.

Actually I'm a Texan transplanted from Oklahoma (since '95) - but just tonight I did use Shiner in the recipe for Canadian Cheese Soup I got from Le Cellier at Epcot, even though they told me I had to use Canadian beer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter