Annual Passholder Parking question

Yes, inconsistency seems to be the rule with parking with an AP. Now that the parking booths scan MagicBands, there seems to be no need to show the yellow Passholder card at parking and I can't recall needing to show that to the parking CM since they've been scanning the bands. I always have my band ready for scanning when approaching the parking booth and tell the CM I'm a passholder. Sometimes I get waved thru and sometimes scanned...might have been asked for ID on rare occasions. Sometimes they'll just ask if I'm my first name after the scan and wave me thru. It's totally varied...

Pick pockets are not an issue at Disney.
Uhhmmm... yes they are. It is a public place and their are thieves everywhere even at WDW. A family was riding behind us on the Safari ride and my wife turned around to see the little kid reaching for our camera bag. His dad was holding him over the seat. As soon as the ride was over they bolted. We told a CM but we don’t know if they were caught. Why do people think WDW is immune to bad people? Heck, a little kid was molested on Test Track last month for goodness sakes. Sorry, but I work in law enforcement and it drives me crazy that people are not more aware of their surroundings.

Uhhmmm... yes they are. It is a public place and their are thieves everywhere even at WDW. A family was riding behind us on the Safari ride and my wife turned around to see the little kid reaching for our camera bag. His dad was holding him over the seat. As soon as the ride was over they bolted. We told a CM but we don’t know if they were caught. Why do people think WDW is immune to bad people? Heck, a little kid was molested on Test Track last month for goodness sakes. Sorry, but I work in law enforcement and it drives me crazy that people are not more aware of their surroundings.
I'm well aware crime happens at Disney. Pick pocketing isn't one of those crimes. If it was, you'd hear people screaming about it all over the internet. Disney isn't Rome or Naples.

Yes, inconsistency seems to be the rule with parking with an AP. Now that the parking booths scan MagicBands, there seems to be no need to show the yellow Passholder card at parking and I can't recall needing to show that to the parking CM since they've been scanning the bands. I always have my band ready for scanning when approaching the parking booth and tell the CM I'm a passholder. Sometimes I get waved thru and sometimes scanned...might have been asked for ID on rare occasions. Sometimes they'll just ask if I'm my first name after the scan and wave me thru. It's totally varied...

Not everyone wears a MagicBand

I don't understand why you can't activate an AP online. It would save people a lot of time when they first get there by not having to go to Disney Springs or go to the ticket booth at the park on that first day. It should be a very easy process. Heck, if the pass won't begin its countdown until it is used to get into a park then why should they have to be activated at all? They should come activated and upon your first entrance to the park the countdown begins. I am sure they have their reasons.

They want to verify ID and either FL residency or DVC membership if you got a discount.

I'm well aware crime happens at Disney. Pick pocketing isn't one of those crimes. If it was, you'd hear people screaming about it all over the internet. Disney isn't Rome or Naples.
Wow. Really? I just gave you an example of someone trying to pick pocket my wife. But don’t worry, it doesn’t happen at WDW. Do you really think we were the only people they targeted? I actually talked with security when it happened and they even said that it happens more than you think. But go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand. I will keep putting my wallet in my front pocket.

We've never been asked for ID or to scan our band at the parking gate - I always hold up the yellow card and they wave me through. I HAVE been asked for ID when making purchases but it seems that more and more restaurants just take my word for it; I always offer the card for them to scan and they don't seem to ever want it. :confused3

Having AP only parking gates would rock, esp at MK. We always get behind the person that wants the parking attendant to also play travel agent and give them advice, info, and directions :rolleyes:

We've never been asked for ID or to scan our band at the parking gate - I always hold up the yellow card and they wave me through. I HAVE been asked for ID when making purchases but it seems that more and more restaurants just take my word for it; I always offer the card for them to scan and they don't seem to ever want it. :confused3

Having AP only parking gates would rock, esp at MK. We always get behind the person that wants the parking attendant to also play travel agent and give them advice, info, and directions :rolleyes:

I am going to try holding up the yellow card next trip and see what happens. We’ve never tried that. Even if it works 1/2 the time, it would save a few minutes.

Yellow card has worked most of the time for me - sometimes they stop to check the date, sometimes they ask for ID. Most of the time - just waved through. I feel like they tend to ask more when there's no line at parking - but I have been asked for ID first thing in the morning when everyone is streaming in. My guess is that the inconsistency is on purpose. Save time by not checking much of the time - but double check enough to keep folks from just giving their AP card to family and friends to skip parking fees on days the passholder isn't going to the parks. "Enough to keep us honest, enough to make us feel special"

I did the thing of paying for parking, getting a receipt, and asking for the refund when I activated my AP at Guest Relations outside a park this last time. It was one more transaction to do (I was also buying TiW) - but the CM didn't even blink an eye - it was clearly something he knew to do.

I have never had a band scanned or even asked to see my AP ... I just say AP holder and they wave me in .. I’m fl resident and go often and never been questioned parking .

It depends on the CM and the moment. I"ve been waved thru, there have been times where they scanned my band, and at other times I had to show my AP card and my photo ID. You just never know.

It depends on the CM and the moment. I"ve been waved thru, there have been times where they scanned my band, and at other times I had to show my AP card and my photo ID. You just never know.

Exactly... they just can’t get consistent for anything ... on any subject really ... I watch people go back and forth on a subject .. saying “ this” definitely doesn’t happen yet it’s literally up in the air on anything depending on who you deal with .. lol

I visit the parks 3 times a week and can tell you that it is very inconsistent. But I have seen a pattern. DHS and MK show yellow card most of the time they wave me through without asking for ID, AK show yellow card sometimes they ask for ID, Epcot show yellow card most of the time they ask for ID

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!