ANNOUNCEMENT: Board Upgrade

Chuck S

DVC Co-Moderator
Super Moderator
Info from Webmaster Pete:

This weekend we're going to be upgrading our forum software to the latest version, Xenforo 2. The boards will be unavailable starting on Saturday at 3 pm eastern. We anticipate they will be back online Saturday night if there are no technical issues with the transfer. Once the forums are back online, the design team will be working on them, so they may not look like "our forums" right away. While we are upgrading the software, this new version does have some major differences - mainly that it is designed with a priority on mobile devices. There are also many new features with this version of Xenforo, including expanded emoji options, enhanced editing features and better integration with social media among them.

While we don't expect any major downtime, with any migration to a new platform, things can happen - so we ask for your patience and understanding as we undergo this enhancement.

Info from Webmaster Pete:

This weekend we're going to be upgrading our forum software to the latest version, Xenforo 2. The boards will be unavailable starting on Saturday at 3 pm eastern. We anticipate they will be back online Saturday night if there are no technical issues with the transfer. Once the forums are back online, the design team will be working on them, so they may not look like "our forums" right away. While we are upgrading the software, this new version does have some major differences - mainly that it is designed with a priority on mobile devices. There are also many new features with this version of Xenforo, including expanded emoji options, enhanced editing features and better integration with social media among them.

While we don't expect any major downtime, with any migration to a new platform, things can happen - so we ask for your patience and understanding as we undergo this enhancement.
Repeating this.... our Board Mods, unlike those at disneyworld.disney.go.com, are exhibiting STELLAR skill. Just as with your BANK, or CC agent? They have chosen to warn you AHEAD of time, of a planned outage, in anticipation of a major upgrade.

You are seeing people that actually know how to RUN a website. Too few of us have complemented them on doing the RIGHT THING. We all complain about disneyworld.disney.go.com, and their total LACK of change control. Here, in front of us, is a great set of admins that GET "Change Control".

I, for one, am impressed. But hey, I only did this sort of thing for 27 years in a Fortune 500. KUDOS to the Alpha Geek, running our site :). I don't know your name, don't need too... you are GOOD :).

I agree with Dean, this is a fantastic website and props to those who maintain it.

...too boot? This came out WELL. Took a few minutes to get used to navigation, but the roll out was VERY smooth, with no lost data :).

OUR Admins, as an act of charity, should offer to talk to the WDW Admins :). They could seriously use this boards help :). THIS board gets "Change Control" :).

Agree with Dean. Thanks to all for providing this resource. I'm sure there were a few hiccups, but the upgrade was seamless to me. Many thanks!

Repeating this.... our Board Mods, unlike those at disneyworld.disney.go.com, are exhibiting STELLAR skill. Just as with your BANK, or CC agent? They have chosen to warn you AHEAD of time, of a planned outage, in anticipation of a major upgrade.

Regarding the official Disney sites, let's blame upper management for making the decisions, though, not the technical staff. I have first hand knowledge from a friend who worked on MyMagic+ from 2010-2012 of their preposterous demands, under budgeting, and especially their ridiculous timelines. They also don't care if things aren't ready to go or if they're fully QA'd, either. (That advice is routinely ignored.)

Thanks everyone, It makes the tech team happy to have people appreciate their work!

When I logged in today, I forgot about the upgrade that took place. A slightly different look and feel, which is very easy to get used to. However, the speed is IMPRESSIVE!!! Congratulations to the team for an excellent job on the upgrade, and a second congratulations for a great end product.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter