Antigua with Kids

MouseFan88

Mouseketeer
We're headed to Antigua on our Magic sailing with a 3 year old and a 1 year old. Doesn't look like any of the "official" port excursions are a good fit for us, but I know after 3 days at sea we'll be needing to escape the ship. Any suggestions for things to do that are little-kid-friendly and don't require extensive transportation (we're not bringing car seats with us)?

We couldn't do any 'official' port excursions either when we were there in June (DH is 4). Older cousins all went on the sting ray tour.

So we did Adventure Antigua's "Eli's Eco Tour" - it was billed for 'all ages' - and there were a few toddlers besides DS (he is 4). It was a pretty long day for him - but all of the activities were optional off the boat (so we skipped both hikes and played in the water near where they hiked from). Food was very picnic-y (but tasty) but the potty on board was kind of yuck (and not really good for changing a baby). The important part is we just hopped on their boat parked down from where the Fantasy was...so no car seats necessary.

While this specific boat tour might not be the best choice for you, I'm sure there were other options with other operators. Also, we were back with plenty of time!

Is a beach day an option?

Even as babies, my kids loved the beach.
(We just did the "baby picture" project at school, and my guy's picture was him crawling on the beach at 10 months.)

We're on the same cruise. We'll have a 21 month old and a 10 yr old with us and we're just doing a beach day. We'll definitely be ready to get off the ship by then!! :D Bring pails/shovels and they'll be good to go! So many beaches though - you'll need to research best for small children.

Carlisle Bay offers a beach day pass that includes lunch and afternoon tea. Check them out, They have a FB page and respond to messages. We spend a week there each year and the beach is awesome for little ones. Not rough at all and there is a pool there as well! Lounges with umbrellas, towels, and a cooler with drinks and cold rags.

We're on the same cruise. We'll have a 21 month old and a 10 yr old with us and we're just doing a beach day. We'll definitely be ready to get off the ship by then!! :D Bring pails/shovels and they'll be good to go! So many beaches though - you'll need to research best for small children.

365 beaches! Our driver said one for each girlfriend!

So there are lots of beaches - but none in town that I am aware of...so if the OP doesn't want to take the children in a taxi or vehicle without car seats, there is a limit to where the family can go (unless they take a bus or something).

So there are lots of beaches - but none in town that I am aware of...so if the OP doesn't want to take the children in a taxi or vehicle without car seats, there is a limit to where the family can go (unless they take a bus or something).
Yep - this is my main problem. Totally open to a beach day. Our girls love the beach. But wasn't sure if there was an easy way to get there without carseats :(

I don’t know the laws in Antigua or what OP is comfortable with but most drivers we used were in very large passenger vans. The winding roads are down right scary though.

I don’t know the laws in Antigua or what OP is comfortable with but most drivers we used were in very large passenger vans. The winding roads are down right scary though.

When we were in St. Kitts there weren’t any seatbelt laws. So although i had brought a booster seat for my son we didn’t end up using it (Even now at home he still sits in a full car seat.) He was pretty OK to sit alone. I don’t know what I would do with a one-year-old though.

It’s not ideal but we go for when in Rome...

We Just accepted lack of seatbelts and enjoy our excursions.

For the record generally I’m very car seat conscious. My 7 year old is still in a full harnessed seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!