Any disadvantage to booking 2 one-way airfares vs. round trip?

VeronicaZS

DIS Veteran
American has the best option (both price and schedule) for the flight to MCO but I am not thrilled with the return flight schedule on 11/8. I have been playing a game of chicken with the rates waiting for SouthWest to release their flights past 11/2. I'm hoping SW keeps their same schedule and prices as the Friday before but who knows. Now that they moved their scheduled release back to May 30 I am tempted to wait on the return flight but book the DCA-MCO American flight one way.
If the SouthWest flights end up not working out, is there any downside to booking the return flight on American as another one-way trip?

I haven't found there to be a downside myself, as I've done this several times. Most of the time the price is the same. Although, recently I did notice a small increase when I searched 1 way flights vs. round trip for the same dates on another airline. But it was minimal, around $5 each way. I suppose the only concern would be booking the trip down and then having prices skyrocket for the return flight and being locked into those dates or losing money to change the flight down. But so far, knock on wood, that hasn't happened to us.

I do it all the time, the way that flights are priced these days there is very little advantage (if any) to booking round trip with the same airline. I search one way fares all the time, and if both legs of the trip end up being the best price on the same airline, great! If not, great! Our trip in August is booked with Delta (arrival) and Southwest (departure). Delta had better fares and times for our trip down to MCO than Southwest, and I ended up getting our tickets for less than $100 each way per person out of Boston.

Nope do it all the time. Did the same thing playing chicken with airfares-Frontier finally came out with BOGO and so way down for 4 of us (with bags) $260, return on Delta (no bag fees as Delta Skymiles CC holder) $200 (with airmiles). Right now looking at something similar with trip in September.

Count me in as another one that does it all the time. Sometimes one carrier has a great price on the way down, but the way back is super high. Another carrier is high on the way down, but has a great rate on the way back. If two one ways save me money I'll book my trip that way.

The only downside I can think of is if your outbound flight is canceled and you end up not being able to make the trip, they'll refund the outbound, but not the return (assuming you purchased non-refundable tickets).

The only downside I can think of is if your outbound flight is canceled and you end up not being able to make the trip, they'll refund the outbound, but not the return (assuming you purchased non-refundable tickets).

There is some benefit to people who fly frequently, with rewards miles and such. But for the casual traveler who only flies for vacation once or twice a year, you don't rack up enough miles to earn any real benefts. When I traveled more for work, I stuck with Southwest because I was earning enough miles in a year of business travel to pay for at least two flights for vacation travel. But now that I don't travel as much, being loyal to a single airline doesn't really help me.

It’s the only way I book with Southwest. Always cheaper. I book the outgoing or returning flight first. Whichever I know to be a good deal. Then the other when the rates is where I want them. And in the rare situation. We have flown 2 different airlines. I once found a dirt cheap deal going one way from CMH to Atlanta. Then from Atlanta to MCO. All one ways. With not so bad lay overs. Just have to be creative.

The only time it can be a disadvantage is if you find yourself having to change both legs. Then you are stuck with 2 change fees (provided it's not Southwest)
But change fees, in general, are awful so hopefully, you are booking and have no plans to change anyway.
I personally have booked not only one-way fares for our next 2 trips but one way on 2 different airlines.
I've never seen it go up by booking one way, even on one airline. Not yet.

On AA at least, you can avoid the double change fee, or a non-refundable return you can't make, by calling their reservation line soon after you make the second booking and linking the PNRs. They're then treated as a single itinerary.

I frequently book two one ways, usually when I'm flying open jaw (different origin and return airport) for price and scheduling reasons. I've also nested RT fares, flying to London and then onward to Dubai, then back to London then back home again.

The only time I've seen the price go completely insane with doing the dual one way thing is going into Heathrow, so if you ever fly into London, always book RT.

I book lots of one-ways to get exactly the flight times & durations I'm after. I also frequently book one way car rentals and fly into one airport & out another (no back tracking).

But, my old "home airport" had 3 terminal buildings & divided up parking based on airline. So, it was a HUGE consideration if changing airlines mid-trip as the parking shuttle from one terminal only went to one lot. Once at the lot, you had to transfer buses to an inter-lot shuttle. Huge inconvenience if inclement weather, kids in tow, or big bags to lug. I heard this week, they're tearing it down to replace with single building & this problem will go away.

American has the best option (both price and schedule) for the flight to MCO but I am not thrilled with the return flight schedule on 11/8. I have been playing a game of chicken with the rates waiting for SouthWest to release their flights past 11/2. I'm hoping SW keeps their same schedule and prices as the Friday before but who knows. Now that they moved their scheduled release back to May 30 I am tempted to wait on the return flight but book the DCA-MCO American flight one way.
If the SouthWest flights end up not working out, is there any downside to booking the return flight on American as another one-way trip?
No downside for domestic flights. I do this all the time. With SWA I always book it this way, in fact, even if I'm flying SWA both ways, just because it's easier if I want to reschedule.

Last edited:
The only downside for doing this on domestic flights is if you have to change things.

International flights, however, I’ve seen massive discounts for doing rt or multi city vs one way.

The only time I've seen the price go completely insane with doing the dual one way thing is going into Heathrow, so if you ever fly into London, always book RT.

I’ve seen it booking through United to Dublin then out of Shannon. And for a recent flight I booked multi-city on delta, into Dublin and out of Stockholm, it was more than double the whole cost to do it one way.

So for international always check rt or multi-city.

I’ve seen it booking through United to Dublin then out of Shannon. And for a recent flight I booked multi-city on delta, into Dublin and out of Stockholm, it was more than double the whole cost to do it one way.

So for international always check rt or multi-city.
Always checking is just good practice anyway, but through Heathrow I've seen price jumps of ten times or more.

We do it more than not. Never had any issues. And if you have FF miles, you may have enough for a one-way, but not a round-trip.

I just booked us one way flights from Texas to Canada and back for Christmas vacation. The round trip fares (from every major U.S. & Canadian airline) were all higher than I liked, so I checked one ways and found that cheaper than a round trip. Score!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter