Anxious solo traveler

I go on at least one solo trip a year, sometimes two. I'll be there Sept. 18-22 (might extend that a couple of nights) mostly for food and wine. I love my solo trips, almost more than I enjoy the trips I take with my adult son. You are on your schedule, if you want ice cream for supper you eat ice cream. If you want to watch shows, you watch shows (my son hates them). I travel a lot solo, my honey hates to travel and my son can't always fit trips into his school schedule so I'm used to it. Disney is one of the easiest places to travel solo, I always feel safe but I am always aware of my surroundings. I have my kindle downloaded to my phone and tend to read in lines and while eating. I eat at TS restaurants no problem. Since I go during F&W, 99% of my meals come from the booths of the special dining experiences. I spend part of every day at Epcot and try to get at least one thing from every booth. Don't worry about it, you will be fine.

I go on at least one solo trip a year, sometimes two. I'll be there Sept. 18-22 (might extend that a couple of nights) mostly for food and wine. I love my solo trips, almost more than I enjoy the trips I take with my adult son. You are on your schedule, if you want ice cream for supper you eat ice cream. If you want to watch shows, you watch shows (my son hates them). I travel a lot solo, my honey hates to travel and my son can't always fit trips into his school schedule so I'm used to it. Disney is one of the easiest places to travel solo, I always feel safe but I am always aware of my surroundings. I have my kindle downloaded to my phone and tend to read in lines and while eating. I eat at TS restaurants no problem. Since I go during F&W, 99% of my meals come from the booths of the special dining experiences. I spend part of every day at Epcot and try to get at least one thing from every booth. Don't worry about it, you will be fine.

Any F&W tips? I will be making my first visit this year, arriving in Orlando 9/22.

Have even considered cancelling
Oh No! :scared1: Don't cancel. Disney is easy to do solo and you blend into the enviroment.

But halfway through the first day I realized it was a nonissue. When you're solo, you don't have to ride anything you don't want to, you don't have to
The best part of solo... you just don't have to anything!:goodvibes

Northrup - have a wonderful trip!

Any F&W tips? I will be making my first visit this year, arriving in Orlando 9/22.

I try not to overbook special events, it takes me the entire week to sample from every booth so my stomach can't hold much more. I love the little deminars at the Festival Center. There have been a lot of complaints about them recently since they tend to raise the prices and this year there is no wine with the food demos but I still enjoy them and do a couple each trip. It gets you out of the heat, bonus. I'm the worst about having a plan, I just don't. I just start at whatever booth is in front of me when I enter the park, I do try to do the opposite direction then what I went previously and I don't plan out what I want. I get something and either walk around eating it or sit down and eat it then walk around a little then stop at whatever booth I'm at, rinse and repeat. This can and does cause me to walk around WS several times but I figure I'm consuming so much that doesn't hurt me. I tend to do the other parks in the mornings then wander over to Epcot. Like I said, 99% of my meals are from F&W. I typically book one special food and wine pairing meal, I've done the Med. one at Spice Road Tables the last 3 years because I just like it that much.

I try not to overbook special events, it takes me the entire week to sample from every booth so my stomach can't hold much more. I love the little deminars at the Festival Center. There have been a lot of complaints about them recently since they tend to raise the prices and this year there is no wine with the food demos but I still enjoy them and do a couple each trip. It gets you out of the heat, bonus. I'm the worst about having a plan, I just don't. I just start at whatever booth is in front of me when I enter the park, I do try to do the opposite direction then what I went previously and I don't plan out what I want. I get something and either walk around eating it or sit down and eat it then walk around a little then stop at whatever booth I'm at, rinse and repeat. This can and does cause me to walk around WS several times but I figure I'm consuming so much that doesn't hurt me. I tend to do the other parks in the mornings then wander over to Epcot. Like I said, 99% of my meals are from F&W. I typically book one special food and wine pairing meal, I've done the Med. one at Spice Road Tables the last 3 years because I just like it that much.

My plan so far is to hit the top priority booths, for me, and be mostly done by 8pm.

I am going on my 2nd solo trip next month. Like others have said , the freedom of doing what you want when you want is the best . Last time , I did the Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour ant this time I am doing Undiscovered Future World ( I have already done Keys to the Kingdom twice ) I try to do or eat something that I otherwise wouldn't with my family at least once a day .

I am going on my 2nd solo trip next month. Like others have said , the freedom of doing what you want when you want is the best . Last time , I did the Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour ant this time I am doing Undiscovered Future World ( I have already done Keys to the Kingdom twice ) I try to do or eat something that I otherwise wouldn't with my family at least once a day .

Are the tours worth the money, in your opinion?

I think so but I have gone often enough I want a new experience . Also, I feel like I have the time and not missing out on park time. I wouldn't do them if it was a short trip or one of your first couple of trips to WDW. I am not sure all are worth the money but they two I have done I think are .

I think so but I have gone often enough I want a new experience . Also, I feel like I have the time and not missing out on park time. I wouldn't do them if it was a short trip or one of your first couple of trips to WDW. I am not sure all are worth the money but they two I have done I think are .

I am considering the Star Wars one specifically. The other days I know I won't have time for tours, but with Hollywood Studios being more limited, especially with the Great Movie Ride closing, I a seriously considering that particular park for a guided tour.

I personally haven't been on that one but understanding your reasoning . Have you searched on here for reviews ?

I personally haven't been on that one but understanding your reasoning . Have you searched on here for reviews ?

I am slowly gathering information. I do know that they will be dropping the dessert party from the guided tour on October 1st, while reducing the price. To me, having the dessert party included makes it more attractive since it is like a $50 upgrade to the dessert party that way. Of course, Disney always looks for ways to upsell their guests, so it's par for the course. My own travel plans are a little before then though. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but you did raise a good point when you mentioned the tours.

One additional idea that hasn't come up yet... consider signing up for a tour. It'll allows you spend time in a group and make connections with other guests, and the CM tour guide. Plus you'll get to see/learn about some cool behind the scenes stuff. Many include lunch, so you'll have the opportunity to break bread together.

Edited to add: Well, I guess the topic of tours did come up while I was typing :).

One additional idea that hasn't come up yet... consider signing up for a tour. It'll allows you spend time in a group and make connections with other guests, and the CM tour guide. Plus you'll get to see/learn about some cool behind the scenes stuff. Many include lunch, so you'll have the opportunity to break bread together.

Edited to add: Well, I guess the topic of tours did come up while I was typing :).

We were just discussing tours. It is a good idea.

Hi. First time posting. I will be in Walt Disney World Sept 21-27 2017, staying at the Port Orleans French Quarter. First time going solo. Feeling a bit anxious about not having anyone to share it with. Any advice? Are there any groups that meet there? Have even considered cancelling. :-( .
Hi there, sorry I'm late to the thread, but I hope you haven't cancelled your trip! I've taken three solo trips to WDW and they were all wonderful! I've stayed at POFQ several times and it's a great resort. I never felt uncomfortable solo at any time during my trip. I know you said you're used to going with someone, but I still think you can have a great time alone. You'll have freedom to do anything and everything you want to do. Enjoy!

Decided I am not going to cancel! Gonna go for it!!!! :-)
Great! I'll be returning at the end of October and I can't wait! When is the last time you went to WDW? I'm excited to see the Happily Ever After fireworks and the Avatar attractions at the Animal Kingdom.

I not only have done solos at WDW but did the Adventures by Disney Italy trip, and the East bound cruise from Cape Canaveral to Copenhagen on my own.
I was nervous but Disney people are just plain friendly folks. I still keep in touch with some ABD people on Facebook and even had dinner with some of them on the cruise. I also had fab tablemates on the cruise too. I signed up for another next year! So put on your Happy face, get chatty with people and just have
fun as there is always something to do at the parks.

So I'm on day 2 of my first solo Disney trip, and this is also my first time back at WDW since I was 10 or 11. (Just turned 25.)

Everything has been pretty solid so far. Except for the hostess and server who maybe didn't know what to do with me at Flying Fish and some "how sad" looks from others dining, most people and CMs have been friendly. (Not to deter anyone from FF; I saw plenty of super friendly and chatty servers around. Just mine was like :confused: ) I'm not randomly making friends everywhere, but hopefully soon :laughing:

It is a little strange. In the ~real world~ it's never a big deal to be alone, and I've traveled alone domestically and internationally a lot, for years. Maybe it's just more noticeable here since there are so many families and groups, but whatever.

Anyway, you made a great choice in keeping your plans. I hope you have the best time on your September trip! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter