Any Alternatives to Fanny Packs (PLEASE!)

SHarrison

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

Thought I would get some practical advice from the seasoned professionals! My hubby and I are coming to Universal for our 5th Anniversary and are staying at the RPR...we can't wait!

Even though September is still months away, I am already thinking of what to bring on the trip and I'm running into "the purse" issue. I am planning on bringing a camera, hopefully a bottle of water or two, and wallet into the park (and maybe a dry swimsuit??) and I would really like to avoid the fanny pack. Are there any sensible alternatives out there or am I stuck? I've been looking at the LL Bean small sized totes that zip at the top...but would that be a pain on the rides?? Help!

Stephanie

My husband wore one of those Khaki Tan-colored Safari Vests that he got from Eddie Bauer. That's when we went in Jan. and also again the end of Oct. I think the Safari Vest would be too hot for you in Sept. I have to admit, my hubby thought he was really cool and macho in it!! Ha Ha! The Safari Hunter, or something. Hey we didn't care what he looked like, but he had so many pockets that he carried all our things too! Every few steps, someone was making him stand still while we reached for chap stick, glasses, maps. It was funny, but he loved the vest.
Sorry I didn't have a good idea for you, but maybe someone else can benefit from the vest idea.
Have a great trip!
Pomcoach:wave:

Thanks pomcoach!

I guess that my main concern is that carrying a bag - even a small one - will be a hassle....does anyone out there have any tote bag horror stories or has it been okay?

I think that fanny packs are allowed on all the rides, especially if it's not a big one, but backpacks and totes are not, at least not on the big coasters.

T&B

I'm not sure you really need a bag. We always go through this same dilemna on our vacations because no one in my family wants to wear a fanny pack (including me!) and no one wants to be the one to lug a bag or backpack around. I say wear your camera around your neck, put your wallet in your shorts pocket (I wear a very thin 3"x5" wallet/purse around my neck), skip the swimsuit idea, and come up with a creative way to attach the water bottle to one of your belt loops on your shorts (or you could use a lanyard and wear it around your neck - but you may not want to do that if your camera is also around your neck!). I'm planning on everyone taking a water bottle into the parks with them each day so am looking into a way to attach the bottles to everyone's belt loops (though with my teenage son, the weight of the water bottle may pull his shorts down to his ankles LOL!)

Anyone have any ideas? :)

Originally posted by threeboysmom
I'm planning on everyone taking a water bottle into the parks with them each day so am looking into a way to attach the bottles to everyone's belt loops (though with my teenage son, the weight of the water bottle may pull his shorts down to his ankles LOL!)

LOL on your teenage son's pants. I saw someone at Target yesterdaywho's pants were totally off his (I think it was a "he"--it was hard to tell lol)rear end. Not just a little, but 100%. My mouth dropped open. Good thing he didn't have a water bottel on his belt loop!! :teeth: :teeth:

T&B

How about one of those nylon drawstring backpacks. They seem to hold alot but are not as heavy or as bothersome as a regular backpack.

Hi!

I am not a fan of backpacks, mainly since I have traveled around Europe before, and backpacks are a prime target for sticky-fingered pickpockets. Also, they are typically not allowed on rides.

Instead, I use a small messenger-bag type of tote. Many types are around, but the best are ones with a wide strap that is adjustable, and a zippered top. I put the strap over my body so it is on a diagonal. Voila! This is a great alternative to a fanny pack (not as silly-looking), it keeps your hands free, you can usually wear it on a ride, and your purse stays in plain sight at your side.

Check out eBags (a cool site!) for a ton of these bags. You can look under "Urban Gear," then in the sub-directory "Shoulder Bags" to see what I mean. The bag I use is:

http://www.ebags.com/manhattan_portage/dj_bag_small/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=16889

They are really funky bags that hold everything (and are very high on the coolness quotient)! Hope this helps!

Babka Gal - thanks!!!

I went to your link and those messenger bags are perfect! It looks like its small enough to stay out of the way, but hold everything that we need! Thanks so much -

Steph

Hi again!

Glad I could be of help! :D The Manhattan Portage bags are great, and you can even get a his and a hers one! A lot of guys I know wear them in the black or olive color (they call it their "DJ bag" or bike messenger bag, which sounds more macho than a "tote"). But good luck convincing your husband on that idea. :teeth:

Anyway, I'll be at Universal this weekend, so I'll post a reply next week with the results of the trip. I'll see how many rides will let me on with the bag! Have a great day! :wave2:

They may not let you take anything but a fanny pack on the coasters. They were really strict on hulk during our last trip. I usually carry my fanny pack over my shoulder like a pocketbook but put it around my waist on the rides. That said, if you have to stow your shoulder bag in a locker, it's actually very easy and hassle free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter