Another lovely day in Oklahoma. . .

Nice vacation pics Mackenzie, looks like a very nice trip! Did you detect a huge difference between the low-end rum and the expensive stuff? Pretty sure I've never had anything beyond just the basic stuff. If I ever go there I'll be sure to remember your story and take it easy on the cheap stuff so I can polish off the high end product.:teeth:

Nice vacation pics Mackenzie, looks like a very nice trip! Did you detect a huge difference between the low-end rum and the expensive stuff? Pretty sure I've never had anything beyond just the basic stuff. If I ever go there I'll be sure to remember your story and take it easy on the cheap stuff so I can polish off the high end product.:teeth:
The basic stuff was comprised of rum that had been aged for at least 3 to 4 years and is one that you add stuff to it. The example they gave was adding in Pespi lol...though we here would be more likely to add Coca-Cola (as in Rum and Coke). The mid range we tasted was comprised of rum that had been aged for at least 6 years and was something you were more likely to add juice and other stuff to though your standard Rum Punch concoction would be more likely to have the lower end stuff. The tour guide explained that in Jamaica it was common to add coconut water to the mid-range one. The more expensive stuff that we personally tasted was comprised of rum that had been aged for at least 12 years and was a strictly sipping rum meaning nothing added to it, sipped over time to savor the flavor and large ice cubes only (to as not to water the rum down).

As for detecting a difference yup. The low end burned more on your throat, the mid-range smoother and the higher one very smooth. The smells were also different so different notes of vanilla, cocoa, citrus, etc. There's other stuff too that would probably bore you lol. The 'expensive one' still wasn't uber terrible in costs. They did say they recently sold 50 year rum (meaning there were rums mixed together that had been aged for at least 50 years) collection and I can't remember the size but it was $5,000 US dollars! They have rum currently in barrels that they will open in 2062 that will have rums in it aged between 50 and 100 years!! I can't even imagine the cost there.

What I thought was quite interesting is they actually use American Bourbon barrels to age their rum.

Sorry I'm rambling again haha :o

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson, I love the pics!

I'm up next!

I wish to pose a question. Humour me! :)

So... recently I viewed an All in the family rerun. It involved Archie waking Mike and wanting him to dress quickly. Archie was miffed as to how Mike dressed! So.. got me thinking. How do YOU put your socks and shoes on?

Both socks first, then both shoes or One sock, one shoe, then dress the other foot.
Yeah, it's been quiet around here! :duck:

:laughing: Both socks first - as soon as I get dressed, then both shoes later - just before I leave the house. My feet run cold, so I almost always have socks or slippers on at home!

It has been a busy day on this thread! What fun to come back home to all of this!

@PollyannaMom, it sounds like you're staying busy now that school has resumed. We've been grey here, too, but I LOVE the cooler temps. I'm definitely already in the "I love fall" mode. Good luck with all of the college stuff for your son. I seem to remember your WDW trip will be around Christmas. Is that right? We'll be there the first week. I wish our trips overlapped! If they ever do, I'd love to meet up with you to say hi in person.

@NFLDERS , I am a "both socks first, then shoes" kind of person. If I'm home, I'm usually barefoot, though.

@Micca , ouch!!!! Glad you weren't seriously hurt, but it sounds painful enough.

@Mackenzie Click-Mickelson , it sounds like you had a great trip! I love all of the photos. The rum tasting sounds fun and yummy.

Hopefully, things come in just 3's!

Earlier this week our home's security cameras went out.
Midweek our Orlando's back hatch door stopped opening.
Then, our Orlando's radio started coming on randomly.

The cameras are working again, because our retired inhouse electrician was able to fix it by replacing the power supply, whatever that means... lol.

The Orlando unfortunately, may have to be a dealership fix.

Hopefully, things come in just 3's!

Earlier this week our home's security cameras went out.
Midweek our Orlando's back hatch door stopped opening.
Then, our Orlando's radio started coming on randomly.

The cameras are working again, because our retired inhouse electrician was able to fix it by replacing the power supply, whatever that means... lol.

The Orlando unfortunately, may have to be a dealership fix.
Ugh sorry to hear about all the stuff. Fingers crossed that it's all that happens well maybe knocking on wood too would be great lol.

Car problems are always a bummer. Mine's been on an engine watch for several years and when that goes out the car...well poor Annabelle (as that's her name :laughing:) will likely be gone for. Ok maybe I should do some fingers crossed and knocking on wood :rotfl2:

I've seen Poltergeist but I have not seen Gremlins :scared1: I do know what they look like though ::yes::

I have seen the movie, but I was thinking even further back:

A gremlin is a folkloric mischievous creature that causes malfunctions in aircraft or other machinery...The term "gremlin" denoting a mischievous creature that sabotages aircraft originates in Royal Air Force (RAF) slang in the 1920s among the British pilots stationed in Malta, the Middle East, and India, with the earliest recorded printed use being in a poem published in the journal Aeroplane in Malta on 10 April 1929. Later sources have sometimes claimed that the concept goes back to World War I, but there is no print evidence of this. (from Wikipedia)

P.S.- It's totally worth clicking for more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gremlin/

https://www.roalddahlfans.com/dahls-work/books/the-gremlins/

I didn't know there was a Disney connection!

Good Morning! :wave2:

We hit the ground running last week after having returned from holidays and I'm kinda shocked to see the condition of the CB. Other than a ton of threads that belong on the Games Board, there really hasn't been much going on. C'mon you guys - post some interesting topics to get things moving again!

To get the important business out of the way first, @NFLDERS , I always put both my socks on first and as a Canadian, never wear my shoes in the house - do you? They're all kept by the door to be put on before exiting. Where and how to store shoes tidily is a big issue at my place. My DH custom-built a shoe niche into the wall of our rear stairwell; at the door we use to exit to and enter from our underground parkade. Only problem is, it smells overwhelmingly like "shoes" :crazy2: but fortunately nobody but us is ever down there - guests come through the front door.

We had a reasonably nice vacation cruise out of Galveston, TX, a place neither of us have ever been before. It was an easy 4 hour direct flight from Calgary and we went in-and-out the day the cruise departed and returned so we didn't really see much of Texas other than the hightway and an afternoon spent at the Space Center. It tickled us a little to hear people talk about how big Texas is when it's smaller than most Canadian provinces. :goodvibes The 90 minute drive between Houston and Galveston was nothing to us.

We didn't make a good choice in sailing Carnival, but we still had a great time being together and visited Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozulmel - all places we've been before. The weather was SO hot - I could literally feel my fat rendering out in that blazing sun. :sunny: Other than a sunburn and a fish-bite I took riding under-water motor scooters in Mexico, all was well! I shouldn't have complained so much about the heat - we returned home to SNOW - seriously, WTH?!? Waaaaay to soon...:cold: Still hoping for another month of the beautiful Indian Summer we're used to. Thanksgiving is just around the corner (October 8) and it never snows on Thanksgiving. In the meantime, a catastrophic tornado has ripped through Ottawa, where DH's DD and her family lives. Blessedly they are unscathed but displaced as power has not yet been restored to their home. Crazy, crazy weather all over.

Last edited:
Good Morning! :wave2:

We hit the ground running last week after having returned from holidays and I'm kinda shocked to see the condition of the CB. Other than a ton of threads that belong on the Games Board, there really hasn't been much going on. C'mon you guys - post some interesting topics to get things moving again!

To get the important business out of the way first, @NFLDERS , I always put both my socks on first and as a Canadian, never wear my shoes in the house - do you? They're all kept by the door to be put on before exiting. Where and how to store shoes tidily is a big issue at my place. My DH custom-built a shoe niche into the wall of our rear stairwell; at the door we use to exit to and enter from our underground parkade. Only problem is, it smells overwhelmingly like "shoes" :crazy2: but fortunately nobody but us is ever down there - guests come through the front door.

We had a reasonably nice vacation cruise out of Galveston, TX, a place neither of us have ever been before. It was an easy 4 hour direct flight from Calgary and we went in-and-out the day the cruise departed and returned so we didn't really see much of Texas other than the hightway and an afternoon spent at the Space Center. It tickled us a little to hear people talk about how big Texas is when it's smaller than most Canadian provinces. :goodvibes The 90 minute drive between Houston and Galveston was nothing to us.

We didn't make a good choice in sailing Carnival, but we still had a great time being together and visited Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozulmel - all places we've been before. The weather was SO hot - I could literally feel my fat rendering out in that blazing sun. :sunny: Other than a sunburn and a fish-bite I took riding under-water motor scooters in Mexico, all was well! I shouldn't have complained so much about the heat - we returned home to SNOW - seriously, WTH?!? Waaaaay to soon...:cold: Still hoping for another month of the beautiful Indian Summer we're used to. Thanksgiving is just around the corner (October 8) and it never snows on Thanksgiving. In the meantime, a catastrophic tornado has ripped through Ottawa, where DH's DD and her family lives. Blessedly they are unscathed but displaced as power has not yet been restored to their home. Crazy, crazy weather all over.

Hello! I had so much fun reading this post today. So glad to have you back and posting.

I love hearing that people don't wear shoes in the home in Canada. We don't wear them in our house unless they are designated indoor shoes that have never been worn outside or have been scrubbed and repurposed for indoor shoes. That would normally be me in a pair of Teva flip flops in the kitchen when I have hours of cooking ahead of me. Hard tile and bare feet standing in front of the stove for way too long doesn't feel good. Or it could be my daughter breaking in a pair of heels before an event. Most of the time, though, we're barefoot. We keep our shoes on a rack out in the garage. I don't know many people here who do the same. If someone visits, we usually don't have them remove their shoes unless the weather is just really muddy and gross -and then, they usually offer on their own. i just clean the floors like crazy once they're gone.

Crazy weather is right! Intense heat, early snow, and tornadoes all in a short span of time? No thanks. Is your snow gone already? So glad to hear your stepdaughter and her home are okay.

I'd love to hear about your Carnival cruise experience and why it wasn't a great choice. We almost cruised with them once but had to cancel due to conflicts that came up at the time. Should we stay away?

A fish bit you?! Any idea what kind? Was it a big bite or just a little nibble? I would have expected the scooter to scare fish away.

I went to that Space Center once as a kid. I don't remember much about it except the feeling that everything was huge.

Glad you guys had fun being together on your trip. That's always the best part of a vacation. Well, that and escaping real life for awhile.

Hi everyone! :wave:

OK here goes........I wasn't going to even say anything on the DIS. I actually don't even like talking about this in RL but this is my story in a nutshell......

The end of August we found out we had 3 feet of hot water spewing from a burst pipe all over our crawl space on the bottom of our floors. This had been going on for almost a month. Fast forward, the house is sinking as we speak and there's mold everywhere down in the crawl space.

Oct 4, we're moving to an apartment for 5 to 6 months because it's unsafe for me especially (with my lung disease) to be here while they gut 2 thirds of our house. There will be no heat or bathroom that whole time.

It has been a nightmare suddenly up and packing your whole house to a little 2 bedroom apartment but it's something we have to do.

Not looking for sympathy just telling you like it is........thanks.

Eta.......I do love you guys! :love:

Last edited:
Hi everyone! :wave:

OK here goes........I wasn't going to even say anything on the DIS. I actually don't even like talking about this in RL but this is my story in a nutshell......

The end of August we found out we had 3 feet of hot water spewing from a burst pipe all over our crawl space on the bottom of our floors. This had been going on for almost a month. Fast forward, the house is sinking as we speak and there's mold everywhere down in the crawl space.

Oct 4, we're moving to an apartment for 5 to 6 months because it's unsafe for me especially (with my lung disease) to be here while they gut 2 thirds of our house. There will be no heat or bathroom that whole time.

It has been a nightmare suddenly up and packing your whole house to a little 2 bedroom apartment but it's something we have to do.

Not looking for sympathy just telling you like it is........thanks.

I know you're not looking for sympathy, but you have mine anyway - given freely and with the kindest intentions. I am so glad you are able to get out of there while the clean up happens. I have asthma, and I know how horrible chronic respiratory issues are and how dangerous they can be when something goes wrong. I am so sorry this has happened to you guys and hope it is all resolved as quickly as possible and with the least amount of hardship to you that can come from something of this magnitude. :hug:

I know you're not looking for sympathy, but you have mine anyway - given freely and with the kindest intentions. I am so glad you are able to get out of there while the clean up happens. I have asthma, and I know how horrible chronic respiratory issues are and how dangerous they can be when something goes wrong. I am so sorry this has happened to you guys and hope it is all resolved as quickly as possible and with the least amount of hardship to you that can come from something of this magnitude. :hug:

I appreciate your post, Twilight....as much as I always thought of you all summer seeing my fireflies. Thank you. :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter