Annual Passholder Parking question

If it is ok, I would like to piggy back on this and ask a question.

We have APs but they are not activated yet. Can we still park for free or will we have to pay the first day and then after activating we can park for free for the remainder of our trip? I've never driven so I don't know how that works, can they scan magic bands and see that you have an AP even if it isn't activated?

When I got mine, I showed the CM the voucher and they waved me through. Its possible you might get one that won't though.

I have never had a band scanned or even asked to see my AP ... I just say AP holder and they wave me in .. I’m fl resident and go often and never been questioned parking .

Its been fairly inconsistent for me. Most of the time, they scan my MagicBand and that is it. I was asked to verify my name one time (at I believe Animal Kingdom). I think I may have been asked for ID one time also, but don't remember which park. A number of times, I have been waved through without even scanning my MagicBand. I have the Passholder Slider on my main MagicBands, my Passholder Card around my neck, a Passholder Magnet on the back of my car and the MGM Christmas Magnet attached to a magnetic cell phone base on my dash, so that is probably why.

@Robo when did this new procedure take effect. That should make things much easier! It would have for me last November, since I went for MNSSHP a few days before I planned to activate my AP and enter a park. (If it was in effect last November I was in the dark about it).

Just within the last couple of months.

I don't understand why you can't activate an AP online. It would save people a lot of time when they first get there by not having to go to Disney Springs or go to the ticket booth at the park on that first day. It should be a very easy process. Heck, if the pass won't begin its countdown until it is used to get into a park then why should they have to be activated at all? They should come activated and upon your first entrance to the park the countdown begins. I am sure they have their reasons.

Some people can't even manage to go to the right attraction for their FP. While it would be great for most people, I can't imagine the guest services nightmare of people coming up to complain about how they "accidentally" activated their AP 4 months ago and this is their first visit with their AP.

So, if we have our voucher with us because we are planning to activate at the gate will that work with the CM?

So, if we have our voucher with us because we are planning to activate at the gate will that work with the CM?

Maybe.
Maybe not.

As has been said, it is very inconsistent.

There are dozens of different CMs who work parking over the course of any given year.
You won't know who you will encounter.

If the CM requires you to pay, just take your receipt with you to the ticket booth or Guest Relations that day when you activate your AP.
Just nicely ask for a parking refund and show the receipt.

Maybe.
Maybe not.

As has been said, it is very inconsistent.

There are dozens of different CMs who work parking over the course of any given year.
You won't know who you will encounter.

If the CM requires you to pay, just take your receipt with you to the ticket booth or Guest Relations that day when you activate your AP.
Just nicely ask for a parking refund and show the receipt.

Thanks Robo!

I don't understand why you can't activate an AP online....
I am sure they have their reasons.

It is possible that the recent change to "starting the AP by entering the park gate" is a step toward this.
They do want to see photo ID due to "connecting to a singular individual" is so essential to all that is involved with the multiple AP benefits.

It's also possible that they can do this at the park gates, eventually.

Stay tuned.

I am really glad some of you mentioned having to show IDs occasionally. Whenever I go to Disney, especially staying onsite, I never bring anything with me. Not a wallet, not an ID...nothing. It isn't usually necessary. So for this trip, I think I will keep my wallet in my car. If I am asked while parking we can show ID and if for any reason I need it in the park it isn't too far away. When I stay onsite I won't worry about it, so hopefully they never ID anyone entering the park with an AP.

The one time I almost needed an ID was when I ordered an alcoholic drink at Brown Derby. The waitress wanted to see ID for my husband and myself. We were just in shock as we are in our mid 30s and don't look particularly young. But beyond that, we didn't have it. I figured that information was stored on our magic band and she should be able to just scan that. I mean, we even scanned our finger print coming in if they needed to double check it was us. She didn't force the issue and after we explained that we didn't have our wallet and never bring it to the parks she just got our drinks. lol

I am really glad some of you mentioned having to show IDs occasionally. Whenever I go to Disney, especially staying onsite, I never bring anything with me. Not a wallet, not an ID...nothing. It isn't usually necessary. So for this trip, I think I will keep my wallet in my car. If I am asked while parking we can show ID and if for any reason I need it in the park it isn't too far away. When I stay onsite I won't worry about it, so hopefully they never ID anyone entering the park with an AP.

Having an ID can bail you out (certainly speed things along) if you have ticket or AP problems.
I never go to a WDW park without a legal photo ID.

There are many times when a guest may need to show her/his "AP card" to claim some
of the AP discounts, etc.
If you carry a photo ID, Guest Relations can re-issue an AP card, on-the-spot, if you lose yours (or just left it back in the room.)

And, with life in general, there are times when an ID is what's needed at the moment.

Last edited:
What is an AP card? I thought everything was on your magic band. They really should get to the point of taking a pic of you at the resort and connecting that to your magic band. That would work as a photo ID on the spot if they could scan your band and have the pic pop up.

I guess I will go with an ID from now on, I just hate having to worry about it slipping out of my pocket and I don't want to bring my wallet because I worry about pickpockets when it is so crowded.

I always have my yellow AP card/ticket and my ID ready at the parking booths - sometimes they waive me thru with a glance, sometimes they really look, and sometimes they scan. No consistency at all.

FWIW - on my first day they did let me thru on my first day even though I hadn't activiated the AP yet.

You know what would be cool? An AP parking booth just like the AP entrances into the park.

What is an AP card? I thought everything was on your magic band. They really should get to the point of taking a pic of you at the resort and connecting that to your magic band. That would work as a photo ID on the spot if they could scan your band and have the pic pop up.

I guess I will go with an ID from now on, I just hate having to worry about it slipping out of my pocket and I don't want to bring my wallet because I worry about pickpockets when it is so crowded.

You have to show your yellow AP card and valid photo ID to get the discount. This prevents someone from just borrowing an AP's band for a discount.

And there's nothing ever stored on a magic band

That is very strange. I'm an AP and go often. I've never just said "I'm an AP" and been waived in

I either A) have my AP card and ID out to show them or B) have my magic band out for them to scan.

Sometimes they look to verify my ID matches my AP card, sometimes they just wave me through. Sometimes they scan my band, sometimes they scan my band and ask my last name, sometimes they don't scan the band.

Very strange you've encountered CM's that just go on your word of saying your an AP. Anyone could say that

This is pretty much my experience as well. Most of the time I have my card and ID in my hand, they see them at a distance and waive me through. Occasionally one of them will actually check to make sure it's legit. I don't think I've ever had my MB scanned at the parks for parking, but it would be kind of redundant with the card and ID already present (plus I wear my MB on my right arm, which makes it harder for them to reach to scan when I'm driving). I've never tried just saying "I'm an AP" ever - can't imagine that would be OK with Disney. I wish they had some sort of way you could just drive through, kind of like the toll transponders. You would think with the MB they could have it set up that way. Think how much faster the traffic could be processed if half or more of the cars could be processed that way (between resort guests and APs with MB) . . .

Do they always check for an ID? Is it just with the card, or with the magicband too?

I've had my card scanned and I've been asked to show photo id and other times they wave me though

I always stick out my arm so they can scan my band,60% of the time they just wave you through,40% of the time they scan it.Never have they asked for ID at Disney,at Universal its pretty much procedure to show your pass along with an ID,they pretty much ask to see it 98% of the time if you dont hand it to them along with your pass.At Sea World they ask for ID like 50/50.

I don't understand why you can't activate an AP online. It would save people a lot of time when they first get there by not having to go to Disney Springs or go to the ticket booth at the park on that first day. It should be a very easy process. Heck, if the pass won't begin its countdown until it is used to get into a park then why should they have to be activated at all? They should come activated and upon your first entrance to the park the countdown begins. I am sure they have their reasons.

I presume they make you do it in person to issue you a yellow passholder card and verify Florida Residency (if applicable).

I presume they make you do it in person to issue you a yellow passholder card and verify Florida Residency (if applicable).

As I mentioned earlier, they may be planning on being able to do that right at the park gates in the future.
Right NOW, in the lines to enter the gates, CMs can issue new "plastic tickets" for guests who ordered "Will Call" tickets who are not using MBs.
They have (recently) added that feature when previously, that required guests make a trip to a ticket booth, Will Call window, or Guest Relations.

BTW, this "at the gate" pick-up situation is not something I'd want to count on, as if there is any difficulty
(and from years of experience, we know that there CAN be lots of chance for difficulty) the problems
could THEN hold up a line (or more) of guests behind that person
(whose authorization was glitchy.)
That would make for a lot of unhappy guests in that held-up line!

If I can handle the ID/ticket/card pick-up at a booth in advance, I will do so... just in case.

Do they always check for an ID? Is it just with the card, or with the magicband too?

They don't always do everything 100% the same. So far I haven't had to show ID when they scan my band, but others have.

You'll always want to have your ID on you though because you'll need to show matching ID to your AP card to be able to get AP discounts when dining or shopping. And you'll also need it incase anything goes wrong

The one time I almost needed an ID was when I ordered an alcoholic drink at Brown Derby. The waitress wanted to see ID for my husband and myself. We were just in shock as we are in our mid 30s and don't look particularly young. But beyond that, we didn't have it. I figured that information was stored on our magic band and she should be able to just scan that. I mean, we even scanned our finger print coming in if they needed to double check it was us. She didn't force the issue and after we explained that we didn't have our wallet and never bring it to the parks she just got our drinks. lol
You should always carry photo ID on you, even at Disney. That info is not on MDE, so it is not available through your magic band. Biometrics are not a fingerprint.

Pick pockets are not an issue at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter