Another 'Facebook' thread.

OP, I can see where you're coming from and you have every right to swear off Facebook, Twitter, GMail, Google, Android phones, and indeed the DIS. Sadly we are targeted everywhere we go these days.

what is creepy tracking - is when your frequent shopper grocery store account alerts you that your favorite snack is on sale, and by the way, you are almost out. Checking the pantry - you find out they are correct!!

I’m haven’t jumped on board with the Alexa thing yet. I know that little crap is listening, I also know it’s kind of cool, but it’s a line I haven’t been able to cross yet.

This reminds of a college computer course I took probably 20 yrs ago. We had to build a website, I did and the professor fussed at me for giving to much info, like my general area of residence. I’m like my name and actual address are in the phone book. He looked befuddled.

Surely the OP understands that their behavior is also being tracked through their participation here on the DIS, right? Ads that pop up, topics that are searched, etc. Every website does this to some degree. I love the paranoia because while the focus is on "big bad Gmail/facebook/Google/Amazon", almost ANY website does this. Forums like this don't exist for funsies. They are made possible through advertisements, and those advertisers acquire that information with every move you make online. The only way to avoid that type of tracking is to not use the internet at all - not even email.

Surely the OP understands that their behavior is also being tracked through their participation here on the DIS, right? Ads that pop up, topics that are searched, etc. Every website does this to some degree. I love the paranoia because while the focus is on "big bad Gmail/facebook/Google/Amazon", almost ANY website does this. Forums like this don't exist for funsies. They are made possible through advertisements, and those advertisers acquire that information with every move you make online. The only way to avoid that type of tracking is to not use the internet at all - not even email.
It appears that she does not realize that.

My employer requires me to have a Facebook page, so I have no choice if I want a job. But it is interesting how quickly people I haven't seen in decades found me and sent friend requests.
Facebook is full of drama, but it is also a way many public agencies now communicate with the public and the media.

My employer requires me to have a Facebook page, so I have no choice if I want a job. But it is interesting how quickly people I haven't seen in decades found me and sent friend requests.
Facebook is full of drama, but it is also a way many public agencies now communicate with the public and the media.

We also require our staff to have a Facebook account, but there are a few that didn’t want to use their private information so we made them a new email address exclusively for Facebook, don’t require them to post a photo or anything or even their full name etc., they just need an account to be members of our company groups. It’s just the way we communicate internally.

We also require our staff to have a Facebook account, but there are a few that didn’t want to use their private information so we made them a new email address exclusively for Facebook, don’t require them to post a photo or anything or even their full name etc., they just need an account to be members of our company groups. It’s just the way we communicate internally.
Yes. Many of our on air folks maintain a "professional" and a "personal" Facebook page. The professional under their First and Last Name, the personal under their First and Middle names.

I do not, and will not, do Facebook.
I have needed to make a contact with somebody who only seemed to have Facebook contact, only ONCE... I used another person's facebook account.

Here is why....
Not only do I totally NOT need all of everyone's private social drama...
Not only do I want to maintain my own privacy....
Get this..... Facebook is tracking us, even if we do not have an account and have never used Facebook before.
So, doesn't matter.... they can be tracking me anyhow.

I have always had a problem with Facebook... Always had a problem with this....
Here is the link: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/facebook-apos-tracking-non-users-124727446.html

"Thus, the survey reveals that even if you have never entered the Facebook domain, Facebook is still able to follow your browsing behavior without you knowing it, let alone, without you wanting it, thanks to these invisible pixels that Facebook has placed on more than 10,000 other sites."

It's very interesting that you participate on a message board and, really, use the internet at all with this attitude.

Maybe it's just me, but my ads on The DIS have nothing to do with my browsing history. Either they're triggered by a keyword used in the thread I'm currently reading or they are completely out of nowhere for things I've never searched for in my life, like for E Trade and men's underwear. :confused3 This thread is giving me an ad right now that's about used car sales. I've never looked up anything about cars.

Not gonna lie, the stories about ads popping up just from talking about stuff when your device is nearby do kind of freak me out a little, if it's not just a coincidence. It gives me kind of a skeevy 1984-ish vibe.

Maybe it's just me, but my ads on The DIS have nothing to do with my browsing history. Either they're triggered by a keyword used in the thread I'm currently reading or they are completely out of nowhere for things I've never searched for in my life, like for E Trade and men's underwear. :confused3 This thread is giving me an ad right now that's about used car sales. I've never looked up anything about cars.

Not gonna lie, the stories about ads popping up just from talking about stuff when your device is nearby do kind of freak me out a little, if it's not just a coincidence. It gives me kind of a skeevy 1984-ish vibe.

I was getting the car ads this morning right after I clicked open the old thread about totaled cars. Now I'm getting an ad for a printing company but I'm at work and it's a local ad so that may be why. My browsing history is different here.

No doubt ads are related to your history though. The amount of tennis shoe ads I get is very closely related to my comfy shoe obsession.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!