Any Happy Luau experiences? (please!)

MJwritestuff

Mouseketeer
Hi all,
We leave exactly one month from today (yay!!) and one of the biggest dinner expenses we booked was the Luau, as we are staying at the Poly.
Having said that, now I see all these rotten reviews of it and I was considering cancelling, but my kids just saw Lilo and Stitch over the weekend and are really hooked. Does this feature alot of those characters?
I don't mind if the food is less than perfect - I understand it's a show, after all. But if you could reassure me in some way that this money isn't being thrown away, I'd look forward to it a bit more!
BTW, I first saw this when I was seven years old, and honestly, it was the one and only thing I clearly remember about WDW. It (to me) was just wonderful and fun, and the whole thing seemed really neat. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing?

Thanks-Melissa

MJwritestuff, thanks for posting this question. We are planning our trip for next Oct. We did Hoop de Doo last time, which we really enjoyed. This time though we wanted to go to the Luau for something different. However I too have been reading the many terrible reviews and I'm having second thoughts about it. I didn't think Lilo and Stitch were part of the show.
Anyone??????

Nope, no Lilo or Stitch in the show. We did the Luau in August. The show was nice, the food mediocre. There were some pretty rowdy people in the audience that were a pain. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a bad experience. It wasn't. I just wouldn't do it again. Sort of a 'been there, done that' kind of thing. Maybe HDDR the next time.

Since we were staying at the Poly this summer, we felt it was important to experience the luau. I'm glad we did.

The food was decent. There is salad, bread, and pineapple on your table when you arrive. Then your server brings out ribs, chicken, rice, and veggies. Finally, he/she serves dessert.

The performance is broken into three acts and it tells the story of a "city girl" who has returned home but feels she has forgotten her "roots." No Lilo and Stitch characters but the fire twirler in the third act will fascinate your children. :D

I was there this past June and had a very nice night. It was raining that night but that did not stop the show. The food was good, the salad dressing was very good, the chicken and ribs were ok and the dessert was excellent. Our server was exceptional. She was attentive and always around, even though there was a full house. The show is worth while to see. The CM's are very talented and very energetic. The finale with the fire batons was excellent.

In summary, it's not a place to go to for the food but for the show. The food is good, you could do worse at Disney World, but not great. The show is very good however.

Go to it, enjoy the night and then let others know what you thought of it.

I love the Luau. Always have, always will. There are three Dis families enjoying that show next month (we have a Group Dining reservation). We can't wait. Bring on the male hula dancers legs, ~sigh.~ (Please don't let my husband know that I just said that! ;) )

Okay, I feel a little better. After all, much of what we do "event wise" is a gamble anyway, so if it's great, then wonderful. Doesn't sound like it's going to be terrible, just maybe not everyone's cup of tea. My three kids (9,9, &7) love shows, so we'll have to wait and see!!!
Thank you everyone for responding, I'm really excited for next month...and Ryansmom, I definitely will post my trip report when I return and I've never had a bad experience yet at Disney, so I'm sure it will be encouraging!

-Melissa

We were there in August '03. LOVED IT!

We did Hoop De Doo last year (first time at WDW) and we enjoyed it. I liked the fact that it's been going on since WDW opened. There is history there that is part of the "aura" of Walt Disney World!

The luau falls in the same category. It's been there a long time. It is a WDW classic!

The story change is new but my DD6 and DW and I thought is was just fine.

I believe that Walt would have just loved what the luau represents. Authentic food and traditional rituals that Walt liked to bring to his guests. That was the original intent of the Disney parks, to give guests a taste of different parts of the world while staying at one wonderful land or world.

Here's what we did that made our Poly Luau extra special and enjoyable:

Bring the camera!
We wore matching Mickey/Minnie Aloha shirts/blouse/dresses from the Disney Catalog.
Take pics of your kids on stage when they learn how to dance!
Take pics of your family with their mouths agage in amazement at the really cool looking volcano cakes before you devour them!
Watch your kids as they are mesmerized by the beat of the drums as the fire twirler twirls the fire stick! Get pics of them watching!
We took some really nice family pics on the Poly beach (perhaps not as neat for those staying at the Poly but really neat when you're NOT staying there!).
Our DD6's six year picture is now an 8X10 on the wall at home from the Poly beach. We even got the MK castle in the background!
Be sure to get some pics with the giant idols around the Poly.
Be sure to go in the dolphin sculpure/painting art gallery in the Poly lobby. That dining table is $32,000 and took two years to make!
For pics, see my website at:
http://community.webtv.net/rtteacher

Relax, it's Disney. Nothing is horrible. Take it all in. Eat the ribs and chicken. You'll love it. Trust me!

mm6mm6 -- sounds like you had the same plan i did when i went.
of course, it was 1996, but i have 2 rolls of film from the occasion. some friends and i bought matching luau shirts and made a night of it. we took photos all over the hotel beforehand and all over the grounds afterwards. photos at the table, photos on stage. i don't remember much about the show or the food, but i remember a fun time!

BTW, do they still have an early luau with characters? i went to the later show without characters, but i remember there being an earlier show that was geared more towards kids.

:wave2: Hi Melissa
My sister and I attended the luau for the first time this past July. Since we never saw the orginial one we had nothing to compare it to except the HDDR, which we were at in 1988. I see that the 2004 Birnbaum's WDW book writes there is music from the film "Lilo and Stitch". ( It is actually referred to as "ditties, which I take to mean music). Anyway I've never seen "Lilo and Stitch" maybe some others who answer you will have. So far though I agree with the ones who have said there is no Lilo or Stitch. They do both contemporary music and some traditional Polynesian music with dancing. Just be prepared it may not be as you expect. With that said, I thought it was good, I would probably go to the HDDR again though if I had to choose between the 2. I saw there was a couple with two children who sat next to us that looked to be around 5 and 9 years old, they ended up leaving before it was over. But they were the only ones I noticed with children who did that and there were a lot of people there. So the reason they left early may have nothing to do with whether they liked the show or not.
Hope I was of some help and that you have a great time!
::MinnieMo ::MinnieMo :wave:
"Montana Minnies"

Can't say too much good about the luau here (we've done it 5 times and have posted my so so reviews in other threads). But did want to say that Lilo and Stitch are at the AK. They pose at the Island Mercantile at the door in the back of the store near the path to Camp Minnie and Mickey. They seem to be there all day. So your kids can still catch them there!

We have ressies at the Luau in about 24 days so I hope it is good. I figure Im never going to Hawaii so this is as close to a luau as Ill get. Unless I get over my fear of flying that is.I don;t think Disney does anything that is really terrible.

We'll be at the luau on the 20th of December and are really looking forward to it. I've read all the reviews and there are plenty of good ones to go with the bad ones. I'm not worried! I think my DS(11) will enjoy it and that's what's really important on this trip to me.

We were at the luau in May. It had never been a top priority on our to do list, but we really enjoyed it. I didn't expect to enjoy it but I was very pleasantly suprised! I almost didn't take my camera, I ended up taking 2 rolls of film ( those male dancers are GREAT!!) My dd's (2 and 6) loved it, too. I thought the food was good, my favorites were the pineapple bread and the salad. Definately get family pictures taken before the luau. I know you'll have a wonderful time!

I wish I could give it a happy review.. I really do.... I say run as fast as you can to Hoop Dee Doo (and don't look back)

You can read the Luau on our website link below :(

>>^..^<<

I have to agree, go back to HDDR the Luau is not woth the $$. We went fully expecting to love it- but were sadly dissappointed. The food was poor, the service very rushed. The show was good for adults but many of the childen sitting near us were bored and restless before the end. Good Luck though, and have a great trip.

Originally posted by Janet2k
I love the Luau. Always have, always will. There are three Dis families enjoying that show next month (we have a Group Dining reservation). We can't wait. Bring on the male hula dancers legs, ~sigh.~ (Please don't let my husband know that I just said that! ;) )

You're safe here, Janet! Myself, I have a terrible crush on the zebra in the Lion King show at AK. And last year we sat in the front row, and she was dancing right in front of me! ~double sigh~::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter