Animal sightings at The Fort....

We are on our way for the first time in 2 weeks. For those of you that go often, how likely is it that we will see something other than squirrels or small birds? Where should we go to maximize our opportunity to see deer or turkeys?

We were 1800 loop on our last trip (Jan 2013) The turkeys came into loop nearly every day not long after dawn and stuck around a while. When we walked our dogs along the canal in the early morning and evening we often saw deer on the other side munching away. We did come across a racoon one morning at waters edge as well

If this ends up a repeat I apologize in advance
In Jan 2013 we were in 1800 loop. The Turkeys crossed the canal every mourning not long after sunrise and came through the loop. When we walked our dogs in early mourning and evening we frequently saw deer on the other side of the canal munching away. On day we had a raccoon on the bank. We did also see armadillo's a few times as well

We really didn't have to try and see the animals (including squirrels and birds). In November 2016 DW and I went for breakfast one morning at TE and came across a "Flock" of Turkeys. We were about 15 feet away from them and they just kept on foraging. We were also there in August 2016, and we came across a Mother turkey with a baby walking around by the CS for the 1400 Loop (we were walking from the Pool back to our loop via the 1400 loop.)

We frequently see deer in the fields on the way back out of the fort as well as the occasional armadillo (which caught my DD11 by surprise one night walking home from the Docks.)

I think as long as you keep your eyes open, you will have ample opportunity to see the wildlife.

We really didn't have to try and see the animals (including squirrels and birds). In November 2016 DW and I went for breakfast one morning at TE and came across a "Flock" of Turkeys. We were about 15 feet away from them and they just kept on foraging. We were also there in August 2016, and we came across a Mother turkey with a baby walking around by the CS for the 1400 Loop (we were walking from the Pool back to our loop via the 1400 loop.)

We frequently see deer in the fields on the way back out of the fort as well as the occasional armadillo (which caught my DD11 by surprise one night walking home from the Docks.)

I think as long as you keep your eyes open, you will have ample opportunity to see the wildlife.
Paul like you I don't have to try to see wildlife but some here may not be as attuned to wildlife as some others. Those of us that spend time in the woods will be more aware of what is around us than some others and actually be looking for assorted critters without even thunkering about it. So while we might be on full alert for ambush attacks by the NSS and thus just see more of what is around us others may need some handy hints and sticks to knock together to scare off the mountain lions

Last edited:
View attachment 161843 [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]Here at the Fort right now and just came across this guy.View attachment 161841
Where did you see this guy because we were there last March so that would be one month before you? I think it may have been the same one we saw. We saw one in canal pond right behind our 300 site right next to the dog park. Great pics, we only got minimal pics of head and tail while he was in the water.

Last edited:

We are on our way for the first time in 2 weeks. For those of you that go often, how likely is it that we will see something other than squirrels or small birds? Where should we go to maximize our opportunity to see deer or turkeys?

Come by our house, see all the deer you want, 'chomping' on my plants, then you can take them all home with you!! :D Have turkeys too! They're all usually around the Fort when we're there also.

Guess we never consider the wildlife when we're at the Fort as we see all we want at home. And we definitely don't want to run into any alligators or snakes!! :eek: We do manage to see many deer, turkeys, armadillos, etc. without even trying at FW though.

Excuse me, are the squirrels on vacation or something?

This recently released email courtesy of Russian Hacks should help refresh your memory

From: The Desk Of The Exalted Grand High Poohbah of The Ancient and Honored Ninja Squirrel Squad
To : All Loyal Honored and Faithful Members and Adherents to The Ninja Squirrel Squad
Subject: Defense Security and Protection of The Extra Double Super Secret NSS Headquarters

1. Recent postings on you YouTube video services have revealed that our basic defenses and perimeter have become lax and subject to infiltration, This condition is unacceptable and dangerous at every level. Not only is our base of operations exposed to the public at large but our most secret and sacred tactics and training regiments employed to gather our basic supplies are in danger of being exposed. No reminder should be needed that:
UNDER NO CONDITIONS WILL THE AMOUNT TRIBUTE PROVIDED THIS OFFICE BE REDUCED
FAILURE TO MAINTAIN THE UTMOST SECURITY AND SECRET STANDARDS EXPOSE US ALL TO DANGER
2. Effective IMMEDIATELY all personnel will devote all energies to improving and repairing perimeter defenses
3. Any personnel failing to comply with the efforts described above or found to be leaking of security tapes to YouTube or any other outlet will suffer the following
a) Reduction in rank to Basic Nut gatherer
b) Immediate transfer to Performing in a Water Skiing company
c) Half Rations to be composed of Gluten free Peanuts and Tap water

Last edited:
Squirrels are the entertainment d'jour back home for our Jack Russel. These are smaller and don't taunt her like the NW version. Our lab literally stands and stares at the palm shrub in our spot mesmerized by the lizards. She appears almost in a Caa style trance:hyper:

We've seen tons of deer; again a diminutive cousin to the ones in Oregon. Makes them very .... endDEERing . Cough cough. Sorry.

Armadillos early in the morning send the dogs coo coo for Cocoa Puffs.

One snake, Turkeys along backside of 800 loop in dark walk area. Advised a curious unattended young boy that approaching the male displaying his feathers was a BAD idea.

Turtles. I have become
Enchanted with turtles. Everyday I walk the dogs across from our 500 loop beyond the playground along the fenced grass area behind 300 loop. The inlet pond has several turtles who sit on a log and in the bank. Today I went over and saw them. Then took the dogs ha into da g park to let them run free. Looked over toward the bank and saw this fella getting some sun...IMG_5807.PNG

How do you protect your food from the critters? Will a fridge and Rubbermaid container make it? Or do we need to go full bear country camping and keep things in a tree or the van?

How do you protect your food from the critters? Will a fridge and Rubbermaid container make it? Or do we need to go full bear country camping and keep things in a tree or the van?
^ This will work. Be sure your Rubbermaid are a tight seal, if not add a bungee. The squirrels are determined little critters.

Ok, it's not at the Fort, and it's not a real squirrel, but it's still cute.

image.jpg

I was accosted by this little beggar on the porch at the settlement............
Very persistent, was very good at his job...

21 days 8 hours and 9 minutes.......................

1Capture.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter