Another 3 night cruise question!

JARNJ3

DIS Veteran
We are booked on the Dream in May that is going to Nassau and Castway Cay.

We're thinking of no port excursion - just hanging out on the ship. I've read that this is a good idea, as it won't be too crowded - then I've read that many people are doing this and the ship will be crowded. :)

Anyone have any recent experience with this?

Also - with only one day for Palo Brunch - I'm presuming it will be virtually impossible to book?

We have stayed on the Wonder in Nassau in the past (5+ years ago) and hang out up on deck. It was not too bad crowds wise, but we were two adults and the pool was just for a quick dip every now and again (it was a perfect day: light breeze, sunny and 87 degrees). Even if the ship was crowded, I would prefer that to Nassau.

Unless you are at the Platinum Castaway Club level, you probably will NOT be able to book a Palo Brunch on line at your "scramble to book everything" day. But in the weeks leading up to your Pay In Full date, and after the PIF date you might be able to snag a brunch spot. As a last resort, there's always going to the "dining" (Palo) changes area on embarkation day to see if you can get a spot or be added to a wait list.

Have Fun and GOOD LUCK

We have stayed on the Wonder in Nassau in the past (5+ years ago) and hang out up on deck. It was not too bad crowds wise, but we were two adults and the pool was just for a quick dip every now and again (it was a perfect day: light breeze, sunny and 87 degrees). Even if the ship was crowded, I would prefer that to Nassau.

Unless you are at the Platinum Castaway Club level, you probably will NOT be able to book a Palo Brunch on line at your "scramble to book everything" day. But in the weeks leading up to your Pay In Full date, and after the PIF date you might be able to snag a brunch spot. As a last resort, there's always going to the "dining" (Palo) changes area on embarkation day to see if you can get a spot or be added to a wait list.

Have Fun and GOOD LUCK
All good advise here ^^^^^. Never say never on brunch..........if you go to Palo before they open up to let loose extra reservations, you might can get a spot.

We stay on board and enjoy the ship when it is in Nassau. It is not too crowded and it is a good day to enjoy the pools and the food on the pool deck. Palo Brunch is amazing and if you cannot book a reservation on line go to Palo as soon as you get on board and request a brunch time. If they have no reservation spots left they will place you on a wait list. They do have cancellations and you may get a spot for brunch.

We are booked on the Dream in May that is going to Nassau and Castway Cay.

We're thinking of no port excursion - just hanging out on the ship. I've read that this is a good idea, as it won't be too crowded - then I've read that many people are doing this and the ship will be crowded. :)

Anyone have any recent experience with this?

Also - with only one day for Palo Brunch - I'm presuming it will be virtually impossible to book?

While I can understand the wish to stay on the ship during Nassau Day (however, don't expect an empty ship as less and less people are getting off the ship in Nassau these days), IMO you'd be missing out by staying on the ship on Castaway Cay day. Castaway Cay is absolutely lovely.

I don't know your cruising history, but I would not miss out on Castaway Cay! We're finally cruising DCL again, but out of Cali, so I'm bummed that Castaway Cay will not be a part of our experience. It's a pretty nice place!

Unless you are at the Platinum Castaway Club level, you probably will NOT be able to book a Palo Brunch on line at your "scramble to book everything" day.
Strongly disagree with this. It is so variable between cruises. On our last Dream cruise in May, we had everything except cabanas available at Silver check-in, and a month before sailing you still had Palo Brunch reservations available and Palo/Remy dinner options on every day.
If you are going on a Panama Canal, or Southern cruise that attracts many repeat cruisers, it is not uncommon for everything to fill up quickly. When you are on a Dream cruise that typically has a higher percentage of first time cruisers, you've got a higher chance of getting reservations. Not saying you will get it, but there is no reason to assume you won't on this itinerary.

We stayed on at Nassau in March. The ship won't be empty but I wouldn't call it crowded, in between. We did the princess meet and greets and BBB after some pool time. Our attitude was we paid all this money for the cruise so we wanted to enjoy what we paid for. At CC the ship was emptier. We got off for a couple hours but the water was freezing and my daughter wasn't enjoying it so she asked to get back on the ship. We haven't decided for our next cruise (a 4 night) but I'm leaning toward getting off for a short time at Nassau just to see it a little and maybe waiting until later in the day at CC...or do bikes or walk around before trying to get in the water.

I’ve cruised a lot (well for someone my age) and Nassau was a one and done port. With the high cost of Disney cruises I think it’s worthwhile to stay onboard and enjoy the ship if you’ve not got a sea day (which is normal for a 3 night). Castaway Cay is beautiful and definitely worth getting off the ship. You can return to the ship easily at any time during the day if you need decide you’re done or the weather is bad so definitely worth getting off at Castaway Cay.

The Dream 3-night cruises definitely seem to have fewer cruisers with high castaway club status. In my experience, there was plenty available to book for first time cruisers on the Dream.

It WILL be crowded on the ship on Nassau day. But it is still very enjoyable, and with a three day cruise you do not get much of a chance to enjoy the ship so I prefer to stay onboard. CC is definitely worth visiting for part of the day, but we often do it as a half day, and that day the ship really is empty until around 3pm or so.

Strongly disagree with this. It is so variable between cruises. On our last Dream cruise in May, we had everything except cabanas available at Silver check-in, and a month before sailing you still had Palo Brunch reservations available and Palo/Remy dinner options on every day.
If you are going on a Panama Canal, or Southern cruise that attracts many repeat cruisers, it is not uncommon for everything to fill up quickly. When you are on a Dream cruise that typically has a higher percentage of first time cruisers, you've got a higher chance of getting reservations. Not saying you will get it, but there is no reason to assume you won't on this itinerary.

Thanks for the hope! I've only been on one DCL cruise - it was an 8 night Med one. There were two sea days - could not snag a Palo brunch reservation, even after being put on the waitlist. As you suggest that Med cruise was like 80-90% filled with repeat cruisers. So I will try to reserve on booking day - and waitlist again if nothing is available. You never know......

We were able to book Palo dinner ahead of schedule - but I'm more of a brunch fan :)

I’ve cruised a lot (well for someone my age) and Nassau was a one and done port. With the high cost of Disney cruises I think it’s worthwhile to stay onboard and enjoy the ship if you’ve not got a sea day (which is normal for a 3 night). Castaway Cay is beautiful and definitely worth getting off the ship. You can return to the ship easily at any time during the day if you need decide you’re done or the weather is bad so definitely worth getting off at Castaway Cay.

Thanks for the advice. I've been to Nassau many years ago from a Carnival Cruise - and I concur its a one and done.

Looking forward to seeing Castaway Cay - not sure if I will stay the whole day there - I'm not a beach person - but I would like to check it out :)

And passes for the Rainforest Room are pretty cool too.

I wasn't impressed with the Rainforest Room! I thought it was too dark, and seeing as I was in the Med - I thought I should lounge on deck & look at the ocean! ;)

We always stay on the ship when we are at Nassau. It's not super busy on the ship and we definitely prefer it to visiting the port...

I wasn't impressed with the Rainforest Room! I thought it was too dark, and seeing as I was in the Med - I thought I should lounge on deck & look at the ocean! ;)

Which ship were you on? The Rainforest Room from the Dream has jacuzzis and big windows. Lots of light.

The Magic. It was soooo small.
BIG differences between the classic ships (Magic/Wonder) and dream class (Dream/Fantasy) in terms of rainforest rooms. On the dream, the sauna has a window out to the ocean and the heated loungers and hot tubs are on a deck type area with floor to ceiling views.

BIG differences between the classic ships (Magic/Wonder) and dream class (Dream/Fantasy) in terms of rainforest rooms. On the dream, the sauna has a window out to the ocean and the heated loungers and hot tubs are on a deck type area with floor to ceiling views.

Thanks - maybe I'll check it out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter