Annual Passholder Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbodisney

Earning My Ears
I am super confused about how my annual pass is going to work. If my pass was to expire March 30, 2020, was that extended at all because of the closure? I have had already bought a renewal pass but of course it is not yet activated. Just curious if anyone has seen any change with their current pass. Thanks.

I am super confused about how my annual pass is going to work. If my pass was to expire March 30, 2020, was that extended at all because of the closure? I have had already bought a renewal pass but of course it is not yet activated. Just curious if anyone has seen any change with their current pass. Thanks.
"Normally," an AP RENEWAL keeps the same anniversary date (end date) as the previous AP. That's what makes them a "renewal" (of the previous AP.)
And, they are automatically "activated" on the anniversary date of the previous AP.
However, as far as I can determine, since some current AP's (yours included) end dates have been extended, your AP renewal should begin its year of use period when APs become available for use after the parks reopen.

Last edited:
"Normally," an AP RENEWAL keeps the same anniversary date (end date) as the previous AP. That's what makes them a "renewal" (of the previous AP.)
And, they are automatically "activated" on the anniversary date of the previous AP.
However, since some current AP's end dates have been extended, your AP renewal should begin its year of use when APs become available for use after the parks reopen.

Does that mean the OP's pass overlaps? no new expiration?

I have a December 18 expiration but the CM said my new "voucher" expires on December 08. Since I am going to have to activate it at guest services anyway, I am going to try and just buy a "new" pass using the amount I paid for my renewal voucher. Because: a.) how can you just take 10 days from me, b.) I haven't been able to use the renewal this year and so I have already lost almost 5 months and c.) who know when the park will be open and why have a pass that even if it gets extended by ever how many days the parks are closed- said pass has to be renewed at original expiration ????? and so I am really not getting an extension

1. Does that mean the OP's pass overlaps? no new expiration?

I have a December 18 expiration but
2. the CM said my new "voucher" expires on December 08.
3. Since I am going to have to activate it at guest services anyway, I am going to try and just buy a "new" pass using the amount I paid for my renewal voucher. Because: a.) how can you just take 10 days from me, b.) I haven't been able to use the renewal this year and so I have already lost almost 5 months and
c.) who know when the park will be open and why have a pass that even if it gets extended by ever how many days the parks are closed- said pass has to be renewed at original expiration ????? and so I am really not getting an extension
1. As far as I can determine, since some current AP's end dates have been extended, an AP renewal for those APs should begin its year of use period when APs become available for use after the parks reopen.
2. What new voucher? Why Dec. 8?
3. That should work.
b.) Disney may very well "work with you" on some compensation for that situation.
c.) Those kind of complications will very likely be addressed after things return to (somewhat) normal.
Count on a lot of folks having "unique" complications.
Right now, I would not count on getting very much ACCURATE info regarding exactly what will and will not be possible in the upcoming months.

I have a December 18 expiration but the CM said my new "voucher" expires on December 08. Since I am going to have to activate it at guest services anyway, I am going to try and just buy a "new" pass using the amount I paid for my renewal voucher. Because: a.) how can you just take 10 days from me, b.) I haven't been able to use the renewal this year and so I have already lost almost 5 months and c.) who know when the park will be open and why have a pass that even if it gets extended by ever how many days the parks are closed- said pass has to be renewed at original expiration ????? and so I am really not getting an extension
I think I answered you on another thread. I'm still a little unclear whether you actually "renewed" your AP with a renewal discount in December, or if you simply paid full value for a new AP voucher.
  • A "renewal" uses a discount and (under normal circumstances) extends your AP expiration date by exactly 12 months.
  • A new "voucher" is full priced and allows you to start a new AP 12-month clock on your own schedule.
At expiration time, it's your choice which to do. If you aren't going to use the AP for 5 months after expiration date, I don't recommend doing a "renewal" but instead hold those funds and buy a new AP which will activate on your next visit and be good for 12 months from then. If you didn't realize this, and renewed in December but expected to start a new 12-month clock - maybe you can speak with WDW about an adjustment. It's worth a call to ask.

As to the Dec. 8 vs Dec. 18th - sounds like misinformation from the CM; I suggest you forget the CM ever said this because it's not accurate and nobody took 10 days from you. A new AP "voucher" doesn't expire until at least 2030 and can be activated at any point you so choose. An AP "renewal" is already essentially active but due to the closure WDW will give an extension for the number of days the parks remain closed. We don't have that number yet, but at this point it appears to be at least 6 weeks (presumably closed thru May 9th based on park hours posted). That will tack onto your Dec. 18, 2020 expiration, pushing the AP into early 2021 before it expires.

I think I answered you on another thread. I'm still a little unclear whether you actually "renewed" your AP with a renewal discount in December, or if you simply paid full value for a new AP voucher.
  • A "renewal" uses a discount and (under normal circumstances) extends your AP expiration date by exactly 12 months.
  • A new "voucher" is full priced and allows you to start a new AP 12-month clock on your own schedule.
At expiration time, it's your choice which to do. If you aren't going to use the AP for 5 months after expiration date, I don't recommend doing a "renewal" but instead hold those funds and buy a new AP which will activate on your next visit and be good for 12 months from then. If you didn't realize this, and renewed in December but expected to start a new 12-month clock - maybe you can speak with WDW about an adjustment. It's worth a call to ask.

As to the Dec. 8 vs Dec. 18th - sounds like misinformation from the CM; I suggest you forget the CM ever said this because it's not accurate and nobody took 10 days from you. A new AP "voucher" doesn't expire until at least 2030 and can be activated at any point you so choose. An AP "renewal" is already essentially active but due to the closure WDW will give an extension for the number of days the parks remain closed. We don't have that number yet, but at this point it appears to be at least 6 weeks (presumably closed thru May 9th based on park hours posted). That will tack onto your Dec. 18, 2020 expiration, pushing the AP into early 2021 before it expires.

RENEWED in 2019. My first AP was in December 2018-platinum pass. Renewed in 2019 to Gold pass since we became DVC Members. idk why are expiration date changed since our very first pass started on December 2018.

Correct. My voucher says 2030 expiration.

I think the next time i get an AP, I will just get a new one and not a renewal. Why? Because our trips tend to be Summer, Sept/Oct., and December.
Thanks!!!

RENEWED in 2019. My first AP was in December 2018-platinum pass. Renewed in 2019 to Gold pass since we became DVC Members. idk why are expiration date changed since our very first pass started on December 2018.

I think the next time i get an AP, I will just get a new one and not a renewal. Why? Because our trips tend to be Summer, Sept/Oct., and December.
Thanks!!!

Why would you want to pay full price for a new AP every year instead of just sticking with the renewal? The only reason I could see for skipping a renewal would be if you expected to not be at Disney more than once over a full 12 month period. As long as you're going at least twice a year, the AP seems to make sense to keep going.

Thanks!!!
I'm so confused. Either you renewed, in which case you paid the renewal price (lower than the full price) and have a December 2020 expiration date *or* you did NOT renew, instead you purchased a *new* Gold pass (at a non-renewal rate) in December 2019 and have a voucher that will be active a year from first use, whenever that is. There is no way to renew and have a pass that the clock has not started.

I'm so confused.
I think I figured it out that the PP has a new voucher. Since she originally had a Platinum AP, and changed to a Gold AP at renewal time, the "renewal" seemed to be less expensive but was not actually at the discounted renewal rate and not processed as a renewal of the original AP. Hence, the voucher that expires in 2030. It seems to have worked out well in her favor this time because of the closure, so the clock won't start on her Gold AP until she is actually at WDW and activates it - whether that is June or September or December or whenever. But she won't get an extension for the closure since she will have a full 12 months from activation. The CM caused added confusion with incorrect info about the expiration date.

I think I figured it out that the PP has a new voucher. Since she originally had a Platinum AP, and changed to a Gold AP at renewal time, the "renewal" seemed to be less expensive but was not actually at the discounted renewal rate and not processed as a renewal of the original AP. Hence, the voucher that expires in 2030. It seems to have worked out well in her favor this time because of the closure, so the clock won't start on her Gold AP until she is actually at WDW and activates it - whether that is June or September or December or whenever. But she won't get an extension for the closure since she will have a full 12 months from activation. The CM caused added confusion with incorrect info about the expiration date.
My OCD brain thanks you for figuring that out. :worship: It makes complete sense.

My annual pass expired March 30th as well.

I called to see if my expiration date would stay the same (refund), reset to whenever they re-open again, or if it would reset to December (my next trip). The call was long, and I talked with at least 3 cast members. Long story short, they recommended I wait until a further email or website post explains what can be done. This is because my certificate hasn't been activated yet, so the refund would only apply to my pass that expired in March. They were not sure how the certificate would apply or if it could be partially refunded as well.

Basically, just wait longer was the answer. I hope this saves a very long phone call.
However, as far as I can determine, since some current AP's (yours included) end dates have been extended, your AP renewal should begin its year of use period when APs become available for use after the parks reopen.

My annual pass expired March 30th as well.

I called to see if my expiration date would stay the same (refund), reset to whenever they re-open again, or if it would reset to December (my next trip). The call was long, and I talked with at least 3 cast members. Long story short, they recommended I wait until a further email or website post explains what can be done. This is because my certificate hasn't been activated yet, so the refund would only apply to my pass that expired in March. They were not sure how the certificate would apply or if it could be partially refunded as well.

Basically, just wait longer was the answer. I hope this saves a very long phone call.

If I'm right in remembering that they closed on the 16th, then you basically have 14 days left on your AP. So, you can either apply for a refund, in which case they'll pay you back for those unused 14 days, or you can take the extension, which means that you'll have 14 days to use when park re-opens. If you take the extension, then your new renewal anniversary would be 14 days after the parks reopen then. So, if they open on the June 1st, your new renewal date would be June 14th. Going forward, you'll be paying the renewal rate for June 14th to June 14th, if you go this way.

Since the scenario is unprecedented, I don't know what they would do about your renewal, if you wanted to take the refund. If you take the refund, you'll be refunded for the 14 days before your pass expired, then either of these might happen:
1) They renew you with the March 30th date, and you pay full price for the renewal.
2) They renew you with the March 30th date, and you get a refund on that AP as well, for the number of days between March 30th and park open date.
3) The renew you on the Park opening day, and that is your new renewal date going forward.
4) They consider you as non-renewed, and you start a new AP on the day of your Dec trip, apply what you already applied to the renewal towards the new AP, and you're responsible to pay the difference.
5) They consider you as non-renewed, and you start a new AP on the day of your Dec trip, apply what you already applied to the renewal towards the new AP, and they don't make you pay the difference.

Considering you were looking to do a renewal anyways, I'd recommend you just take the extension, as the safer bet. The only thing the refund seems to guarantee for you would be to get back 14/366th of your AP fee, which at the current price of $1272.68 works out to $48.17 (though probably less, as that's based on the current price, not the price you paid a year ago).

Definitely less since I'm DVC and it was already renewal.

Thanks for the info. That's more than the CMs could provide.

If this is the case then that is wonderful. Just to be clear to all.... First AP December 2018-platinum pass. Renewal in December 2019 but renew to GOLD AP. They let me get the Gold AP at the renewal price since I was already a passholder and eligible for renewal. As I mentioned before, my adult daughter also got the Gold AP since she was living with us but she activated her "renewal voucher" in January 2020. Her expiration is December 2020 - They DID NOT give her a NEW expiration since her ORIGINAL AP (also Platinum) was bought in December 2018.

edit to add screen shot of the "renewal"

Attachments

• Document.pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
If this is the case then that is wonderful. Just to be clear to all.... First AP December 2018-platinum pass. Renewal in December 2019 but renew to GOLD AP. They let me get the Gold AP at the renewal price since I was already a passholder and eligible for renewal. As I mentioned before, my adult daughter also got the Gold AP since she was living with us but she activated her "renewal voucher" in January 2020. Her expiration is December 2020 - They DID NOT give her a NEW expiration since her ORIGINAL AP (also Platinum) was bought in December 2018.

This is what we are all trying to explain/understand.

A "renewal voucher" does not need activation. IF it is truly a renewal, the renewed AP retains the same expiration date, one year later. It's seamless.

So the fact that you have a Gold AP showing in your MDE with a 2030 expiration date means that you did not renew, you bought new. If you did pay the renewal price, then you got some major pixie dust (or a confused CM that inadverdantly granted you said pixie dust).

This is what we are all trying to explain/understand.

A "renewal voucher" does not need activation. IF it is truly a renewal, the renewed AP retains the same expiration date, one year later. It's seamless.

So the fact that you have a Gold AP showing in your MDE with a 2030 expiration date means that you did not renew, you bought new. If you did pay the renewal price, then you got some major pixie dust (or a confused CM that inadverdantly granted you said pixie dust).

Attachments

• Document.pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 14
So, my pass expires May 10th. Because of this, I couldn't make fastpasses for my June trip. Disney said they'll give us an extension but it makes sense that they can't do that in their computer system without knowing the end date yet, or that it's too difficult for Disney IT to bother with right now. A CM on the phone told me (and I'm honestly not super sure this is correct) that what I needed to do was renew my AP now. He said I would NOT be charged for it (???) until the parks had a reopening date but that this would allow me to book fastpasses for my June trip. Now, that makes zero sense to me because when I pull up the renewal form it says like $1080 due now and asks for my CC. I'm also slightly hesitant to renew because my AP expires while the park is closed....will I get the extra time added to my "renewed" pass? My account says it will activate May 10th.

Basically I don't know anything haha.

You could buy standard tickets to cover the days of your upcoming trip.
Book FPs based on those tickets.
Then, when your trip happens, you can apply the value of those tickets to a new AP
(or a renewal) based on whatever rules finally shake out.

So, my pass expires May 10th. Because of this, I couldn't make fastpasses for my June trip. Disney said they'll give us an extension but it makes sense that they can't do that in their computer system without knowing the end date yet, or that it's too difficult for Disney IT to bother with right now. A CM on the phone told me (and I'm honestly not super sure this is correct) that what I needed to do was renew my AP now. He said I would NOT be charged for it (???) until the parks had a reopening date but that this would allow me to book fastpasses for my June trip. Now, that makes zero sense to me because when I pull up the renewal form it says like $1080 due now and asks for my CC. I'm also slightly hesitant to renew because my AP expires while the park is closed....will I get the extra time added to my "renewed" pass? My account says it will activate May 10th.

I used the Chat function on the website today and spoke to someone immediately. I explained the situation (our AP expire on 5/23 and we have a 6/14-6/16 trip planned). She was able to put in a “key card” for the dates we are onsite in order to book FP for June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter