Any DIS Board Gamers on board?

BoardGameGumbo

BJ from BoardGameGumbo
On my last trip to WDW in January, I was surprised to see board games in some of the shops. Any board gamers here on the DIS? I love seeing Disney themed board games, and we've seen an upsurge in quality games with Disney themes. (I am still hoping to pick up a copy of Jungle Cruise board game soon).

I hadn't seen the rethemed Jenga game, so thanks for that tip, I will look out for it.

I've had a few friends play Jungle Cruise -- it has been getting good reviews as a light, family game. The ones that we have played the most have been Disney Villainous, by the Prospero Hall team (they make the FunkoVerse Games as well as tons of other IP based games). This last set from Prospero Hall (Perfectly Wretched) has been a lot of fun.

I've had a few friends play Jungle Cruise -- it has been getting good reviews as a light, family game. The ones that we have played the most have been Disney Villainous, by the Prospero Hall team (they make the FunkoVerse Games as well as tons of other IP based games). This last set from Prospero Hall (Perfectly Wretched) has been a lot of fun.

I haven't had the opportunity to play any of the Villainous series yet, but I have Marvel Villainous: Infinite Power on my Christmas wish list. It got great reviews on Board Game Geek. (Incidentally, if you branch from straight Disney into the Marvel universe, there are a number of other options available, including Marvel Champions: The Card Game, which holds an 8.2 rating on BGG.)

Another game on my radar, which hasn't been released yet, is Disney Shadowed Kingdom. I usually wait to see what reviews are like before I jump on a game. This one is 2-player, and we play/collect a lot of 2-player games, so I'm hoping that this one is great.

We are big board gamers here (and video gamers, and RPG-ers, and...well...we like games). We have a couple Disney themed games (e.g. Clue), and we really like Villanous.

Yeah, I've played Marvel Villainous a few times. I realize why Marvel fans like it, but I'm not a fan of the shared Fate decks so it was a miss for me, unfortunately. Now, Marvel Champions? Oh yeah, that is a keeper -- played a Spidey Protection deck in the last game against the Green Goblin and had a blast!

But wow, I missed the Shadows Kingdom announcement. I like that Mondo art so this one is going to go on the research list. Thanks for the tip!

Huge gamers here! I even write reviews/commentary on the board gaming scene as a hobby/side hustle. Probably illegal to post for which site, though. But we play in the light to medium space, with a few heavier games thrown in when there's more time.

Huge gamers here! I even write reviews/commentary on the board gaming scene ... we play in the light to medium space, with a few heavier games thrown in when there's more time.
Same here, but a lot of the gamers I play with are not as big on the Disney genre, so I thought It would fun to come back to the DIS Boards and talk all things Disney board games again!

I'm gonna try and check out Jungle Cruise Adventure, Shadowed Kingdom, and The Haunted Mansion. But we know that the Prospero Hall team can do heavier fare -- see Pan Am in this year's crop -- so I'd love to see what PH could do with a medium weight euro style game that has a Disney theme! Anybody else?

Thank you for all the suggestions. We have started to really get into board games. It is a really nice break from video games.
Always happy to make suggestions!

The early reviews on Shadowed Kingdom are... Not encouraging, unfortunately. Jungle Cruise is fun, though, but a bit light if your group is into medium/heavy fare.

Luckily, I have a few different groups that like to play, and one of them particularly likes family weight games like Ticket To Ride, New York 1901, and Azul, and they are also big Disney fans, so I'm always on the lookout for good light games.

Love to hear what everyone's playing now, even if it is non-Disney board games.

Love to hear what everyone's playing now, even if it is non-Disney board games.

Currently, we play a lot of Splendor and Sushi Go! when we play as a family. We play so much Splendor, that I am considering picking up the expansion for it, just to give us some variety. For two-player gaming, my daughter and I have been playing Jaipur, which we have renamed "Agrabah." For co-operative gaming, we play Horrified, which is pretty good. I wish the character markers were a better quality, but the game is great.

We have tons of modern board games, but seem to go in spurts, as to what we choose to play and how often. Ticket to Ride, Azul, Carcassone, Catan, Ghost Blitz, For Sale, Junk Art, Kingdomino, Patchwork, and countless others, all hit the table regularly. I just picked up a copy of 5-Minute Dungeon. I have played it with my son's copy, so bought one for our household as well. I have at least ten unplayed 2-player games that are sitting in stand-by, waiting for me to take the time to learn the rules--Dice Throne, Fox in the Forest, Biblios, Lost Cities, Battle Line, Targi...I guess that will be my project for the winter months.

Even with a backlog of unplayed games, I still have a wishlist of at least 100 more titles that I would love to add to our collection one day. So many games, so little time, as they say.

I know the feeling -- I have a few on my "shelf of opportunity" right now (mostly euros that play well with more than two players) just waiting on our game nights to kick up again, and yet, I've got Alma Mater on the way because I like that design group so much!

Besides diving back into Disney Villainous (the TTS version has a bunch of fan-created content from Disney properties as well as other IP), we've been playing a ton of Smartphone Inc. now that the new expansion (Update 1.1) has come out. Really spices up the game experience AND fixes the issues with two and three players.

Looking at my app, most of my recent plays have been a mix of old faves and new:
  • Potion Explosion
  • Ulm
  • Unmatched
  • Calico
  • Azul
  • Teotihuacan
  • Mandala Stones
All of your two player games are personal favorites of mine (well, haven't played Battle Line, and Dice Thrones is my least favorite in the bunch) so love seeing that list.

I've thought about buying Villainous but am concerned that it would be too difficult to learn for kids. Has anyone found that to be the case? We're not a big board game family.

We have old versions of Disney Trivial Pursuit (late 90s edition), Disney Scene It, as well as Disney Monopoly and Clue Haunted Mansion. Of course the kids have gotten into them and lost most pieces. Sitting on a shelf we have still sealed Adventureland and Fantasyland.

Hmmm...the age on the box says 10+ and it sells in big box stores, and the base game has some characters (like Prince John) that are VERY straightforward to play. The rules are relatively easy, but might be challenging for young players to grasp the strategy, and games with more than three players can really drag out longer than expected (and create a little "king of the hill" syndrome, which younger gamers might not appreciate.)

I know lots of families that enjoy Villainous, but Villainous would not be the first hobby board game that I would introduce to a Disney family, so it might be better to look at one of the others that have been talked about above.

Funko has a new line of card / pop figure games coming out called "Something Wild" with characters from Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Toy Story, Villains, Mickey & Friends and The Nightmare Before Christmas. The games are card based and supposedly last under 1/2 hour. I have yet to see them in the wild, but I'm hearing they are appropriate for families.

Big gamer here as well. Not too many disney board games under my belt though

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter