Another International Air Question

amberwc

Mouseketeer
So looking at our options: we can go through Charles De Galle, London Heathrow, Amsterdam, Frankfort, and maybe Munich.
Which of the above would you choose as a "fly-through" airport & why? I've flown into 3 of the 5 years ago before children and a husband, so I am looking for what you liked or hate on each one.

TIA!

I really like Amsterdam. It was easy and organized but I flew through there many years ago on the way to Paris. CDG is a nightmare. Heathrow is a nice airport to be stuck in but lots of people have been stuck there recently!

Have only been through Charles de Galle and into (not through) Heathrow, so I can't comment on the others. But I *can* say AVOID CHARLES DE GALLE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!! Horrid, horrid, horrid airport!! Among other things, they are the only airport that neglected to put my suitcase on the next flight with me, out of all the European airports I've been through...

Sayhello

Last edited:
Amsterdam's airport is lovely, and so is Munich's. I've changed planes in Amsterdam and flown in/out of Munich. I don't have a preference between them, but they were both rather easy to navigate.

I've changed planes in both Charles De Gaulle and London Heathrow and did not enjoy the experience at either. CDG had extremely long lines, and I did not consider LHR user friendly at all.

I have not been to Frankfurt's airport.

Enjoy your trip!!!

I flew to Amsterdam as a final destination last summer and have changed planes there several times in recent years. It was always very easy to navigate - no confusion or long lines. I've flown out of Munich, which seemed like a nice airport. No issues there either, but I only have the one experience and no experience with a layover.

So looking at our options: we can go through Charles De Galle, London Heathrow, Amsterdam, Frankfort, and maybe Munich.
Which of the above would you choose as a "fly-through" airport & why? I've flown into 3 of the 5 years ago before children and a husband, so I am looking for what you liked or hate on each one.

TIA!

Please fill in some more info on your flights .... from where & to where .... Why

If you book a through ticket to final destination using one of the above airports will the airline be the same co.?

Delta co share with ?, Aer Lingus with KLM etc.

Then your connection times will work.

BUT if you fly Say Delta to ? & then use Ryanair then connection times may not work .

It would be like me using Aer Lingus , from Dublin , to JFK and then transferring to Frontier to take

me to Orlando.

Therefore Think your flight plan through carefully.

Now to Airports

We Fly from Cork to Amsterdam at least 3 times a year

We have flown into Munich several times as we use it as a start for driving into Austria , Italy, & France.

Heathrow is a nightmare for connecting flights using different Terminals .

Charles De Gaulle not flown into this airport for at least 44 years ...... but again it works.

Another Airport to think about is Dusseldorf Airport in Germany ... A good airport

So 1st Choice is Amsterdam ( AND DUBLIN ..... Aer Lingus )

2nd Choice is Munich

3rd Choice is Dusseldorf

4th Choice is Toulouse ( S. France )

5th Choice is Heathrow

NOTE Different Currency needed for Heathrow .

NOTE .. USA persons will have a different Passport entry line than European Passport Holders

~~# Amsterdam Arrivals & Departures are on the SAME Level . ( No Stairs )

Yes there could be a 10 to 15 min walk or more . from gate to gate

I have flown through all of those except Munich. Amsterdam and Frankfurt are both well marked and easy to navigate. Heathrow is too big and harder to get around. I agree with others to avoid CDG!

Frankfurt and Heathrow were very nice and easy to navigate. CDG was horrible. People say Munich is good, but the terminal gate we were at had no services and only a vending machine that took Euros. (we had given all our extra euros to our guides!) I had wanted to pick up some last minute little souvenirs & some water and thought I'd be able to after security.

I can't comment on the others, but we had a connection through Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago and found it pretty easy to navigate. Our only challenge was finding where to go for our connection. Once we figured out where we were headed, it was easy. Lots of signage and staff were all helpful. We had to walk from what seemed like one end of the airport to the other, and were able to do so in about 20 min. Passport control was quick. Our connection time was 90 minutes which after passport control and checking in, left us with enough time to grab a snack from a coffee shop before boarding our second flight. It's a nice airport with lots of cute shops - I was wishing I had more time!

Last edited:
If you are using any of the above Airports as Transfer Then MAKE SURE that your Luggage

Is Tagged to Final Destination ( NO Need to collect Luggage & re check )

In Amsterdam there are Free ( Smallish ) Hand carts for Hand luggage , for those long walks.

For those needing Assistance then you will be collected & brought to you gate

PROVIDED YOU HAVE ARRANGED this at your Boarding Check In in USA .

The above applies to the other airports .........

Thanks all. There are so many options, and due to your advice, I think we are avoiding CDG at ALL costs, also steering away from LHR. In my research this weekend, I also discovered an option of going through Madrid. No matter how we get there, we're going to have 2 stops one in the US, and one in Europe. I'm researching seat size on each plane on seatguru.com (seriously great site).
Any help on best airport for customs still appreciated! I think I'll be booking for June 2018 in the next week as we are planning on using points.

Thanks all. There are so many options, and due to your advice, I think we are avoiding CDG at ALL costs, also steering away from LHR. In my research this weekend, I also discovered an option of going through Madrid. No matter how we get there, we're going to have 2 stops one in the US, and one in Europe. I'm researching seat size on each plane on seatguru.com (seriously great site).
Any help on best airport for customs still appreciated! I think I'll be booking for June 2018 in the next week as we are planning on using points.
We just flew out of Madrid last month - very pleasant. No hassles!

One more thing to consider- we often find it much less expensive to book rt to a hub airport in Europe and then a separate booking to our final destination. This is especially true for ABDs where you start and end in different cities. For example, we did a rt ticket from US to LHR on AA, then a separate BA ticket to Rome and back to LHR from Venice. Saved over $1k, even counting one night hotel at LHR on the way home.

This works best if you have plenty of time, such as maybe spend a night (or two!) in London, which allows flight margin plus helps with jet lag. But we've done it all one continuous trip as well, just allowed plenty of layover time in case of delays. You do have to deal with bags, and if you have a problem with your US flight they can't help with you other reservations. But depending on your budget and time, it's an idea worth checking.

Amberwc,

Where is your final Destination ?

Where are you starting From ?

Security is common in All Airports

### Dublin has Customs ( & Immigration for us Europeans ) AFTER Security

in an area only for USA bound aircraft .... so small Q .

So you arrive in U.S.A. as a Domestic Passenger.

#### Dublin is the only airport in Europe that has this facility .

Amberwc,

Where is your final Destination ?

Where are you starting From ?
We are starting from PHX, or ABQ going to PRG, coming home from MUC after the ABD.
It looks like United has the most options for traveling Iberia, Swiss, or Luftansa. Because there are so many options, that's why I'm looking for the airport reviews. I did see Air Lingus, but the connections don't work as well for us. Also, I don't want to torture DH with landing in Dublin and not being able to stay there :tiptoe:

Had a choice of Heathrow or DeGaulle. Heathrow is ok. Long layover, like 9 hours, so might be going into London on the tube. Yes we will have to go through security again on the way back in.

DeGaulle is a terrible airport.

We flew into CDG on the way to DLP in 2015...with no trouble! We had EZShuttle take us to DLP and return us to CDG to catch a flight to Prague to start the Central Europe ABD.

That said, the next month baggage handlers were on Strike at CDG.

We're flying out of there in Sept and after reading this Thread, hoping it goes smoothly!

We got it all booked this weekend! We booked 10 1/2 months ahead! We are going through Amsterdam/Schipol on Delta/KLM. One hangup we ran into was that there weren't enough "mileage" tickets on any KLM flight from AMS to Prague, so we had to buy that portion and use miles on the rest.
For anyone looking at a KLM and trying to use miles or points, be aware it may not work.
All told for business class it cost us just under 200k points, and $500 per person.
My parents booked on BA through LHR, with 3 hours in LHR each way. They were able to book 1st class on American Express Platinum points -- it really pays off not to use your points for a few years, and to run every expense possible through that one card!
So glad to have this part done, I'm now shelving planning on this trip until January. We have a WDW trip in October and our FP window is opening soon. Then Christmas and all the chaos.
Thanks for all the advice.

Well done Amberwc.

Things to know about Amsterdam airport ( I was there on Monday).

The Arrivals & Departures are on one level ..... But a lot of walking ( Could be up to 20 min )

Shortly after arriving onto terminal building there will be free smallish push carts for hand luggage .

If Mobility issues are a problem make sure this is made aware to Delta / KLM

Wheel chair or other transport WILL be given Free .

DUTY FREE Shopping ( And there is a large shopping area ) is only for OUTWARD bound Flights

OUT of Europe . ( Yes for USA )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter