Another year, another lady surgery Update pg3

I am so sorry you are going through this- sending prayers to you! I had a complete hysterectomy two years ago for endometrial cancer and thankfully have had no more issues. My coworker had ovarian cancer like 8 years ago but they left one of her ovaries too. Now she is having issues and is mad they didn't take that one at the same time. I hope your doctor's are able to resolve everything for you quickly.

First of all, I am SO sorry that you're having to go through all of this. It's totally not fair. I feel your pain.

I had a partial hysterectomy (22 cm benign mass) at an absurdly young age followed two years later by a full hysterectomy. I actually thought surgery number two was worse, but only because (back then) my insurance had changed so that I was at the mercy of my PCP to give me a 'referral' to the gynecologist to fix this. The PCP wanted me to take Prozac and Motrin and check back in six weeks. I said [bleep] that, and was willing to pay cash to see my gynecologist who immediately sent me for tests given my medical history. I almost cried in relief when the tech said - no wonder you're in so much pain. You have a mass that seems to have ruptured. We see internal bleeding.

Long story short. I haven't had a problem since the second surgery. I hope it is the same for you. If you need more support, please feel free to PM me.

I am trying to remember the details of your surgery, Tina - there have been so many here the stories get blurred. They took one of your ovaries out and left the other one in? And what's happening now, they're going to take the other one out as well as the mass on the side where the one that was taken out was? Ugh. Sorry you have to go through that. :hug: I hope it goes relatively seamlessly for you. What did the GYN say about why it happened?

The ovary piece is such a difficult thing to decide (when having a hysterectomy). Mine both came out during my hyst (at my oncologist's recommendation based on my history of breast cancer; the GYN and I both favored leaving them in but the Onc won out). I was thrown into sudden surgical menopause and I have to say, it's been a nightmare. (I also didn't take hormone replacement due to the same history.) It puts me at risk for a lot of other diseases (so I guess I'm relatively safe from ovarian cancer but fear now I'll drop dead of a heart attack. :rolleyes1 ) In retrospect it's six of one, half dozen of another. I did not want to have regrets if I later came down with ovarian cancer, so I can't say for sure I'd do things differently if I had it to do over again. Fortunately there are new recommendations out for HRT so I am looking into those.

Just posting this as people have mentioned it and I know a lot of women are faced with the same decisions. I've known others who left their ovaries in and also had problems later. In my case I was in excruciating pain to the point I could not walk (and was hemorraging) and my GYN told me in those cases they try to take as much as they can because nobody can ever be positive where the pain is coming from. I had adenomyosis but it was only diagnosed post-operatively. Another piece of the puzzle my GYN said they're finding now that lots of ovarian cancers actually start in the Fallopian tubes, so often they're recommending those come out even when they leave the ovaries in. So there can be a lot of complex decision-making with this surgery, and we all make the best decisions we can at the time. Every case is unique, though, so what's right for one person may not be right for another. Good luck to everyone facing this.

I am so sorry you are going through this- sending prayers to you! I had a complete hysterectomy two years ago for endometrial cancer and thankfully have had no more issues. My coworker had ovarian cancer like 8 years ago but they left one of her ovaries too. Now she is having issues and is mad they didn't take that one at the same time. I hope your doctor's are able to resolve everything for you quickly.
She may have been mad if they had taken it and she was miserable in surgical menopause. Nobody has a crystal ball when making these decisions. They leave one ovary in so the woman can benefit from the natural estrogen that that one ovary continues to secrete. It has so many protective health benefits for women, that's why they do it. It's unfortunate when problems surface with the ovary left in. But there's no way of knowing for sure what will happen. Both ovaries out = complete and sudden surgical menopause. (Most women enter menopause gradually so the effects aren't as dramatic.)

From the American Heart Association:

Estrogen Levels May Play a Role
A decline in the natural hormone estrogen may be a factor in heart disease increase among post-menopausal women. Estrogen is believed to have a positive effect on the inner layer of artery wall, helping to keep blood vessels flexible. That means they can relax and expand to accommodate blood flow.

Despite the benefits of estrogen, the American Heart Association recommends against using postmenopausal hormone therapy to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease or stroke because some studies have shown it appears to not reduce the risk.

Estrogen decline isn’t the only reason women face a higher cardiovascular disease risk after reaching menopause, Dr. Goldberg said.

“We’re trying to figure the rest of it out,” she said.

Assorted changes in the body occur with menopause. Blood pressure starts to go up. LDL cholesterol, or “bad” cholesterol, tends to increase while HDL, or “good” cholesterol declines or remains the same. Triglycerides, certain types of fats in the blood, also increase.

She may have been mad if they had taken it and she was miserable in surgical menopause. Nobody has a crystal ball when making these decisions. They leave one ovary in so the woman can benefit from the natural estrogen that that one ovary continues to secrete. It has so many protective health benefits for women, that's why they do it. It's unfortunate when problems surface with the ovary left in. But there's no way of knowing for sure what will happen. Both ovaries out = complete and sudden surgical menopause. (Most women enter menopause gradually so the effects aren't as dramatic.)

From the American Heart Association:

Estrogen Levels May Play a Role
A decline in the natural hormone estrogen may be a factor in heart disease increase among post-menopausal women. Estrogen is believed to have a positive effect on the inner layer of artery wall, helping to keep blood vessels flexible. That means they can relax and expand to accommodate blood flow.

Despite the benefits of estrogen, the American Heart Association recommends against using postmenopausal hormone therapy to reduce the risk of coronary heart disease or stroke because some studies have shown it appears to not reduce the risk.

Estrogen decline isn’t the only reason women face a higher cardiovascular disease risk after reaching menopause, Dr. Goldberg said.

“We’re trying to figure the rest of it out,” she said.

Assorted changes in the body occur with menopause. Blood pressure starts to go up. LDL cholesterol, or “bad” cholesterol, tends to increase while HDL, or “good” cholesterol declines or remains the same. Triglycerides, certain types of fats in the blood, also increase.

The weird thing with my coworker is that her mom died of ovarian cancer and she was actually for having both removed, but her doctor advised against it because of the menopausal effects.

Because I had my kids pretty young, when I was diagnosed at 38 I was fine with having everything removed. I had absolutely no risk factors for the cancer I had and my oncologist really wanted me to just take all other risks out. Sure I went into immediate menopause, and can't do hormone replacement because it can contribute to other female cancer risks, but I am on two other medications that help with the symptoms. He also strongly urged me to get genetic testing since I have other cancer in my family, which I did, only to find out I don't carry any markers. To me it was the right decision anyway. Cancer research has come a long way, but there is still lots of research and testing needed to make sure future generations have the best possible care.

So sorry to hear this, Tina. I hope this can be resolved and you can bounce back!
When I had my hysterectomy (huge fibroids and endometriosis) my Dr. wanted to leave one ovary. I said NO I wanted everything out, so she did a complete hyster and also removed my appendix while she was at it!

I am sorry to hear this. They pretty much did the same thing with my cousin even though we have a strong family history of ovarian cancer, I had it at age 21 and 2 out of my 3 sisters both had it at age 43. My cousin said hers were pre-cancerous and had to go through 2 surgeries about 2 years apart. She is now in her mid forties. I don't remember much of the menopause except for the hot flashes and massive weight gain. My oncologist gave me valium for the hot flashes but scared me so bad about it being addicting I didn't take them. My sisters weren't given anything. Halloween will be 38 years since my surgery. My sisters are 11 and 3 years since theirs. the youngest sister was the only one to have chemo since hers had spread but is doing good now.

I'm so sorry to hear this Tina. We will all be thinking of you and sending pixie dust for a rapid recovery. When is your surgery?pixiedust:

Yall are so kind. Thank you so much for the good wishes and pixie dust.

I am really torn about the left ovary removal or not. I don't even know if the ovary can be saved after all the trauma last couple years. I'm guessing the mass on the side with no ovary is more endometriosis growing. All I know is that my pelvic area on that side is really swollen and super uncomfortable. Weird and exactly how I felt last year before my first surgery in May. I don't know my doctor that well as I just met her this summer and trying to trust that she knows what is going on. She came really recommended from other ladies in my office. I know from all my physical signs that I have things growing that shouldn't. The whole thing is just pissy mostly. It's like I'm going through the stages of grief everyday. Today is anger.

I do my surgery later Oct. The doctor wanted to do this ASAP and I am not celebrating my birthday with more surgery. That's how I spent my December which included anniversary, Christmas and New Year's and basically Valentines. I AM doing something nice for my birthday!

Again, thank you all for just listening. There so many people and experiences that I appreciate all who share and care.

Tina, I just saw this! I am so so sorry you are still going through lady problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter