Any Canadians here flying into MCO when Dorian may hit?

I Run Long

DIS Veteran
I'm starting to panic now. We're leaving from Victoria and flying through Toronto on Westjet for MCO. I booked this trip around 11 months ago and am renting DVC points to stay so can't reschedule. We're supposed to arrive around 12:30pm on Tuesday (Sept 3). Here's hoping we don't meet up with Dorian!

Keep your eyes glued to CNN for weather updates. I like to call the HNN at this time of year. (Hurricane News Network). So much can happen with that storm in the next few days. It's not time to panic yet! Do you have trip interruption insurance in case you get delayed in Toronto? Can you travel a day earlier. WestJet might be willing to accommodate a change at not extra cost to you.

I know there are a few others who are in the World right now. I think they may be coming home before the storm hits though.

Good luck, I Run Long.

We are flying down Saturday morning (moved up from Sunday afternoon) and staying until Friday. We’ll lose a day or two of park time for sure, but there’s no way to 100% predict what or when.

Keep an eye on the National Hurrican Centre website, and if Dorian looks like it’s slowing down, you might want to investigate hotels near Pearson. You’ll make it that far, it’s whether MCO will be open that’s the question. Disney will be very accommodating, and you can call to let them know you’ll be a day late (if that’s the case).

Thanks ottawamom! We do have trip interruption insurance - first time I bought it too but I figured that since we are changing flights so many times (Victoria, Vancouver, Toronto, then Orlando) it was probably worth it. Now I'm glad that I did. I can't travel any earlier since we can't get our dog in a kennel any sooner. We're just hoping that it misses Florida altogether. I'll try not to panic.

Thanks Donald - my hero! I see it says the advisory is Sept 1-2, 2019. We're flying out of Pearson on September 3rd so maybe we'll have missed it? In any case, I think I'll get in touch with them to see what our options are.

I'm from Ontario and was set to fly out on Tuesday. I'm now stuck here for the duration though. I wouldn't recommend flying in if you don't have too. Supplies are scarce already. We went to Walmart yesterday to stock up and there was no water or canned tuna and flashlights were getting scarce. Flights are selling out making it hard for people to get out until the 9th or 10th.

What is the cancellation policy on rented points with a Hurricane? DVC member services is really good about putting points back into accounts when cancellations happen because of Hurricanes from what others have reported.

We are here now and flying home tomorrow morning. This happened two years ago as well, we flew home and a day or two later, Erma. Or was it Irma? Any way. Hopefully everything goes well for your flights.

Thanks Donald - my hero. I was hoping that we would just miss it, but it looks like we won't now. It's been 5 years since we've been to Disney and now this. I know, first world problems. Please everyone, be safe if you're stuck there. I'm going to give Westjet a call. Hopefully we can get there still - we have a Disney cruise leaving on the 7th and were hoping for 4 days of just relaxation, no parks, before our cruise. Wow can't I strike the money lottery and not the hurricane lottery?

We are here now as well and were scheduled to fly out Tuesday, but decided to change to Monday on westjet. The agent said seats were going fast and even the flight to Calgary was getting to capacity so we decided to air on the side of caution.

I hope everything works out for you. I don't have any advice, but I just know how you feel right now. I feel so bad for everyone that lives in the projected path of these storms and is directly affected. We went just after hurricane Irma. Fortunately for us, the airport opened the day before we flew in, so it all worked out. It was a miracle our flight was not affected. It really just depends on the day and where it is.

It could still change where it's headed, or not hit so badly in the projected areas, so things might still work out for you.

I hope everything works out for you. I don't have any advice, but I just know how you feel right now. I feel so bad for everyone that lives in the projected path of these storms and is directly affected. We went just after hurricane Irma. Fortunately for us, the airport opened the day before we flew in, so it all worked out. It was a miracle our flight was not affected. It really just depends on the day and where it is.

It could still change where it's headed, or not hit so badly in the projected areas, so things might still work out for you.
Aww, thanks scorpsfan. I really do appreciate it. Right now we're going to hedge our bets and fly into Toronto on Monday, Sept 2. We'll see where and when we go from there. Fingers crossed that we're still able to fly to MCO on the 3rd. I really hope it doesn't make landfall at all and everyone stays safe.

Aww, thanks scorpsfan. I really do appreciate it. Right now we're going to hedge our bets and fly into Toronto on Monday, Sept 2. We'll see where and when we go from there. Fingers crossed that we're still able to fly to MCO on the 3rd. I really hope it doesn't make landfall at all and everyone stays safe.

Crossing my fingers for everyone!

Hate to put this here .. but you all NEED to read this! I seriously doubt they'll be up and running at full capacity by the 3rd. I know it's not what anyone wants to here but i think I'd be cancelling my trip. Things will be a mess down there

Doom and gloom :( . Stay safe people. I'm glued to CNN doesn't look good for all of Florida as they're still not sure where it's going to hit and exactly when, just that it's going to hit and its not going to be good.

Hate to put this here .. but you all NEED to read this! I seriously doubt they'll be up and running at full capacity by the 3rd. I know it's not what anyone wants to here but i think I'd be cancelling my trip. Things will be a mess down there
View attachment 431173
I figured airports will close. This is my typical time that I’m there, but for whatever reason I booked later this time. The gods are watching out for me!
We don’t go down till the 15th.

Well I just got an email from Westjet saying my Toronto to Orlando leg of the flight has been cancelled on the 3rd. Of course, I'm freaking out and not sure what to do. Waiting for DH to get home so we can discuss. I've got 4 nights at OKW (rented points from an owner), then we are supposed to be on a Disney Fantasy Eastern Carribbean cruise on departing on the 7th, then another 7 days (when we get back from our cruise) at the Poly (also rented DVC points from an owner) - we are supposed to depart MCO on the 21st. I've got so many components of this trip that I've never had before. If it were a straight down and back I would go ahead and cancel but it isn't. Sheesh! I'll see what hubby wants to do before I call Westjet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!