Any other family “trip planners” out there?

luvgoing2disney

DIS Veteran
Over the years I have become the unofficial official trip planner for our family and extended family vacations. These are not huge groups but can range from 3-12 in size, 10-80 in age.

I enjoy doing research on trips but sometimes I just put too much pressure on myself, as I want every trip to be perfect with no delays or hiccups and I know that’s impossible.

I’m in the process of making the plans for each day we will be in London and Parks this summer. DW and I have never been but DS has. Hotels, flights, rail, plays, and a few tours are booked with the others already planned but I create so much stress for myself it takes some of the fun out.

Anyone else do the same thing? I know I can’t be the only one!

I'm the planner in my family, including a cruise a couple years ago for both sets of our parents plus our family to Europe.

We only usually travel with my parents to WDW. We’re the planners, but it gets a little annoying as they don’t care about planning, they just get a daily iteniary of the parks. I mean even airfare they don’t want to hear flight options, just us book what we think. I guess maybe we’ve gone enough together they know Disney and have confidence all will be fine.
We are cruising next summer with DH’s parents and planning is a little more fun as they like to hear all about it. DH is actually making a pdf book for them of the cruise with all the info. Updating as stuff is finalized. Right now book is pretty small as so far out but has mostly ship information. The difference between our parents is DH’s don’t travel, this will be their first cruise and to Alaska where they’ve wanted to cruise for the past 30 years.

Im slightly different, I love doing "research" I mean all the time, I wanna knows whats close to my hotel, whats the good restaurants are, clubs, odd things to do, where to stay away from.... But for day to day activity, there will be know planing, I like to see whats I feel like, but having knowledge of whats going on around me

Over the years I have become the unofficial official trip planner for our family and extended family vacations. These are not huge groups but can range from 3-12 in size, 10-80 in age.

I enjoy doing research on trips but sometimes I just put too much pressure on myself, as I want every trip to be perfect with no delays or hiccups and I know that’s impossible.

I’m in the process of making the plans for each day we will be in London and Parks this summer. DW and I have never been but DS has. Hotels, flights, rail, plays, and a few tours are booked with the others already planned but I create so much stress for myself it takes some of the fun out.

Anyone else do the same thing? I know I can’t be the only one!
I have planned group trips on occasion and I guess I was lucky because our travelling companions knew very little about the details and cared even less, beyond just wanting to enjoy the destinations. I knew everybody really well and had a good handle on what they would like, and their abilities to tolerate the little issues that can arise. I loved making the arrangements and was so excited to share the days I'd planned with them. To date, it's always gone well and I wish you the same good luck! :wave2:

Im slightly different, I love doing "research" I mean all the time, I wanna knows whats close to my hotel, whats the good restaurants are, clubs, odd things to do, where to stay away from.... But for day to day activity, there will be know planing, I like to see whats I feel like, but having knowledge of whats going on around me

Like you I love doing the research. I just worry that what I’ve planned will be ok with everyone. Even though I share thoughts with them, they always say “Whatever you decide” or “I’m OK with whatever you book.” So this actually puts a little more stress intro hoping everyone is happy lol!

I'm such a planner. I even make daily agendas. I have vacations planned that we had considered but honestly probably won't ever take, such as Disney World.

I am the planner and really enjoy it. Usually we discuss things and I do the research and book and make the schedule. But, we are going to London and Paris this summer including a day and a half at DLP and my DM who is traveling with DH and I insisted on using a TA. I hate it and wish I would have done it myself. We met with her in mid August and our hotels and plane were not booked until mid November. Our trip is 3 months away and I am so anxious. I don’t know if our train rides are booked or the attractions. If I was handling this the various days things went on sale I would have taken care of them. We will touch base with her this week.

Last edited:
I'm the planner for our family. We usually have 10-14 people ranging in age from early 20's to 70's. I enjoy the planning and putting everything together. Our group tends to be pretty laid back and relaxed, "go with the flow" kind of people. I figured I was doing a good job when a couple of years ago on a cruise our DIL developed a kidney stone and to this day she still says it was the "best vacation ever."

I'm the planner for our family. We usually have 10-14 people ranging in age from early 20's to 70's. I enjoy the planning and putting everything together. Our group tends to be pretty laid back and relaxed, "go with the flow" kind of people. I figured I was doing a good job when a couple of years ago on a cruise our DIL developed a kidney stone and to this day she still says it was the "best vacation ever."
I can identify with your DIL. Last fall I had one appear the day before we left on a 10 day cruise. He stayed the entire trip and I named him Adolph as in Hitler. How one little stone could cause so much pain....
But still had a great cruise!

I’m like this..I want to know what we can do. If there’s something that has to be reserved in advance I’ll do that but mostly I want to know my options.

I'm the vacation planner for me and DH and for any other family trips we take with the kids and grand kids.

I am the trip planner for our family. Now it is for DH and I mostly. I plan out the days but leave some time for free time. Next year we are looking into Disney with our DSs, DDILs, and 5 grandchildren. There will be 11 of us. I am going to enlist the help of DDIL's especially my younger DDIL. She has Disney trip planning experience. It will be nice (I hope!) to plan together.

I’m the trip planner. However its just us and the kids. On occasion my mom.
I refuse to travel in big groups. Does not sound appealing to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!