Any DVC pilots out there??

mb168

DIS Veteran
Please don't move this thread:D , I've already posted in the transportation forum...

I was just wondering if any of you have flown into Kissimee and thought maybe a DVC member that went more often has done this? I'm a private pilot and just got a plane and one of our intentions is to get to WDW faster, easier, and less stressed. My concern is how to get to and from the airport without costing an arm and a leg. I don't know what a taxi will run or if there is a shuttle service that operates there. Thanks

We fly private to WDW all the time. My husband is a private pilot and we have our own plane. We always fly into Kissimee for our trips. We have gone the taxi route and rented a car. Renting a car seems to work out better. It allows us to stop where ever we want on the way to WDW and gives us the freedom to come and go as we please. If you are looking for more specific info, feel free to email me and I'll have my DH answer your questions. Since 1984, we've flown to WDW every year at least once. I know he'll be happy to help.

mb168, I fly a business jet for a living (Citation Excel), and have flown into Kissimee several times lately. We take a cab ride to our hotel (which is very close to WDW), for about $25. Our company arranged this, so I'm not sure if this is a normal rate.
Landing runway 15 gives you a great veiw of WDW. Congratulations on buying an airplane! What did you buy?

Good luck........:cool:

Maistre Gracey, that seems about right for the cab ride. I was thinking we paid about $30. When we did take the cab, the FBO called for us so I'm not sure who they used at the time.

Maistre Gracey,
I completely "forgot" you were a pilot also. Sorry about that.:(

I bought a Cherokee 180. I had a 140 together with my dad up until October 2001. Last February I bought a house in a fly in community with a 4000' paved runway and a 36'x46' hangar already attached to the house, but had no plane:( . I picked this one up Friday after Christmas, thanks Santa. We've made numerous trips to WDW in 2002 just DW and I and made that drive back and forth just wishing that we had a plane. It's like 230 air miles from our house to Kissimee.

Do you remember which FBO you use, there are several there and have you tried the others? We don't usually use our car when we're there unless we go up to City Walk so having a car isn't a big deal every time and we can't even fly every time anyway since we have three kids and one on the way and every once in a while we take them with us;) . ( Should have got a Cherokee six...)

Thanks

LOL We do have a Cherokee Six. We have three sons, all pretty much grown now. But it worked out very well when we all traveled together. We may have one or two accompany us now. It takes us about 7 hours to fly with one stop for fuel. Last few trips we've broken it down into two days and made a stop part way to "sight-see". Last year, we stopped overnight in Savannah. It made the trip down extra nice.
We've talked about the fly-in communities. It's something that sits in the back of our mind all the time. I think it's an awesome idea!
We use Kissimee Aviation every time. I can get you their phone number. My DH carries their business card in his pocket. ;) :)

I'm from Savannah and live just south of there now. The airport is called Eagle Neck, 1GA0, about halfway between Savannah and Brunswick. Its actually funny how I got there. We sold our plane in October and in December I went there to talk to some of the guys there that are building kit planes and ended up buying this house instead. I've had a huge empty hangar now since we moved in Memorial Day. It's so nice to just walk out the door, pull the plane out, and go for a quick ride or get a couple of landings, and have it put away before dinner. We kept our old plane about an hour west of Savannah so it was only a weekend thing to go fly it. This is great. I know most of the people here would love to be only a 4 hr drive from WDW but we go quiet often just the two of us plus the stress of I-95 and heavily patrolled construction zones with no construction makes flying more than worth it not even considering the speed...

All this airplane talk makes me airsick.;)
Tomcat.gif

Now if I had a fastmover like that, I'd live at OKW and commute to work:cool: !!!!!

mb, I think we use Kissimee Aviation. Is that the one at the NW part of the field? I envy you folks that have your own airplane. I hope you have fun with it!

Barb, you are likely correct with the $30 figure, as our hotel was just short of WDW. Do you fly as well, or just your husband?

ncligs, I am use to being forgotten.....my wife forgets about me all the time! :teeth:

Fly safe everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter