Any recent experiences activating Canadian Tickets at hotel instead of guest services at the Parks or Disney Springs?

We stayed at the Beach Club in March of last year (2019) and had the Canadian resident tickets as part of a package (I was traveling with my DH and DD17). When we went to the front desk to pick up our magic bands, we were able to show our passports and have our magic bands activated right there. We were heading straight to Epcot and I brought my passports along just in case (I never fully trust Disney's tech!) but we sailed right through the touch points with no need to go to a guest services window. We're heading back this March and have our fingers crossed that it's still this easy :)
I'm glad that worked for you! We stayed at Pop in April of 2019, showed our passports at check-in and when we went to tap in at the MK the following morning our Mickey's turned blue and we had to visit Guest Services. Like you we had taken our Passports just in case.

While it took a little extra time to enter (as I'd anticipated we'd need to go to Guest Services) trying to tap and having the Mickey's turn blue sent a warning off to the Guest Services team. I was contacted via email within 60 mins saying they noticed we'd had problems. They asked if all was resolved and gave us each an 'anytime' FP. Bonus! Off to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train we wanted with no wait! :)

I'm glad that worked for you! We stayed at Pop in April of 2019, showed our passports at check-in and when we went to tap in at the MK the following morning our Mickey's turned blue and we had to visit Guest Services. Like you we had taken our Passports just in case.

While it took a little extra time to enter (as I'd anticipated we'd need to go to Guest Services) trying to tap and having the Mickey's turn blue sent a warning off to the Guest Services team. I was contacted via email within 60 mins saying they noticed we'd had problems. They asked if all was resolved and gave us each an 'anytime' FP. Bonus! Off to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train we wanted with no wait! :)

Our first park is DHS. A ROTR fast pass would be nice hahah (hey a girl can dream)

Our first park is DHS. A ROTR fast pass would be nice hahah (hey a girl can dream)
If you're hoping to get into The Studios as your first park with the plans of getting a boarding group I'm sure you know the drill and I doubt you'd want the whole passport issue to get in the way of what was only a 90 second window a few days last week :O

If you're hoping to get into The Studios as your first park with the plans of getting a boarding group I'm sure you know the drill and I doubt you'd want the whole passport issue to get in the way of what was only a 90 second window a few days last week :O

Yes I am avidly following the BG thread. We have another HS day later in the week if things really go south.

Yes I am avidly following the BG thread. We have another HS day later in the week if things really go south.
we're currently here and I can't make hubby get up that early to wait in a sea of 12,000 of our closest strangers and not even guarantee that we actually get to ride!

we did get to pilot the falcon last night though and OH EM GEE soo much fun!!!!!

We stayed at the Beach Club in March of last year (2019) and had the Canadian resident tickets as part of a package (I was traveling with my DH and DD17). When we went to the front desk to pick up our magic bands, we were able to show our passports and have our magic bands activated right there. We were heading straight to Epcot and I brought my passports along just in case (I never fully trust Disney's tech!) but we sailed right through the touch points with no need to go to a guest services window. We're heading back this March and have our fingers crossed that it's still this easy :)

I was wondering this too. So we should be able to activate our tickets at our resort as well since it's part of a package. Good to know! (I'll be sure to take our passports when we go the first day just in case!)

We always go to Disney springs arrival night for dinner and to wander so that is my plan . Of the kids get up super early to go to a park and they get held up i end up with crabby kiddos .

I was wondering this too. So we should be able to activate our tickets at our resort as well since it's part of a package. Good to know! (I'll be sure to take our passports when we go the first day just in case!)

I'm hoping this is the case too!

It appears to be that if the Canadian tickets are part of a package then hotel activation works.

But if tickets and hotel are purchased separately (even if you are staying at a WDW hotel) then you need to go to guest services to activate.

We were just there over Christmas and we checked into our hotel late in the evening around 9pm and the following morning we were going to Hollywood Studios for Rise of the Resistance so we did not want to be dealing with activating our canadian offer tickets then. We asked at check in and it had to be done at guest services at the park. We were staying at Bay Lake so we ran over to Magic Kingdom and we were able to get them from guest services there.

We were staying through our DVC so not a package

Last edited:
Following. I had never heard before that tickets with a package didn't require activation. They are still the Canadian discount tickets?

We will be there in 13 days (!!) And I will be testing the theory at Pop. But I am fully expecting a no.

I wish that one person could activate for all members of the party. That would make my life so much easier.

When we did it a couple of years ago, my kids were grabbing a snack - they let DH and I activate our Cdn discoubt tickets without them. Even better, they gave us the hard tickets without requiring us to link them to MDE. These are tix we bought for the future so we were happy not to have to link them.

Thank you everyone who is sharing their experiences.

Could those reporting your experiences please also specifically indicate if you had booked a package OR if you had booked hotel and tickets separately?

You could still be staying at a WDW hotel but not have a package booked (eg. tickets from air miles and hotel booked direct with Disney, tickets from undercover tourist and hotel only booked through Disney, tickets purchased direct from Disney and hotel from Expedia tourist, tickets purchased from Disney - making them final sale - and then hotel only booked through Disney, etc).

This will help to figure out if it’s the package that is the deciding factor for hotel activation.

@ILovePixieDust Good idea. I can say for our trip in Apr 2018 we had a room only reservation with tickets separate (both purchased from Disney). On that trip we were required to activate at Guest relations at a park/DS. Staying at Pop that trip.

We will be testing the package theory on Sunday(!!!). This trip we have a package with room discount, Canadian discount tickets, and gift card (hurrah) - also (obviously) purchased direct via Disney.

Thank you everyone who is sharing their experiences.

Could those reporting your experiences please also specifically indicate if you had booked a package OR if you had booked hotel and tickets separately?

You could still be staying at a WDW hotel but not have a package booked (eg. tickets from air miles and hotel booked direct with Disney, tickets from undercover tourist and hotel only booked through Disney, tickets purchased direct from Disney and hotel from Expedia tourist, tickets purchased from Disney - making them final sale - and then hotel only booked through Disney, etc).

This will help to figure out if it’s the package that is the deciding factor for hotel activation.

Here now and on a package (room discount, tickets and dining plan Checked into Animal Kingdom Lodge and did not have to go to guest relations to verify my Canadian tickets. But I wouldn’t assume that having a package is the deciding factor.

I am willing to bet it's a resort category thing and not a package thing. Because those with succes seemed to not be at values. Will confirm tomorrow!!

We checked in Jan 19. Purchased cdn resident passes separately and staying at Bay Lake Tower. Could not activate tickets at check in. Had to go to GS.
We used our drivers licences for ID no issues. Kids are 7 and 5. Didn’t ask for Id for them. Just ours.

We stayed at POP 2018 and POR March 2019 and had our tickets activated at check in. POP the year before, they did it without even being asked, as before we always ended up at guest services. POR last year we did have to ask and there seemed to be some confusion as to whether they could or not. The girl at check in seemed new, she asked another receptionist who directed her to the shift supervisor, she had them activated in seconds. The only Id required was my drivers lisc at check in. If they tell you they cant at reception, it may pay to ask if someone else could or go to the concierge as they seem to be more senior staff. Id sooner take a half hour in the resort lobby at check in than an hour at GS in line waiting to get into the park

We’re staying at POP (Jan 2020) and our tickets seem to have been activated at check in. It was late when we checked in and I forgot to ask. The CM checking us in either only checked my ID or didn’t check ID at all (I was tired and don’t remember - but definitely didn’t ask for DH or kids’ ID). We brought our passports to the park the next day, but our bands scanned without problem, so we didn’t need to go to customer relations or show our ID there either.

We are booked in a package, fwiw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter