Any advantage to staying at a Disney HK Hotel?

Pacolovestacos

DIS Veteran
So except for proximity, there doesn't seem to be a lot of advantages to staying at a Disney Hong Kong Hotel. And given that the park opens late (typically about 10am or so), it seems easy enough to get from a HK hotel to the park.

I'm going to cash in some points for the Conrad HK and think I may just stay there during the duration of my trip and head to the Disney park on a Monday. Any downside for me doing this?

No - the metro (with its mickey windows) will drop you off at the main gate and is simple to use . Plus you have the whole of HK for evening dining and exploration.

I've done both and I think they are different experiences. By standing onsite property, you are immersed in Disney for the whole day. We have young kids and enjoyed taking it easy during some inclement weather and had a full afternoon tea and had makeovers at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique. The last visit we went for one day only and stayed until the fireworks, and we satisfied and ready to go back to the city. I'd say the decision depends how long you have in HK and how much Disney you are looking for.

I stayed on site for 2 nights, it was a really nice hotel ... you do avoid the train ride in .. which while not long, probably involves a transfer. It really depends on if you want to do more stuff in Hong Kong proper or Disney. IIRC, the last train to Disney was at midnight, so if you are planning on being out and about late .. I would stay in HK proper for sure. Beyond Disney, there is not really much around there to do near the Disney hotels

I was only there once in March when the park was not really crowded, the park was pretty empty until around 2PM ...

I don’t think there is any downside. It’s a matter of personal preference and what one enjoys doing most. I believe either way, you would have a magical time. It’s Disney after all!

In July of 2016, DD and I spent two nights at DHH at the beginning of our 5-day stopover in HK enroute from Seoul to Toronto. Split stay works better for us since we are visiting other parts of HK. We are visiting Seoul again this summer and this time we are spending 9 days in HK. We will stay two nights at HKDL and the new Explorers Hotel. August is too hot to travel far in HK even with MTR. I would splurge this time to stay at the Kingdom Club Room (HKDL) and Sea View Room (DEL). The priority passes coming with the room reservations would get us on the popular rides without long wait in the heat (total of 7 passes plus reserved seating for Mickey’s Wondrous Book and Festival of the Lion King). This time we would like to spend more time enjoying the hotels rather than being in the park all day. We need that break back to the hotel mid-day to rejuvenate. Staying onsite at the Disney hotels allows that.

We thought that we needed to stay onsite due to it being pretty far from any cheap-ish hotels. Lol. We definitely didn't need to, with the park opening late, and crowds being INSANELY low (November) we would've been fine to get up a bit earlier and take the train in. We also found that food on property was WAY expensive, and there was NOTHING around the area, so we couldn't grab a different breakfast on the way in or anything.

If we ever go back, we'll definitely stay off property to save money, and know to bring snacks in!

I've never stayed on-site, but I've gone a couple times. If you're looking to save money or just want to explore of HK, there's plenty of nice hotels in other parts of Hong Kong, for less cost than the disney hotels. It's very easy and affordable to take the subway in and out. You will have to transfer at least once to the Disney line, if not more, but it's very easy and navigable. You might leave and wake up a little earlier than you might if you were on site, but it's maybe an hour, at most.

Personally, I think I'd rather stay in Downtown Hong Kong if I plan on doing anything besides Disney on a multi-day stay, but I might consider on-site if I was *only* there for 2 days and *only* doing Disney.

I found the city a lot more overwhelming and harder to find quiet places to "relax" in than the park, so I needed my hotel room closer to the city than the park, anyway. Good, quick western food (though quality Asian food was cheaper, I just didn't want it because I live in mainland China, and this trip was my first opportunity in awhile to enjoy it) was also just as expensive, if not more so, than in the parks!

On my first trip to HK, I actually scrapped some city plans, in favor of a second Disney day on my first trip because I was able to upgrade my ticket making it "cheaper" and didn't have to look as hard for food or deal with as many crowds, but the hotel being in the city was no burden to that.

It's always cheaper to stay off-site and expensive on-site.... just like WDW, DLR. But it's Disney, you know what you are getting, the quality etc.
I did a split stay, the hotel room in HKG was half the size, the breakfast standard was way way way lower. The staff hardly speak English.

Our package include character breakfasts, given the lack of time constraint due to late park open ( unlike WDW/DLR ) we took our time.
But the Dragon Wind restaurant (bigger of the 2 restaurant in Explorers) Mickey/Mini does not walk around. It's like the meet & greet at parks. You have to queue.
Over at world of colours, Goofy came around to our table ( officially it's not a character dinning but Goofy came anyway).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter